Co-worker Made Fun of Audiophilia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Since I'm running it through an outboard DAC, yes. The iPhone I was using sounds more closed in. It doesn't sound *bad* but I mean, there's no comparison with a dedicated audio component.

2. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

I bet your co -worker has a reasonable car.
    His car could be a POS but he's no doubt chosen better....

so have you...

3. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

So, I also listen to music at work, which I consider a perk and a privilege, and don't take it for granted, and I allow my team to to the same.

I really don't obsess about the sound quality when listening whilst working, because I know there will be a million distractions from the office and I'll have to keep stopping and starting to talk to people. So I plug in my (not inexpensive) earbuds into my iPhone and listen to my files or Spotify playlists. This takes me seconds to arrange.

I'd also think it a bit odd if one of my employees insisted on bringing a whole elaborate set-up to their desk every day so that they could get their music in the top supremo quality, when essentially it's just a nice-to-have thing that we let them do.

To use the smoking analogy, I kind of feel like it'd be like one of the smokers in my team coming in with their own tobacco in a fancy box, weighing it out on some ornate scales, taking 5 minutes to roll the cigarette just so, taking out a little gold guillotine to chop the ends off all nicely...

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If one have the oportunity to enjoy music it s a good thing. If one is allowed to set-up an audophil system it s a privelige. If one become surprised when the collegues comment this behaviour it s a bit weird.
    Work is work
    Hobbies or obsessions does not really belong there-but if they are allowed be grateful

Grant, stereoptic and Buff Terror like this.
  5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Audiophile harassment is not acceptable in the workplace. The offender should be reported to HR, and undergo sensitivity training by listening to brickwalled CDs for 8 hours straight.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

His head would explode if he joined this forum and saw some waveforms and DR numbers. :laugh:

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

How about Metallica - Death Magnetic. :laugh:

JeffMo and bleachershane like this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'd explain the co-worker one thing or two and then show pics of different waveforms on my iPhone ;)

..seriously, I wouldn't bother too much. They want good music even if bad soundig? Not much we can do (sadly).

Farmer Mike and Axis_67 like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What kind of place do you work at where people refer to others' interests as "stupid"? When I work late, I listen to a full stereo- SACD player, separate pre/power amps, and stand mounted speakers. In 20+ years of having a stereo system in my office, I've never heard a single disparaging remark. In fact, from time to time, I've had young employees ask to hear the system, sometimes bringing their own CD they want to hear.

Another guy in the office has a Linn DS system with Naim Amp and Harbeth bookshelf speakers, which is pretty cool played from his laptop. There aren't any other "audiophiles", but even people with Beats headphone use them because they want better sound, not because they don't care.

And I am fairly confident that no one, from the corner offices to the mailroom, would openly ridicule their coworkers.

Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Tensilversaxes and PH416156 like this.
  10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I went to a party and my wife introduced me to a colleague, saying "I've told her you can tell her all about headphones". Sensing the mood in the room I asked "are you actually interested?". Sure enough, she admits that she isn't. So the colleague asks me later "do you work for a headphone company?" Not a bad conversational gambit I suppose but way wide of the mark.

Despite the fact that pretty much everyone claims to like music, they generally have any interest in music reproduction. Even the kids who want "more bass" are audiophiles by comparison with the average. I find it odd but, hey, I got mine.

11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

You should set up a turntable at work and only listen to records. He would then understand after seeing all the media reports about the resurgence of vinyl and how true audiophiles listen to music. Or he might dismiss you as a trendy hipster.

12. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

Jeez, why didn't you just title this thread "Should making fun of audiophiles be classified as a hate crime?" :rolleyes:

Some people around here need to grow thicker skin . . .

13. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I'm in my mid 40's and have a pretty large circle of friends, co-workers, acquaintances, etc. Many of them truly enjoy music but I'm the ONLY one in that group that has any interest in the quality of audio playback/equipment. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I wouldn't worry about what your co-worker thinks. Just enjoy the music. Heck, I'm envious you have time to listen to music at work!

14. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I went to a small gathering at a friend's new house the other night. He plugged his phone into a small speaker for music. I was there for the friends, not the music.

15. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

You know what I say? To hell with the anti-audiophile people! :winkgrin: I recently had a young guy that works with me debate me about pizza. I was talking about the general pursuit of finding and enjoying great pizza, and he said that he didn't get it. Pizza is junk food and all pizza is pizza. As long as it's cheap and fills you up that's all you need.

If you pull up in a Porsche is it valid for someone to say that the real joy is driving, and it doesn't matter what or how you drive, it's just the act of driving that's great? How about art? Why bother with museums when you can take a giant coffee table book out of the library. That will show you all you need to see right?

Bottom line is it's human nature to object to what you don't understand, whether due to lack of experience, lack of interest, or just plain ignorance. Case in point: I sent that young guy to a great pizza place, the next day he said he'd have to eat his words, the pizza was amazing and unlike any he'd had before.

Tensilversaxes and jfeldt like this.
  16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I can respect the kind of audiophile who puts the music first but finds it enhanced by optimum sound quality. The ones who bug me are the ones who put sound quality over the quality of the music. They're out there. (I'm into lo-fi myself. There's just something about it.)

Ash76 and Jackson like this.
  17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Frequently, music can enhance job performance. That's why so many companies have had it piped in for decades.

18. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

I wouldn't worry about your co-worker but if your boss isn't pleased with your routine maybe it's time to rethink it.
    In the mid eighties through the nineties,I carried my cd boom boxes on every job site I went on.My boss knew this.Tools,equipment,tunes.He also knew I worked hard,knew my trade and made him lots and lots of money.One day he took my company van for service.When I got it back I found he had taken it to a shop and installed an absolutely killer custom stereo system in it.
    I understand wanting the best sound and all,but if everyone is amused and or annoyed at you,maybe thats not the best place for you.Only you know that.

sassi and LivingForever like this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Frankly does this setting up impinge on working hours? Also what about people who don't want to listen to music all day? I imagine the OP's office is full of sound from headphone leak through. IMO this should be banned and is not acceptable in the work place as it intrudes on and distracts others. It is worrying if people have become so addicted to constant music that they claim to need it in order to perform. Bosses should not indulge this behaviour as long term it is going to result in loss of productivity and friction. Plenty of time to listen to music at home and traveling to and from work.

serendipitydawg likes this.
  20. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Had your co-worker said ''when i listen to music AT WORK i don't worry about sound quality'' i'd be with him a hundred percent. Personally i've always saved my music listening for my music room, my car, or any concerts i choose to attend.

DiabloG, bluelips and JeffMo like this.
  21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

You are exactly right. That's why CDs with A DR of 7/8 are common and ITunes sells MP3s.

22. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

People appear unintelligent (at least to me) for mocking something they don't understand. It's great to be passionate about things in life, whatever they may be. Do not let other people steal your joy.........

Grant and Tensilversaxes like this.
  23. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Maybe you should get a Pono ...

24. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I'll bet your coworker would piss with delight if he knew how worked up he had made so many people with his comment. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Oh, you do!

Disraeli Gears likes this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Even as a fellow audiophile, I'd probably chuckle a bit that you bring an outboard DAC to hook up in addition to the laptop.

I get jokes from my co-workers cause I come in with a handful of CD's every day. I just play them with the cd-rom drive on the computer and listen with full over the ear headphones. Most of my co-wokers, if they listen to music, its from an ipod/iphone or tablet with earbuds.

bluelips likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.