"Comedian" on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Yep. It was released today. If you haven't seen this, it would be a great blind purchase. It has the ASOP (AKA Stamp Of Approval).

If you have no idea what this is, here's the synopsis from the back cover:

Attached Files:

2. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Brad - What's your impression? I saw some fairly terrible reviews of this movie on-line, which shocked me because I always loved Seinfeld standup even before his show, which I also liked.

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,

Don't listen to those reviews. If you're not sure about it, rent it before you buy it, but I think it's great. You get to see a side of Jerry that you've never seen before.

4. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

It looks like the SERIES is coming to DVD:

About nothing - 12:01am

Rounding out today's news, attention Seinfeld fans. One of the most successful comedy series of all time is finally on its way to DVD. According to the latest issue of Daily Variety's "DVD Exclusive" magazine, series co-creator Jerry Seinfeld himself reveals that he is currently in the process of digging up archival materials and creating supplements for upcoming Seinfeld releases. No word on whether these will be season-by-season sets, greatest hits packages or both, nor has Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment commented on any possible release dates. But, as always, watch this space...

DVD File News

5. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

This is a great movie, great insight into how difficult a job stand up actually is. It's funny, but not fall on the floor funny, also quite poignant at times. Highly recommended.

Jeff

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I really liked the movie. Lots of insight into the process and a very enjoyable experience. The extras on the DVD add a lot to it, too, as there are a lot of insightful material. Great set! Here's a link to some jerk's review:

Check it out!

7. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Renting - what a concept! I seem to have forgotten about that because a lot of DVDs I get are the same price as CDs.

After reading Colin's review, I just went ahead and bought it, when I was at the local Target today. It's a really interesting documentary - not front-to-back funny, but cool how we get insight into what happens onstage, and a look at the brotherhood of performers. I think everyone can relate to that in their profession - an insider's knowledge of what works, professionals talking to each other about their craft. This is especially revealed in Jerry's conversations with Ray Romano and Jay Leno.

Colin - I agree with your review, I wanted Orny to fail.

Extras are very nice as well. After watching the movie, I had it on again with the Jerry and Colin Quinn commentary, which was pretty good. All in all, a worthwhile purchase.

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I watched this yesterday and was surprised at how insecure Jerry seemed with his material. He constantly beats himself up. I did enjoy his scenes with the self loathing Orny (especially the Glenn Miller band story) Another surprise: Jerry allowing them to include the scene where he completely loses it at the nightclub. (He forgets where he was going with the story and loses all train of thought...a rare look at the normally nonplussed Jerry Seinfeld. This is certainly worth a look for any Seinfeld fan.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hmmm, I thought you were talking about the Eddie Murphy movie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.