Collecting David Bowie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’m not sure if this thread has been done before as I couldn’t find one, but what do all of your Bowie collections look like? Any rarities amongst them? Any favorites in particular?

2. Mirror Image

No one has a David Bowie collection here? o_O

Sebastich likes this.
  3. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I have lots of Bowie, but nothing rare.

Studio:
    Space Oddity through Scary Monsters
    Tin Machine I, II
    Black Tie White Noise through Blackstar

Live:
    Ziggy
    Live
    Stage
    Santa Monica
    Reality Tour
    Beeb 3 cd
    Oy Vey, Baby

with Iggy:
    The Idiot
    Lust for Life
    Blah Blah Blah

That's it. No box sets or hits packages. No rare stuff, no money for these things.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    Here’s a couple things from my collection

5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

My favorite solo artist.
    A most confusing discography.
    Don’t have anything ‘rare’ as such, but I have started to collect vintage vinyl pressings of his original albums. That’s a great satisfaction for me. I have owned so many variations and deluxe reissues over the years, but my experience has thought me that 99% of the time, the original vintage pressings (before 1984) are very adorable.

6. Mirror Image

Very nice. My collection is growing as I’ve added several newer remasters and live albums that I didn’t have and wanted like Never Let Me Down, Glass Spider: Live Montreal ’86, and Serious Moonlight: Live ’83.

7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Ya know, never really made the (obvious) connection but he never put out an album without his mug on the cover until Blackstar.

I've always liked the idea of staging elements of our collections. Might have to stage my own Bowie this evening.

8. Mirror Image

A confusing discography, eh? I’d love to hear your thoughts on why it’s confusing.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  9. Mirror Image

Blackstar could be viewed as his parting memento to not only his own life, but the people who cared to listen in the first place, which I’m sure he was eternally grateful.

10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    My latest Bowie related purchase... in my attempt to understand his influences

11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

This is a favorite of mine, although made redundant when the deluxe Station to Station set came out 10 years ago.

[​IMG]

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is the new CD version of 'Is It Any Wonder?' rare? If so, I have that one! :D

Oh, I also have several of the lenticulars used for the 'hours...' CD. Somebody on ebay sold a stack of them a while ago.

13. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I have the albums that I like on cd - some are from when cds first started coming out, and some are later editions. And I am the kind of fan who will buy that Fun download. But I won’t buy Pin-Ups because I just don’t care for it. Well, maybe “Sorrow”.

But the prime indicator that I really enjoy Bowie is that I have saved probably every non-audience-source concert recording (soundboards, broadcasts) and actually like hearing the different arrangements that were presented on different tours. In other words it is not OCD collecting - I play them, and I like being able to play whatever version suits the mood.

fishcane likes this.
  15. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Adorable indeed. I only wish I had kept all of my records from when I was young.

16. Mirror Image

Of the older recordings, late 60s through the 80s, most of my Bowie recordings are a combination of the 1999 remasters and the more recent ones. How does everyone here feel about the newer remasters vs. the ones from 1999?

17. moomoomoomoo

IMO, Bowie was usually better live.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

signed Ziggy (dated) photo and original Station to Station Color slick (RCA)

phillyal1, Tanx, KipB and 4 others like this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

I like the sound of the 192's a lot. The 96's are louder, & the 44's aren't even close to as good as the records. Regarding 16/44, the original RCA's, the Rykos, the EMI's & the recent batch each have certain sonic things in their favor imo. Though I'm not thrilled with any of them.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    jfeldt and Mirror Image like this.
  20. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I'm pretty happy with my Ryko's especially the bonus tracks.. I bought a Parlophone CD reissue of Man Who Sold The World some years back and was totally disappointed. It doesn't come close to the Ryko and has that dreaded noise reduction. If there are remasters or hi-res reissues of his early 70's work that tops Ryko, please advise.

Cat People, mooseman and omikron like this.
  21. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Probably not redundant as it sounds better than the brickwalled official release! And does this have the full-length Panic in Detroit, which was edited on the Nassau cd?

Mikewest, Ere, omikron and 5 others like this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

The 1st 3 192/24 digital boxes are by far the way to go imo (other than Santa Monica; they used the brickwalled master for that one title). No idea why, but on 2 of the 3 boxes, the 192's & 96's sound like different masters, with the 192's being significantly superior. Unfortunately the rarities discs are on cd only. The Ziggy limited edition dvd-A that came with the vinyl is also very good (other than the bonus trax). Much better than the Netherlands SACD

23. moomoomoomoo

I used to own vinyl with that cover. IMO, it did not sound real good, & I don't believe Panic was included though I could be wrong.

There is a VERY limited KBFH promo of Nassau. While I have seen it, I have never heard it; & also no idea how complete it is. I was disappointed also.

24. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Sorry to be stupid but what titles are you referring to for the 'digital boxes'? Got any links?

ispace likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

HDtracks

HDtracks

HDtracks

owsley likes this.