Co-worker Made Fun of Audiophilia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

The "masses" = audiots.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Is this guy actually from the area (Philly/PA)? Remarks like that will get you beaten in NY/NJ.

jkoponen likes this.
  3. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Bah. I get ribbed for still carrying a portable CD player, but whatever. The music sounds great and I don't have to use the "bleeding edge" in the office.

Let the Plaintrons live in their brickwalled cork-sniffing fantasy world if they want to.

jkoponen likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I prefer the term Unwashed Masses!

jkoponen likes this.
  5. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

I listen to:
    1) The construction of melody/harmony/rhythm
    2) The performance quality
    3) The lyrics
    4) The sound quality

In that order of priority

petem1966 likes this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I guess im missing the point of this thread.
    He uses Plantronics....so what? Does that effect you somehow?
    As long as he enjoys the music, whats the big deal?

Buff Terror and Disraeli Gears like this.
  7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

So, "Audiophilia" is quite a word. So I bet the co-worker wouldn't even understand what that means. So it's really not much of a problem after all. So long as we begin every sentence with 'so', we shall overcome...

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am allowed to listen to music at work via headphones when I am coding (Among my job duties where I work is creating computer software). Anyone indicating that you shouldn't be able to listen to music at work or that doing so makes people less productive is working from a "old school" thought about the typical workplace.

My job does require I attend a lot of meetings (obviously I can't listen to music at that time, even if the meeting is a telephone conference call), but when I am coding programs, etc - I am doing that alone. The music shuts out the din of the office and helps me actually concentrate on what I am doing (if you can believe that!!) and I find I code quicker than when I am not listening to music.

So I suggest some people open up their minds and move away from the old way of thinking in that certain jobs can benefit from music listening via headphones, and can even increase productivity.

I agree that not every job is conducive to personal music listening, but there are many where listening to music via headphones will have no ill effect on the workplace, and could allow somebody to be just as productive (or even more productive than usual).

Grant, Dino, Thievius and 7 others like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I might be going out on a limb but i am guessing argumentitive and confrontational exchanges at the work place are not limited to the dac.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Me, I'd take a piss in the coworkers coffee.

But that's me.

EasterEverywhere and Peter Pyle like this.
  11. Your coworkers are right to mock you, OP. Taking 10 minutes or so every morning to set up a fancy dedicated audio system in your cube? That's a bit much. That's like taking specialized cutlery and place settings to the food court.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Lots 'o' Beats where I work. I've got some Sony V-6 headphones, decaying earpads, $3.50 at a local thrift store. Hook 'em up to my Nano. No problems. The Sonys are efficient, have a nice tonal balance, go deep without being irresponsible about it, look positively retro. Don't see the point of 'ultimate sound' in the workplace. Simplicity, ease of use, portability are all more important. That said, Sony V-6s into a Nano playing Apple Lossless files ain't exactly chopped liver either. More than good enough as background music for data entry.

sami and Dudley Morris like this.
  13. Vinyl Addict

Because hes not an audiophile?

24voltsdc, Buff Terror and Gaslight like this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

Thats exactly what I was thinking

24voltsdc, Ken and jjjos like this.
  15. jimdavies111

jimdavies111 Active Member

I have never worked anywhere that this would even be allowed.

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I hope this isn't considered a threadcrap, but I'd likely side with your co-workers on this one. Basically when you stated that "it's kind of a process to get everything set up and taken down". Is it really that necessary to listen to some tunes via the process, I assume in the background, while you're working?

It suppose it depends on the job, but the profession I'm in you wouldn't be listening to any music at all if you're focused on several tasks where you need to concentrate. The best analogy I can think of is music in the car - when it's in the background it's fine for day-to-day driving when you're kind of on auto-pilot mode. But when you have to really concentrate, both hands go on the wheel and the music goes off. That's kind of how my job is. most of the time.

If I'm listening in the office at all, it's on my phone as that's really all I need. But more times than not, there's simply no music at all. My good DAC / headphones would actually end up distracting me from my work tasks.

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No, because people need to mind their own business and the op shouldn't give a **** what the coworkers think.,- but that's me

Farmer Mike, jkoponen and Peter Pyle like this.
  18. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

I am struggling to get the point of this thread - would anyone bother to put it in a simple sentence for me? The only thing I got so far is that the OP claims not to be audio snob and yet considers himself part of a "small breed of people". If that's his attitude towards his colleagues I can see why some of them might be annoyed sometimes (although I have to say that the description of the meticulous process of OP deploying his audiophile setup in what appears to be an open space office is a strong contender as well :)))

19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I keep picturing that poor guy in the movie ''Office Space''.

20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

If you do anything in a work environment that is different to what everyone else does someone will comment. It is the nature of things.

Grant and Vinyl Addict like this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The same people that have 40" high definition TV's, but they listen to music on the equivilant of what would be small black and white teles with bad reception.

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This is close to my experience. I bought a very unpretentious entry level system off Craigslist for my office. Onkyo receiver, Monitor Audio speakers with a small Yamaha "sub-woofer." I only source FM or my I-pod/I-phone.

My younger co-workers frequently bring their music into my office to have a listen. Occasionally at 4:45 on a Friday I'll put on a little old school Funk and crank it up a bit. It happens if people are hanging around and the work has slowed to a trickle. If I haven't done it for a while I get some nudges from co-workers like, "how about some tunes?" or "we need a little Funk to get this weekend started."

I'm very aware of not abusing the privilege and I make sure my music isn't too loud during working hours. Maybe your "ritual" is disruptive to some coworkers. Their comments are a little rude.

mooseman and action pact like this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

One thing I have learned from this thread, cover up your coffee when unattended.

mooseman, Zeki, Andrew Russe and 7 others like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Mindless spreadsheet or database work is another good time for tunes to help. I would suggest that listening to classical music, instrumental jazz, and ambient electronic music can also help with creativity process when needing to problem solve, write up some technical results, or brainstorm a powerpoint presentation. Some may be able to do these tasks while listening to vocals, or heavy metal, or classic rock, etc. but I find the instrumental music is better for me.

Having said that.....

I agree with this post. I can live with my iPod/iPhone in the car, at the gym, and in an office environment. The audiophile listening for me is at home with my vinyl and cd systems.

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What's funny about that analogy is I distincly remember in the early 90s, before Starbucks exploded and raised the bar on high quality coffee in the office and urban areas, a coworker who brought his own fresh ground coffee, a filter, and this green plastic thing that he would pour hot water over to brew a single serve cup of joe!

nbakid2000 and LivingForever like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.