Cold Endings (Songs that faded out but have since been released with a Cold Ending)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mudbone, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist Thread Starter

Michael's message about the cold ending version of "The Letter" by the Box Tops makes me wonder how many songs are out there that originally faded but have since been released with a cold ending.

I can think of 3 others:

Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf - Vintage Music Vol 9
    Cold Sweat - James Brown - CD of JB
    The Wanderer - Dion - History of Rock Vol 10

Are there any more out there?

mud-

2. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Wasn't "Mystery Dance" by Elvis Costello given a cold ending on the Rykodisc reissue?

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Laugh Laugh - Beau Brummels on Rhino comp.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Actually, Cold Sweat always ended with a cold ending, if you count Pt.2 on the flipside of the 45...

James Brown's "Superbad" ends cold now. It appears on a JB compilation containing several remixes and extended versions. I can't recall the name of the CD and i'm too lazy to look right now...

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Bob Dylan's I'll Be Your Baby Tonight on the error version of Biograph.

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Monkees: Valleri
    Ricky Nelson: Travelin' Man
    Rick Nelson: For You
    Grass Roots: Let's Live For Today
    Eddie Cochran: Summertime Blues
    Traffic: Paper Sun
    Buchanan Brothers: Medicine Man

Just a few for starters...

ED:cool:

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

If I remember correctly, I believe the ending to What is Life by George Harrison can now be heard on the ATMP remaster.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'll also add that the remix of James Brown's "(Say It Loud) I'm Black And I'm Proud" now ends cold.

10. mudbone

Hi ED, which cds are these on? We need details ya know.

mud-:D

11. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I can think of several "Berlin School" tracks that fall into this category...

Three Klaus Schulze tracks:
    "Sense" -- full length version is over 45 minutes long, original LP has only 32 of that
    "Georg Trakl" -- from less than five minutes on the album to more than 25 minutes on one of the box sets
    "The Looper Isn't A Hooker" (they ran out of space when mastering the LP, so they just faded it out!)

And Manuel Göttsching's classic 60-minute jam "E2-E4" only became available in its unabridged form when the CD came out. The original LP fades out about halfway in, and cuts about 10 minutes out.

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The cold ending Monkees "Valleri" is on Rhino's Nuggets Volume One (the old one, not the one that came out in conjunction with the Nuggets box set. The Beau Brummels "Laugh Laugh" cold ending version was on this one as well), and the Listen To The Band Monkees box set. It was also on Arista's Then And Now...The Best Of The Monkees if I remember correctly.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Who's "Glow Girl" faded out on the original O&S LP, while it comes to a full ending on the remixes.

14. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I believe another is Hey Joe on the Byrds box set.

Brian

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yep - count-off as well.

16. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Quite right, Fr. Mackenzie. Always has bugged me. -- But perhaps it only faded on the Columbia (USA) LP? Perhaps the UK version always had the cold cut?

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Aerosmith - Last Child (Pandora's Box)

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Desafanado on Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd DCC versions. I let the song come to a complete stop rather than fade it out. Shame on me, but I thought the cold ending was rather nice.

Bob Lovely sent me a version of (Sorry) I Ran All The Way Home by The Impalas that ends cold.

All those Capitol EMI remixes have a lot of cold endings now: "Surf City", etc. Actually they just aren't faded out. The ending is just musicians screwing around until they stop tape.

19. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

20. mudbone

Hi Steve, would these be the "Collector's Series" or just any individual artist's cds that were remixed?

I always wondered what happened when the music faded.

mud-

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The Collectors Series, or anything else mixed by Ron F. at EMI. He just let 'em go!

22. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

On Van Halen's "Women And Children First," there's an untitled instrumental that is buried after the last song, "In A Simple Rhyme." On the album, it faded out, but on both the original and remastered CDs, it has an ending.:thumbsup:

23. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yep, Mud, most of those funny bunnies are on the EMI LEGENDARY MASTERS SERIES and several on CAP COLLECTORS; as Steve notes, Mr. Furmanek loved letting those tapes run, and run, and run...with some intro studio talk that, over time, will bug the hell out of you. I'm pretty sure the Gary Lewis, Jan & Dean, Cher, Bobby Vee, etc., have at least one of those on each; others in the series, too, no doubt.

As for my little contribution, well....good to see you're lively and inquisitive despite that soup diet you've been on for so long...:laugh:

Here goes:

Travelin' Man: Just about any CD out there; the 45 faded out(though you can hear the end if you're 45's not too noisy)
    For You: Rick's Time-Life CD
    Summertime Blues: Most CD's, including, I think, his LEGENDARY MASTERS disc, UK box set, other sources; first found on vinyl many moons ago.
    Paper Sun: THE ISLAND STORY, TRAFFIC CONTROL[a promo CD]and most other comps; the ending of the unedited version was issued on the US MR. FANTASY/HEAVEN IS IN YOUR MIND Lp as "We're A Fade, You Missed This."
    However, the remaster of MR. FANTASY[US edition]I think restores "Paper" to its 45 fade and the end of the master take to the end of the album, as originally issued here(the UK Lp didn't include "Paper Sun" and had other cuts, too).
    Medicine Man: One of Bartley's comps; originally on Cashman & West's THE AM-FM Blues on Razor & Tie(remastered by another fellow who lets the tapes run now and then...hee hee).

"Let's Live For Today" began as a mono 45, but for the stereo Lp, they did some fooling around, panning the lead vocal during the verses back and forth. On one of the VINTAGE MUSIC volumes, somebody :D found or remixed a track that loses the panning and more accurately reflects the 45 version, except it fades some 20 secs or so later. This same mix turned up on a Time-Life CLASSIC ROCK disc, but faded around the 2:45 45/Lp length.
    Otherwise, I haven't heard that version anywhere else, IIRC.

Happy now?

ED:cool:

24. mudbone

Yep.

mud-:D

25. hadi·blues

hadi·blues New Member

Is there a general preference for hard ends vs. fades? Fades make me think musicians don’t know how to end a song, although a hard end could also be the result of an edit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.