Comedy vinyl classics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beccabear67, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I used to regularly play comedy LPs by Monty Python, Bill Cosby, National Lampoon, Steve Martin, Cheech & Chong, Richard Pryor and George Carlin.

The comedy record has been supplanted by you tube clips, even though most stand up acts don't have a strong visual component. The exception on the list above is Monty Python, which was sketch comedy that just happened to translate superbly into audio recordings.

2. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

An excellent compilation of late-period Lenny Bruce "bits" (or, more accurately, political and social observations) produced by Phil Spector. Nicely edited. I've listened to a lot of Bruce's work from the period (e.g., The Berkeley Concert and the Lenny Bruce Performance Film) and this qualifies as a very satisfying "greatest hits" compilation (though I don't think it was intended to be and Bruce himself likely would have bristled at the notion).

[​IMG]

4. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

"What's the worst job you ever had?"

[​IMG]

swampwader, kendo, VU Master and 6 others like this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I just subjected my daughter to Buckner and Garcia's Pac Man Fever album, though it's more of a novelty item than comedy. She did enjoy Lily Tomlin's "And That's the Truth."

Afraid I just could never get Firesign Theater, and have them all on consignment. Also dumped all my Bill Cosby records for reasons we all know.

Still love my Steve Martin and George Carlin albums, though.

6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Forgot about those Lehrer albums. Poisoning Pigeons in the Park. Great stuff.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

And its starts with "It's the Woman's Fault."

Whizz Kid and Dr. Mudd like this.
  8. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

That's been a favorite of mine forever.

For classical stations: Bolero with LYRICS! "Why don't we check into a fine hotel...one with naaaked paaaintiiings!"

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore. Thread Starter

I've heard about that Ustinov album... now my list overfloweth! :cool:

I still have an 'Old Silver Throat Sings' Cosby LP on Warners (with rivet in corner), I'd keep it with any Rolf Harris at this point. :faint:

I just had a 'Hail Marx & Lennon' Firesign album spinning recently, it goes well with a vintage Fugs...

[​IMG]

Here's another certifiable HOF LP...

[​IMG]

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got one or two of those Adam Stag Party records, but mine came with full topless models on the cover. You can still see the tape residue where the sticker was applied so they could ship it through the mail!

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I missed playing Spike Jones' Nutcracker with lyrics this Christmas. The family made me turn it off before it came up. "Our Hour" with the howling dogs was the last straw.

12. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

A lot of favorites have been mentioned. I was fairly obsessed with the previously mentioned 25 Years of Recorded Comedy (especially the Nichols/May telephone bit--holy cow were they good), along with the Monty Python 3-sided album, several George Carlin records, a Steve Martin album, both Albert Brooks albums (Comedy Minus One being the other) and the Woody Allen standup album.

Pride of place, however, probably goes to several Firesign Theater albums that I spent hours upon hours deconstructing, with Everything You Know Is Wrong, which was only briefly available on CD, providing all the mystery and wonder of great rock and roll. I still marvel at it today.

Henryflowr, Dr. Mudd and beccabear67 like this.
  13. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I inherited my old man's Allan Sherman records - they still crack me up.

[​IMG]

14. beccabear67

What about women comediennes? There must be more than one Tracy Ullman 45, but I do have this (just not on vinyl)... the antidote to Andrew Dice Clay with an accordian!

[​IMG]

I like Sam Kinison, but Goldy Whoopberg not usually my cuppa (except as Cheshire Cat).

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The first professional entertainer I ever saw perform was Victor Borge, so I'll always treasure his records. I also saw Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain at the Clemmons Center, so that's a keeper, even if I don't play it regularly.

Bigbudukks and beccabear67 like this.
  16. beccabear67

Hamhead likes this.
  17. I've always referred to it as the Sgt. pepper of Comedy Albums...It's a brilliant album. Nominated for a Grammy too.

I was lucky enough to score a copy of it on 8 Track recently.

18. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Folks of a certain age (mine) can quote these line for line....some of the material wouldn't fly today, however.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only own 3 comedy LPs...the two above and this great Emo Philips LP:

[​IMG]

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I still adore the repartee between Elaine May and Mike Nichols even if the scenarios are dated.

20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I remember hearing the third side for the first time. I thought I was losing my mind. I had played side two several times before landing on side three. Wonderfully diabolical for it's time.

21. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMING!!!

andrewskyDE, mmars982 and Obtuse1 like this.
  22. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I have a complete set of Python LPs, including RWT, and every Derek and Clive LP, the CDs are better
    due to additional material
    Come Again is one of my most played LPs ever!!

23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    National Lampoon: Lemmings.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    El Rich-o, pdenny, geo50000 and 4 others like this.
  24. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

The only comedy albums I have are Father Guido Sarducci and a couple Nichols and May albums, so they must be classics...right?

Bigbudukks likes this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My brother and I played this one over and over. We probably didn't really get half the jokes but we still thought it was hilarious!

Folknik and xilef regnu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.