Comedians who will do "requests" of their jokes at live shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

The only instance I've ever seen this happen was with Brian Regan. During the encore on the DVD "The Epitome of Hyperbole" he comes on stage and the audience immediately begins to shout their favorite jokes. The crowd erupted into people yelling just like you'd find at a rock show. I found that unbelievable having never really seen that with a comedian. It says a lot that Brian's audience is loyal enough to remember specific jokes from his act and it's also a testament to what a great performer Brian is that he can redeliver these jokes to a group who have heard them before--so successfully.

The only other time something close to this happened was when I saw Cosby about 10 years ago and he went into his dentist routine much to the crowd's approval.

Does anyone know of other comedians who will take requests at their shows?

Gumboo likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hickory-dickery dock... OHHHHHH!

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I've never heard of it and I can't imagine any comedian would.

4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

The ventriloquist Jeff Dunham has done stuff like that (if you consider ventriloquists to be comedians, that is).

MRamble likes this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He tells jokes for a living, so why wouldn't he be comedian? Why does it make him less of a comedian that he happens to do it thru ventriliqusm?

I mean if you don't like ventriloquism or Jeff in particular that's fine, but...

Gumboo likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Louis CK did it one of the times I went to see him, before he opted to permanently retire old material.

MRamble likes this.
  7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Joke requests? Something just wrong about that.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"I'm not a bloody jukebox" -Sherry Bobbins.

Chris DeVoe, Vidiot and krock2009 like this.
  9. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have seen Ron White three or four times and the last time I saw him in February he mentioned that the theater manager asked him if he could do one particular joke and he said he would so instead of his normal closing routine was being changed up for that one.

pscreed and MRamble like this.
  10. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Bill Hicks was a big proponent. Just YouTube his Chicago performance. He clearly loved audience requests.

11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

"I'm sorry folks"

Dark Mavis likes this.
  12. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

David Cross said that people used to yell out for bits after he released "Shut Up You Phucking Baby". I believe Patton Oswald had the same experience with people yelling for the "Black Angus" bit.

vince and MRamble like this.
  13. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

When I saw Seinfeld live in 1985 he took requests near the end.

It was a very loose show - made even looser because the theater was directly by train tracks - and he had to stop twice during the show to let a train go by.

The La Paloma in Encintas, Ca. https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-paloma-theatre-encinitas-3

Strat-Mangler and MRamble like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any Bill Hicks threads open?

15. chinapig45

chinapig45 Forum Resident

Nick Mullen

16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Jeff Foxworthy's done his "..you might be a redneck" lines via audience request. He probably would have done them anyway at some point in the show or perhaps he just has so many of the them memorized that it's an easy transition to improv for a few minutes. Super nice guy too. When I saw his act as a kid he stayed in the venue for several hours after the show ended and waited until everyone got to meet him -- didn't charge for photos or signatures and didn't pressure anyone to purchase merch.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Pete Puma likes this.
  17. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

They wouldn't stay open very long...Hicks had a field day with Bush, he wouldn't have time to perform, given all the material he'd be writing now!

18. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

There a funny 'audience request' bit in Jim Jefferies' new Netflix special.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

At the end of Patton Oswalt's "222" album, he turns to the crowd, and asks what they want....and he does 'em!
    -PASS!
    -AMSTERDAM!
    -ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS!!!

20. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

“Jack and Jill went up a hill. Each with a buck and a quarter.....”

F_C_FRANKLIN, Vidiot and BZync like this.
  21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I had the great fortune to see George Carlin at a "rehearsal" for an upcoming HBO special. Upon completion he referred to a stopwatch and noted how long the new material ran. He thanked us in the audience for being patient with him (like it was a chore seeing Carlin perform an hour of unfamiliar material) and asked if we had any requests. He did about three or so of the requested bits (including the hippy dippy weatherman of all things) and thanked us again. (IIRC he also performed the Baseball Football comparison).

jonmayo15, MRamble and O Don Piano like this.
  22. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

If you know the joke well enough to request it....why do you need to hear it again? Are you hoping the comic will put some unique twist on it just for you?

Comedy is all about surprise.

bluesbro and GodShifter like this.
  23. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

UK comic Jimmy Carr is about to undertake a "Greatest Hits" tour.

24. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Madness likes this.
  25. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I know like nothing about standup but that guy just kills me for some reason. We watched one of his shows on the tube a while back I was laughing so hard I cried.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.