Comedy vinyl classics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beccabear67, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

47 posts and no one mentioned any of these??!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I have no problem listening to bill cosby albums, to Russell my brother especially is good, tops for me is firesign theatre, don't crush that dwarf is pretty amazing

showtaper and Folknik like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I heard a Lily Tomlin album once that was funny, but haven't yet tracked down any of her records.

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've got a nice row of comedy LPs in my collection with multiple titles of the usual culprits mentioned here:

Smothers Brothers, Carlin, Cosby, Martin, Sherman, Lehrer, Cheech & Chong.

But some of my other favorites are ones by Redd Foxx (really only the LOMA / Warners years) and Jonathan Winters.

Although I never cared for the Firesign Theatre..

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I was really into comedy albums when I was a kid, a lot of stuff that's already been mentioned like Carlin, Pryor, Python. Steve Martin definitely.

I also liked Robert Klein a lot. New Teeth is a good one from him, and Child of the '50s.

cartoonist likes this.
  6. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

[​IMG]

hoggydoggy likes this.
  7. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

How about the Alan Robin and Earle Doud albums that sold MILLIONS in the early 1960's?
    Always remember: "The rubber schwan... is mine"....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Found the Sellers album last year in mint condition at a flea market for 1 Euro. Great stuff.

9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Several of Bill Cosby's albums quality in my book- they're very funny.

Folknik likes this.
  11. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Allan Sherman - My Son The Folk Singer
    Albert Brooks - Comedy Minus One (I think this is funnier than A Star Is Bought b/c of Memoirs Of An Opening Act)
    Stan Freberg - Best of the Stan Freberg Shows (a 2-LP set of Freb's live CBS Radio shows - there's a great audiophile skit called Herman Horne On Hi-Fi)
    Derek & Clive - Live
    Peter Sellers - The Songs Of Sellers (has the 3 Beatles cuts plus the absolutely brilliant Peter Sellers Sings George Gershwin)
    Bob & Ray - On A Platter (maybe the funniest duo in comedy history and this one is RCA Living Stereo!)
    Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album (if for no other reason than Sit On My Face - and there are many other reasons)

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  12. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I have The First Family. Freaking hilarious.

The artist - Vaughn Meader - is a sad story. For a year, Meader was was the most famous comedian on the planet. Everybody wanted him. But after JFK was assassinated, his career fell off the proverbial cliff.

bxbluesman likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned (Steve Martin, George Carlin, Bill Cosby, Cheech & Chong), but I never actually had them on vinyl. Cassettes and 8-Tracks were what I had them on. But I did have this one on vinyl:
    [​IMG]
    Richard Pryor's Greatest Hits. Listened to this one a lot. Cool cover too.

notgoblin likes this.
  14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

And then there are comedy albums for heads:
    upload_2017-1-10_13-39-4.jpeg upload_2017-1-10_13-40-19.jpeg

tob likes this.
  15. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

I have Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias' three LPs, which have their moments, but creak a bit now; some of the satire hasn't dated well. Best seen live.
    The Goons' Ying Tong Song, and Peter Sellars' single A Hard Day's Night/Help, which was a Top 20 hit in the UK.

16. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Napoleon XIV they're coming to take me away haha

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Here's another odd one my parents had. Haven't listened to it in some time, so I'm not sure how well it holds up.

[​IMG]

18. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Back in the 70's, this album went particularly well with a tank of nitrous oxide:

[​IMG]

19. igor stravinsky

igor stravinsky Forum Resident

There are plenty of classics listed here, but here's one that hasn't been mentioned so far from Lou Carter.

I got pulled into Lou after hearing someone perform "If I had a Nose Full of Nickels" on Prairie Home Companion....it's a classic.

20. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The Dr Demento LP comps are great as well.

Bigbudukks likes this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The First Family by Vaughn Meader was very popular.

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, my parents had this and one other Newhart record and I loved them.
    I also had a few Smothers Brothers records, a few Cosby records, a Jonathan Winters and later Robert Klein and Richard Pryor albums and I loved them all.

Tim Irvine likes this.
  23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Here's another one I had on vinyl that I have fond memories of...
    [​IMG]
    We'rd Al Yankovic's self titled debut. I got this shortly before he hit it big with Eat It, after seeing the I Love Rocky Road video. As good as the musicianship is on his later albums, I missed him doing all of the songs on accordion.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Cosby's work was great, but I'll never again be able to listen to one of his records for entertainment. The material is too personal, and enjoyment of it hinges on being able to accept Cosby's presentation of himself as a genial family man talking about his childhood or raising his own children. For obvious reasons, I can no longer accept him playing that character. If his humor had been less personal and more abstract it might be possible to separate it from his crimes. But his whole act was based on the premise that he was up there as himself, talking about his real life, so there's really no way to effectively separate the art from the artist in this case.

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet: A Great Gift Idea by The Credibility Gap. Highlight is the extended Tonight Show parody at the end. Harry Shearer does the best Carson impression I've ever heard, and it's a dead-on mockery of mid-70s Tonight Show tropes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.