Colossus - The Forbin Project on blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DPM, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPM

DPM Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm a fan of this scifi movie from 1970, and I know that there is a DVD available. But said DVD is of the dreaded pan-and-scan non-widescreen variety.

A blu-ray with a widescreen presentation is available, but it is a European only release. Does anyone here know why Colossus - The Forbin Project hasn't been released on blu-ray in the USA?

2. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I don't have an answer but I'd love to see this too. War Games borrowed a lot of ideas from this movie.

3. Universal isn't interested in issuing it. They did license it overseas but I believe the source was a very dated master.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe they're not interesting in reissuing it because a remake has been in the works for several years and they'd rather a new audience not know the ending.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Would Twilight Time license for a HD Blu-ray reissue?

6. You could suggest it certainly. I kept hoping that Shout a Factory would put it out with some special features. The film was shelved for a year because Universal didn't think there was a market for it.

7. I think that, if the Will Smith project takes off, they would release it much as The Andromeda Strain got a Blu-Ray release when the remake aired.

Simon A and longdist01 like this.
  8. DPM

9. Yep, I just preordered. It's from Shout so hopefully the Universal transfer is nice. I was about to come here and post about it. It's dated. Sure but the basic plot holds up remarkably well.

RexKramer, Vidiot and longdist01 like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very glad to hear this -- I can still recall the outcry when the laserdisc came out and it was 4x3 pan/scan. People went nuts!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd advise against it...I put the DVD copy in the Oppo 2 years ago, and it took over my DAC, spread to my server, upstairs to the main computer...and now all I can get on my cable is a screen saver with the dancing baby on it. :shrug:

Oh - also my Keurig comes on every morning at 3am, demanding white vinegar. :rant:

Vidiot and JAuz like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

13. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

My wife and I had several people over for a sci-fi marathon and a friend of ours... procured it. We are a pretty critical bunch but it went over really well for the reasons you said - despite the 70's look and a couple of scenes that would not fly in films of today, plot and structure are solid.

Simon A, Heavy Music and wayneklein like this.
  14. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I remember watching this once years ago and I liked it then. I took the chance and pre-ordered from Amazon with the hopes it will significantly drop in price <-$20> before release day. That still is a bit high, but I can't help myself!

15. My prediction is it will go to $17.99 briefly then go up.

Heavy Music likes this.
  16. If it's a fresh scan with bonus features, frankly, I'm ok with it if the quality is all good. It won't be selling for the retail and you could see it drop as much as $17.99. If they owned it, they could afford to drop the price further.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  17. Michael

I just wish the studios wouldn't license to Shout...and do it themselves...as Shout has a monopoly on the movies I'm interested in! LOL...and I do not have deep pockets.

18. Michael

yes..a bit high! Good luck with that...I'm still waiting for a half dozen shout BD to drop below $20 for a few years...

longdist01 and Heavy Music like this.
  19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the issue is that there's a large "gray area" of movies the studios just don't give a crap about, and it falls to third-party distributors to license the titles and release them to a small but dedicated fan base. If these distributors didn't do it, you might never see these films at all.

Note that the studios are generally in charge of scanning and mastering the film to digital, but there's a lot of political and economic reasons as to why they don't release them on Blu-ray. I think they see the future as being "all streaming / all the time," for better or worse. I do know of cases where the studios and the distributor split the mastering costs, but the studio winds up owning everything in the end.

21. Another thing at play for older films are restorations and the budgets given to those departments. The head of the departments have to make decisions as to which one should be the priority based on how much work has to be done, the sales potential, condition of the source material, etc. I have to give Warner Archive props for constantly surprising me with cult titles I never expected to see on a Blu.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. DPM

I wonder why Criterion didn't take this movie under their wing and give it a blu-ray makeover. They've tackled older sci-fi movies in the past.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. So the film has been released in a handsome Blu-ray transfer. Clearly restored, the film hasn't looked this good.

24. You should pick up the new Shout Blu-ray. Looks marvelous with a very handsome looking restored transfer.

25. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

It’s amazing the filmmakers were able to make a watchable film, let alone a good film that people still want to watch forty years later. They had a very limited budget and no monster effects for their monster. It’s just a voice-over while looking at blinking lights
    [​IMG]
    A very obvious influence on the later Terminator film

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.