Coal Black Mornings (Brett Anderson of Suede) --> my book review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrBeatle, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist Thread Starter

MagneticNorthpaw likes this.
  2. DrBeatle

*bump* anyone?

3. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

...I have it on order from a seller on ebay. Got it quite cheap. Really looking forward to reading it....

DrBeatle likes this.
  4. DrBeatle

Nice! Let me know what you think of it after you've read it. I'm curious to hear other opinions on this book.

RobNeil likes this.
  5. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Good review, by the way...

DrBeatle likes this.
  6. DrBeatle

Thank you! :)

7. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I listened to the audiobook read by Brett himself. I liked it.

DrBeatle and RobNeil like this.
  8. Tarpt40

Tarpt40 Forum Resident

Thought the prose style was extremely elegant and flowed beautifully but didn't think there was much content to be honest. Would have preferred the timespan to cover the formation and glory years of the band as standard as this approach might be. Far more interesting than learning about Brett's adventures in further education. By the ay am I also the only forum member to think that Johnny Marr's auto- blog was a major disappointment with no revelatory anecdotes?

DrBeatle likes this.
  9. DrBeatle

I can see where you're coming from, but I also see Brett's point about not wanting to write yet another typical rock star memoir. Plus he already revealed a ton in the authorized Suede bio from several years back. I thought his approach with Coal Black Mornings was a refreshing change.

As for Marr's book, I really liked it and thought it was a nice overview of his life and career (here's my review of it --> The Rock and Roll Chemist: BOOK REVIEW: Set the Boy Free (Johnny Marr) ) . Again, the Smiths have been done to death, especially in the two excellent bios by Johnny Rogan (The Rock and Roll Chemist: BOOK REVIEW: Morrissey and Marr: The Severed Alliance ) and Tony Fletcher (The Rock and Roll Chemist: BOOK REVIEW: A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of The Smiths ), and both with Marr's involvement...no need to rehash that stuff again.

simpledaydream likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I have just finished it and loved it. It's one of the best autobiographies, I have ever read because it gives you an impression of personality. Which is actually pretty hard to achieve. In fact the book made me look at my own history. Which is something I wouldn't necessarily expect from a musician's biography. Also like the fact that the design ties in with the recent "Solo Collection" box. And that - just like Robert Forster - Brett decided not to print any photos. Whoever wants a standard bio should head directly for the excellent "Love & Poison" from 2003.

As for "Coal Black Mornings", there's a lot going on in this - fairly - slim volume. A bit like early Suede gigs: Leave the audience wanting more. I hope unlike those early gigs there will be an "encore". :righton:

DTK and DrBeatle like this.
  11. DrBeatle

I completely agree with everything you said, especially the part I bolded. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I saw it in Brett's book and I thought it about it on my own...even though he had a sister and I have daughters (along with a son), I think it's that bond between father and son that is so...mysterious, for lack of better word. It's what made me really think about my link to my dad and my son is and how I should start to think about it. Like you said, not something you'd normally think about from a rock musician's memoir!

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

Completely agree. I love Suede but lyrically I wouldn't have put Brett in the same league as Robert Forster. Now after reading "Coal Black Mornings" I have to say that as a writer he's as good as Robert. Which is a late triumph in itself because Forster is extremely skilled. But to witness Brett strip away the masks and reveal something of real depth and honesty (yet witty)... well it's fascinating. I just hope he will give us more.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I’m absolutely loving this book. Really need to go to sleep though....

A page turner unquestionably.

DrBeatle likes this.
  14. DrBeatle

It is. I finished it in a matter of 2-3 days and I could've finished it even sooner had I not been so busy those few days. Very easy to read yet very well written, and those don't always go together.

That was what struck me, the underlying wit. Suede and Brett always have this air of seriousness and dourness, but there's a lot of subtle humor in Suede's music and there definitely was in Brett's book. When you can spot those bits, it makes it all the more enjoyable.

Neonbeam and RobNeil like this.
  15. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I’ll be looking for my next read very soon I think.

Recommendations....? I could try Love And Poison I guess.

DrBeatle likes this.
  16. DrBeatle

That's definitely the one to read next. If you can, look for the updated version of Love and Poison (titled simply Suede: The Authorised Biography). It's even better than the first edition with tons of extra info and footnotes. The link to my review of it is in the Coal Black Mornings review if you haven't already read it.

RobNeil likes this.
  17. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Thank you...

DrBeatle likes this.
  18. DrBeatle

You're welcome. There's also an Amazon button for ordering the Suede bio in the Coal Black Mornings review if that makes it easier for you. The little bit of $ I get from that helps me keep the lights on :cool:

I need to re-read that book again, it's great. I've read it a few times over the last several years and I always learn something new or remember something when I do.

19. Neonbeam

There are three editions so far but I'm going to simply reread my first edition. I mean.... buying multiple copies of certain album is bad enough already. :evil:

Glenn coates, RobNeil and DrBeatle like this.
  20. DrBeatle

This book ended up being very timely with the news of the new Suede album announced last night!

21. Insatiable One

Insatiable One Active Member

Beautiful book.

DrBeatle likes this.
  22. DrBeatle

It really was. I do wish it were it a bit longer but he writes in as florid and romantic a style as he sings and write song lyrics. I've heard there is a second memoir from him due out toward the end of 2019. I am eagerly awaiting that one, too!

Insatiable One likes this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Finished it yesterday -- definitely an enjoyable, easy read. Better than I was expecting, actually.

However, feels like two distinct parts that don't quite blend together. Once the band gets going everything with his father goes by the wayside and he isn't mentioned again. Feels odd after introducing us to such a compelling character. Now that Brett has revealed he's writing another book I assume his father will reappear...but I was a bit disappointed that the book ends up being a cliffhanger rather than a well-rounded, complete story.

DrBeatle likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

I felt similarly to you, although since Brett mentioned at the beginning that he was stopping it once the band began to take off, it made sense. What's confusing me now is, while I'm excited for his next book, what's it going to be about? He made it quite clear he didn't want to write about his life in Suede, so I'm curious to see where he goes with the next one.

25. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

According to The Bookseller, the sequel is called Afternoons with the Blinds Drawn and will "tell the story of the heyday of Suede, his unique partnership with Bernard Butler and "unflinchingly" explore his relationship with addiction."

CBS 65780 and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.