Columbia House: Eagles 'Hits' Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by voicebug, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

A couple years back I loaned a buddy at work my CDs of Eagles Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Vol. 2. Since I have hundreds of CDs, I forgot I had loaned them to him, and, of course, he moved away and I lost my discs.

I just re-joined Columbia House (for the umpteenth time) and was actually shocked that the Eagles 'Greatest Hits' and 'Greatest Hits' vol. 2 I received in my enrollment package are the remasters. Both BMG and Columbia House have been identifying their catalog product as 'remastered' for quite a while, so I was surprised that I didn't get the old versions. Not only do both CDs have Ted Jensen's credit on the back, but Vol. 2 actually has the decal 'digitally remastered for the first time' on the front of the shrink wrap.

My question is, do these remasters sound better than the old ones?
    The old CDs weren't the best sounding in the world, but doggone it, I was 'used' to the way they sounded and was very happy with them.

I know they're not even close to the work Steve did with the Eagles on the DCC Gold (based on what I've heard from you guys) but if Steve's discs didn't exist, should I be happy with the remasters or are they botched???

Since I don't have my old ones anymore, I can't have the thrill of doing the A-B comarison. I've not listened to these remasters yet, and I'd thought I'd wait for fun to see what you all have to say about this.

Also, does anyone know if Columbia House has the remastered versions of the standard Eagles albums? And how do the remasters sound compared to the original CDs? I'm wondering if I got remasters because the two Greatest Hits titles are big movers, and it would make sense that their stock would run out and new stock, naturally, would be the remasters.
    However, I could realistically imagine that catalog titles like 'Hotel California' and earlier albums would still be old stock.

Thanks guys!!! Sorry this post was a bit long.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have some the remastered Eagles CD's and the sound is better. It's a gamble if they have them. I know for a fact that the remastered Greatest Hits' came out later in the stores than their regular CD's so you might be in luck. Plus these remasters have been around for a couple years. I would give it shot and try it. Here's a plan: Get Hotel California from Columbia House and if it's not remastered just go to a chain record store, buy Hotel California remastered and return the non-remastered one a few days later. Columbia House's CD issues are carbon copies of the one you get in stores so they'll never know. I did the same exact thing w/ Jackson Browne remasters when they came out. Columbia House gave some remastered and some not so I returned the unremastered ones.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Do yourself a favor and search out a copy of the DCC Greatest Hits and Hotel California. It'll be worth your time and effort.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Double Ditto!

5. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I prefer the original CDs hands down. I don't like compression. The new remasters suffer from too much "maximization" for my tastes. Steve's two Gold CDs are the best, but I would put the original CDs next in my list... You can commonly find the older ones in the used bin for a decent price.

My $.02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.