Colony on USA Network

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Okay, I checked this out because I like Carlton Cuse, and I like Josh Holloway. And I keep wanting to like new science fiction television shows.

A little hokey in the "explanatory" dialog, a little clunky in direction, and a little light-weight so far, but it seems a bit promising. At least it isn't "color washed" as The Expanse is. I'll keep watching a few more episodes and see what developed.

Anyone else catch the premier?

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What does that mean?

It wasn't a bad pilot, but it didn't leave me with any strong anticipation for more. I read a pretty positive review of the show (through three episodes) here that mentions Carl Weathers, so I might stick around to see his character.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Did some research on the show and it doesn't sound at all like something I'd be interested in.

4. Lonson

I try to keep my mind open and don't prejudge many things. It often works the other way with me, I will think I'll like something like The Expanse and then I find it clicheed with little redeeming it, nothing really piquing my interest.

AA, I watched two episodes of The Expanse before I left it and they were "color washed" -- scenes were washed in blue light, or sepia light, or. . . annoyed me.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I 'prejudge' almost every show I decide to watch. Which is to say, I make a note of who's in it, the show producers (and their track record), the theme of the show, a cross section of reviews/comments, etc.

This show feels to be in the mold of Lost/The Event/The Leftovers/Under The Done/etc based on an intriguing premise which the writers have no idea how to develop and will instead focus on the fallout from the premise, rather than exploring the nature of the premise itself (as well as its fallout). Not interested in that one bit.

I'll admit I'm not always 100% right in my 'due diligence' (which is why I keep tabs with shows which I consider borderline), but it's well into the 90%s.

6. Lonson

I guess I'm not as cynical. From watching the premier I feel the writers have a lot more of a grip on the material than you surmise.

7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I too am willing to give it a few more episodes. Looking forward to some big twist.

8. Lonson

I'm waiting for the polar bear. ;)

Rhett and vince like this.
  9. Jerry Horne

"You used to go by another name didn't you?"

"Yes..."

"Why don't you tell us that name?"

"Sawyer."

Rhett, vince and Encuentro like this.
  10. Lonson

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What, people are now concerned if a scene uses colored lighting? Who the F cares? I only care if the show makes sense, if it's entertaining, and if I can believe in the characters. Josh Holloway's previous show, Intelligence, also violated the rule of "not being too stupid" (despite the title).

12. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Also known as "orange & teal". Sick of that look.

13. Lonson

I don't know if you have seen "The Expanse" but the lighting shtick is just too thick and annoying for me. I usually don't even notice these things, but it is so heavy handed. IMO.

I don't have "rules"--that's just not the sort of person I am. . . . Intelligence didn't make it for a handful of reasons. We'll see how Colony does.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I have absolutely no problem with the color palette in The Expanse. I do know what you are referring to with the 'white wash' comment, but this isn't a blanket effect across all scenes. In fact, I'd say it's carefully chosen for scenes dealing with off-planet/space scenes which makes some sense because you wouldn't have warm color glows that an planetary atmosphere produces. In space, things are a lot more stark with harsh shadow contrasts, etc. I give them points for that, actually. Other, planet based scenes do have a rich color palette.

15. Lonson

If you don't see it you don't see it and if it doesn't bother you it doesn't, but they do use a wash of color for inside the ships, inside the station, etc. I only watched two episodes and that and the same old plot and character stuff just annoyed me and I bailed.

16. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I've got the pilot on the DVR and have not watched yet but even from the trailers and ads I can see that Josh Holloway is being done like the hipster rebel...transplanting his Lost character into a new scenario. He does it well though so I'll give it a shot, but I think the "collaborator" character played by Peter Jacobson is more interesting and has more potential in the show...his role seems to have way more room to sway from the predictable.

17. Lonson

Indeed Jacobson is a good actor and he's a nice part of the stew. From the premier this could go in a number of directions, including. . .south. ;)

DesertChaos likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Re-read my comment. I acknowledged your comment about the color palette, but explained why I thought it was a good choice for the chosen scenes. But anyway, we probably shouldn't be hijacking this thread further...

19. Lonson

I was saying I see a blanket effect, especially in the space ship scenes, that you say you don't. It seemed a cheap way to obscure detail and gave it a comic book effect that annoyed me. Just me, I guess, and that's fine. I wanted to like the show, but that and the stereotypical detectives, politicians, lifer spacers, etc. just didn't let me get into it.

There's a possibility that Colony will exhibit some of this, but maybe not--Cuse is a canny TV producer and knows how to make the best even of not so fresh ideas. I've liked him since Nash Bridges, which had an endearing goofiness. Colony may be one of his successes. LOST and Bates Motel were/are. I like his stuff. Looking forward to the next episode.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I saw it. It was okay. I'll keep watching for awhile.

Lonson likes this.
  21. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Best part of episode 2: Awkward Sennheiser product placement! :righton:

22. Jerry Horne

Renewed for second season.

23. Lonson

We're near the end of the second season now. This season has been better, grittier. I hope it gets renewed for another season.

24. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I like it very much, it's not plain science fiction, for me it's social science fiction.

Lonson and Mike from NYC like this.
  25. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Science fiction often deals with topics that are hard to deal with in a 'real' setting. Star Trek was just that sort of show and so is Colony. I like the show.

Lonson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.