Colorized "I Love Lucy" 2013 CBS Xmas and May, 2015 Specials*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Is it full scale or what? Look at the cords for the cameras. They can't be THAT tiny.

I'm just surprised and delighted so many here love that show as much as I did when I had to stay home from school with pneumonia. I wound up knowing more about the show than my English assignments. Of course this wasn't LA, so that wasn't appreciated.

2. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

During The Adventures Of Superman's black and white first two seasons,
    George Reeves' Superman outfit was grey and brown instead of blue and red.
    for just the same reason.

george-reeves.jpg

OldSoul likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Both segments of this (Christmas, and the Italy episode) were still funnier than anything I've seen in modern sitcoms in a long, long time.

billdcat and Benno123 like this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts about the colorization. It looked to me to be the same as the Christmas episode they ran colorized from several years ago. But I've only got that one on VHS so it is a bit harder to compare quality wise. From what I remember the colors assigned looked the same.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I thought it looked just fine. Very watchable, and the color choices were all appropriate. I didn't think the colorization was so bad that it was distracting or anything.

I still would've preferred they just air it in black and white of course...

Benno123 likes this.
  6. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Honestly......It looked pretty good to me. I had no care going in, if it was original or not, so merely watching it ( as a non lucy fan ) nothing was really wrong looking. I kinda forgot after a few minutes, it simply looked pretty good.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought it looked really good. The skin tones and hair color are slightly distracting sometimes. As well as the mouths. I almost forgot it was originally in B&W. Lucy's Italian movie looked better. I wonder if they didn't change much for the Christmas special as that was already colorized.

8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I was surprised they didn't crop it to 16x9. Maybe they tried but it didn't work or required too much fake panning.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Whatever the reason, I'm just glad they didn't.

chilinvilin likes this.
  10. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

When I first got on the internet I found a wide panoramic photo of the Ricardos' apartment that someone had stitched together from video caps. I cannot find it now. Does anyone remember this?

11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think the sets are limited quite a bit horizontally.

Even in 4x3, when they were on the train, one time the camera panned a bit to the left and you could see the edges of the pretend train compartment. Very noticable.

12. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

DSCN7186-2.jpg Thought the colorization was well done, Lucy's hair color was a bit too orange. However what caught my attention was the 2nd hand smoke Little Ricky was breathing in from Ricky's Phillip Morris cigarette. How times have changed.

chilinvilin, billdcat and MRamble like this.
  13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

A LOT of us grew up with that second hand smoke.

14. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

That would certainly include me in the 50's as well. And my mom also smoked Phillip Morris. Oh the irony.

15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I think 95% of Little Rickys lines were "Oh boy!"

billdcat and sparkydog like this.
  16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I didn't watch out, but, judging from pictures and promos (plus, I've seen the Christmas one on DVD), Lucy's hair was way too orange. There are so many ways they could've found the actual shade that I don't understand why it came out like that.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe there was no way to colorize it to the right shade?

18. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

It certainly does look odd but for what it's worth nearly every encounter I've read of people meeting Lucy they've all consistently used the word "orange" to describe her hair. Rarely did I ever hear/read anyone refer to her hair as truly red. Maybe it's hard to imagine that her hair really was that orange!

Maybe Vidiot can chime in I know he said he worked around Lucy in the eighties.

OldSoul likes this.
  19. rburly

I watched about 20 minutes of it and enjoyed most of it. It was different due to the colorization, obviously, but another show where my mind started drifting away. Ir was on, but I finished the last 40 minutes with it on, but listening to music. It wasn't "ready for prime time" IMO.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  20. OldSoul

On The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy, it was an orange/yellow, but I think it may have been slightly more red in the '50s.

21. OldSoul

If this is accurate, it was definitely darker. 10-200x300.jpg

MRamble and rburly like this.
  22. rburly

And more lifelike. Not that orange color I saw last night.

OldSoul likes this.
  23. HiFi Guy 008

Found the colors a little too saturated for my taste. And the train scene - didn't that train ever move or was it floating on air?

But still, it was cool to see this on prime time, on a major network.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wonder how many kids or teenagers got their first exposure to I Love Lucy last night? Hmm...

MRamble likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

That's a good question. I'm curious about what the Nielson ratings reveal about the demographics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.