Collecting Elton John MCA's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dean De Furia, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been able to slowly collect the MCA EJ collection (through Blue Moves) and generally find the sound to be very smooth (a little bright). My question is: some of the discs are earlier production as they say "made in Japan" and have no UPC. Later ones say made in US with a UPC. Did they use the same master for both runs? If not, which is better?

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I don't **ever** recall hearing that MCA had snuck a re-master into the EJ line of CDs, but maybe someone else has that info...

My gut response would be to assume that they're the same, unless you see an RE-1 or other RE- designation in the data ring.

-Kevin

3. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I think they are the same, but the "el-cheapo" budget CD's had skimpy booklets and cheesy packaging. The original mid 80's CD's had nice thick booklets w/lyrics. The CD's had nice artwork on the rear insert and smooth side jewel cases. Try and find the original CD's if you can.

4. Dob

Dob New Member

Believe it or not, I have found that, quite often, the Japan CDs not only sound different from their USA counterparts, but that they also sound better (I haven't specifically compared the EJ CDs).

If you do a comparision, listen to the vocals - the USA CDs sound a bit "pinched" in conparison to the Japan CDs. The same digital master is used for both (they will run in perfect sync), but I suspect that some EQ has been added to this digital master for the USA CDs. If they don't run in perfect sync, a different digital master was used, but this is unlikely.

It's not a huge difference in sound (usually), but I will always pick up the Japan CD if given a choice. Even for newer CDs, the Japan versions often sound better and come with bonus tracks - for example, Sixteen Stone by Bush. Unfortunately, they are expensive, but you can often find mint used copies on Ebay for about the same price as a new domestic CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.