Come on, admit it - your fave moments from Elvis movies!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chris w., Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris w.

chris w. New Member Thread Starter

Is this the right place for this thread? Well I love the "Hawaiian trilogy" particularly the 'Shrimp Boat Song' from 'Girls! Girls! Girls!' where Elvis pretends to throw his guitar over the side, before his wonderful mock-surprise at the old Hawaiian guy's high voice!

The song (can't remember the title) in 'Fun In Acapulco' where Elvis turns to play a few short bursts on the organ, the same sounds but his hands in different places!

'Paradise Hawaiian Style' where he serenades four dogs whilst piloting a chopper!!!

There are some corny but very entertaining moments where anything is a cue for a song!

2. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

I vaguely remember seeing an Eddie Murphy bit about that.

"Elvis, have some lemonade."

[singing] "Lemonade, that cool, refreshing drink."

Paul

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Not sure if this counts, but I've always gotten a laugh out of the segment in Elvis On Tour, where as Elvis is getting off of a plane, he's met by the mayor of the city, who makes a speech, and presents Elvis with an ornamental guitar that looks like it's made of plywood and contact paper. Elvis immediately breaks the thing in half, accidentally.
    :laugh:

4. chris w.

chris w. New Member Thread Starter

The bit in 'That's The Way It Is' where a lady from the audience offers EP a drawing of himself, to which he asks if it is of Englebert Humperdinck!

5. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Well, there is one great scene in Jailhouse Rock (1957) where after an argument with his co-star Judy Tyler Elvis grabs her and kisses her. Judy's reaction: " How dare you think such cheap tactics work on me?" Elvis: "Ain't no tactics, honey. That's just the beast in me."
    Cool, isn't it?

Sebastian

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The whole Crawfish number at the beginning of King Creole. That song is as undeniably ridiculous as it is inexplicably cool. :)

Regards,

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Joe Strummer once said "Crawfish" was his favorite Elvis song. :righton:

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The film performance of "You're So Square(Baby I Don't Care)".

Evan

9. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

When he sings Young and Beautiful for the first time after the fight in Jailhouse Rock.

10. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

From "Elvis on Tour".

When he asked Red West , "Who was that chick last night?'

Well I really can't go into the rest of it, but it was Elvis off guard and pretty cool.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In Jailhouse Rock, there's the scene where Vince Everett (Elvis) is at the party with all the rich bigwigs. Vince is introduced to a group of people and one of them says, "oh, so you're a musician" in a very condescending tone. They then proceed to get into a pretentious intellectual discussion about jazz while Elvis just stands there silently. That leads to this classic exchange:

Female partygoer: "I think atonality is just a passing phase in jazz music. (condescendingly) What do you think, Mr. Everett?"
    Elvis: "Lady, I don't know what the hell you're talking about."

Then he walks out. That's the best non-musical moment in any Elvis film.

Another one I love is the final scene in Change of Habit. Elvis is in front of the church, singing. Mary Tyler Moore is trying to decide whether or not she should forsake her vows as a nun and be Elvis' girlfriend. She looks up at the front of the church, and the camera pans back and forth between Elvis's face and the face of Jesus on the crucifix. Elvis... Jesus... Elvis... Jesus, back and forth.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I remember the revised/censored version that was on at least some versions of This is Elvis: "Man, she could wake the dead."

13. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Elvis used the word "head" is his response on the uncensored version.

14. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

The airport in that segment was the old Woodrum Airport in Roanoke, VA (the city right next to where I live), and the mayor was the late Roy L. Weber, who, among other things, ran a florist shop. Just after the meeting on the plane, there's a meet-and-greet segment along the fence at the airport. One of the ladies most excited about meeting Elvis in that scene is a French teacher from my old high school. I taught her oldest daughter at Salem High School about 10 years ago, and, needless to say, my laserdisc of ELVIS ON TOUR found its way to class more than once. The daughter got many a chuckle out of her mom's love for The King.

About 3 years ago, I was teaching a film course through the local community college, and this same French teacher enrolled. The week we were covering documentaries, I began the class with "You know, in teaching a film class, one rarely has the opportunity to present a film with one of the stars actually in the room . . ." and then we watched the airport segment. It was one of those rare moments that makes teaching the gratifying, under-paid experience that it it. :D ;)

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Cool story, FredCamp!!!!

My favorite moment in and Elvis movie, and it made a lasting impression I guarantoldya, is in Blue Hawaii. The spanking scene--you know what I'm talkin' about!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.