Comicbook movie fatigue anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Superhero fatigue or not, make it fun, some thrills, and charismatic leads; I'll watch. So what I'm trying to say is I'm more about the upcoming 'Rampage' than 'Avengers' 4. I'm an unapologetic Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson fan.

2. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

As long as they're good I'll watch em..acting-storyline...there is a story I'd like to see come to film[if done right]it could be special-The Trial Of Superman-it's from and old comic book story but a good one,for those of you collectors old enough to have this DC Comic you know what I mean.

3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

It's funny how we've gone from famine to feast with comic book movies. In addition to being scarce, a lot of the earlier stuff wasn't very good either. For me, it's fun to have this banquet spread before me, even at my ripe old age, and of course the visuals are so stunning that often, even if the movie isn't that great, you have plenty of eye candy.

I think an argument can be made though that comic book movies have become the modern equivalent to Westerns, which were hugely popular in the 60's and 70's. Like Westerns, they are fundamentally morality tales about people struggling to do the right thing against all odds and we seem to be naturally drawn to those types of stories, especially during times of social upheaval when we're not always sure of our footing. It's comforting to see Cap and Thor triumph over adversity, whether it's a super bad guy or their own internal conflict.

JimW and The Revealer like this.
  4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I loathed the two Christopher Nolan Batman films I saw, if only because they took themselves so seriously. They were also seriously successful and the D.C. team took the wrong lesson from those receipts. So they foisted dreary and angsty onto their characters.

The Revealer likes this.
  5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Can't stand them. Full of vulgar language and ugly CGI cinematography.

6. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Tim Burton's "Batman" was a big deal because it was so completely unlike anything else that was being done at the time (or ever had been done). But I don't agree with the critical trope that the "Batman" films somehow transcend the comic book genre because the Bruce Wayne character is so incredibly nuanced, conflicted, deep and profound.

The problem I have with these films is that when I do see them, I have trouble distinguishing the "good" films from the "bad" films. I've seen all three "Iron Man" films, and liked them all about the same. At this point, when people tell me the third one sucked, I find myself struggling to remember what it was even about. I remember Ben Kingsley...and not much else.

Overall, however, if I'm not attracted to comic book movies, it's because in the age of social media, they are created to meet the expectations of test audiences and to be easily marketed, rather than to represent the visions of idiosyncratic filmmakers. For all of the online caterwauling about how Rian Johnson raped "Star Wars" (another critical take I just don't understand) I'm disinclined to believed that Kathleen Kennedy and Disney ceded to him as much narrative control over the franchise as fan theories imply. This genre is driven by studios and producers, not by the so-called "creative types".

7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Logan, Wonder Woman, Guardians 2, Spider-Man Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok, and Black Panther all benefitted by being directed by interesting directors with unique visions. So, I really don't get that perspective at all.

And, the box office for these films is off the charts, so I reeeeally don't think there's a burn-out happening. Just the opposite - advance tickets for Avengers Infinity War are breaking records just set by Black Panther.

Jim B. and Stormrider77 like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's like any other genre: people go to see the good comic book movies and skip the bad ones.

Whenever a comic book movie falters at the box office, naysayers flock to declare the genre dead, but it ain't happened yet.

I think it would take a string of 4-5 clunkers to really endanger the genre, but obviously we're not there. "Justice League" disappointed at the box office, but every other major comic book movie over the last 12 months has been a big hit - and it's clear the new "Avengers" will continue that streak...

davenav likes this.
  9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Marvel Studios is getting tired for me. Last one from them I really enjoyed was Winter Soldier. No lighthearted laughs running through that like the latest ones.

How come no one mentions the X-Men flicks? 'Days of Future Past' is my favorite comic book movie. That's one I rewatch.

4_everyman and PhantomStranger like this.
  10. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

I think because the general opinion is the X-men movies kinda stink overall with a couple exceptions.

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Nope!

For me there's no such thing! I've been waiting just about all my life for them to be able to make these movies the way they should be made, and I'm absolutely loving it!
    The good and the bad. Now they've announced a movie that I've really been waiting on, THE NEW GODS!

The major disappointment is the director they have chosen!

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

My experience with the comics is similar, except for me it was the 52 weekly miniseries (not related to "The New 52") that started to kill my interest. After Infinite Crisis all of DC's books took a 1-year leap into the future (one year passed between one issue and the next), with a "One Year Later" indicator showing when the 1 year leap had happened. At first they didn't tell us what happened during that missing year but that it would be revealed in 52, the only thing we were told at first was that it would be a year without Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

To avoid spoilers, I decided to wait until 52 was over before reading any of the One Year Later issues. Thus, I ended up with large backlog of issues to read. Due to all of the other things I needed to do, I've never been able to catch up on my reading. Added to this is the other big events that put me further and further behind, and reading the first "New 52" issues killed my interest to the point where I was going to drop all of my series. Only DC's "Rebirth" caused me to give them one more chance, and the current Doomsday Clock miniseries gives me a small bit of hope.

I don't have comic book movie fatigue because I haven't seen many of the recent movies. The main type of comic book movie that I have a bit of fatigue with is the origin for superheroes that we've already seen a few times (like Superman and Batman). In fact, one of the things I liked best about Green Lantern - The Animated Series (besides being an excellent series that was MASSIVELY better that the movie) was no origin episode (we just get a passing mention in one episode, essentially "the previous Green Lantern died and his ring came to me).

seed_drill likes this.
  13. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

After the dull as dishwater Season 2 of Jessica Jones I am starting to tire.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've actually still got lots of those books sitting around in piles.

15. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I was never that into comics so I'm tired but not tired. Tired of the 3rd(?) Spiderman and Batman reboots. But at the same time I like learning about the characters I never knew much about, or even existed...Antman, Black Panther, Guardians, Daredevil, etc. And not that into the cramming of all the characters into a movie thing that's currently happening.

16. Solitaire1

I strongly agree about using new characters. Both DC and Marvel have a large stable of characters, yet the only seem to use a small number of them and the same ones over and over again. Recently, there has been a move to use characters that we haven't seen before in live action on the big and small screen (Booster Gold, The Atom, Deadpool, Elongated Man) and I think that is a good move.

I'm not much interested in seeing another movie featuring Superman or Batman, but I'd be interested in seeing a movie featuring The Tangent Universe (a world where there are many familiar names but the characters are new, such as The Joker [a chaotic hero], Batman [a cursed knight from King Arthur's Court who remotely operates a suit of armor via magic], The Flash [a young woman who is made of light]).

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Have you seen the animated film Justice League - The New Frontier. It is I would say 50% a Green Lantern origin story but it's really good, and better that nearly all the DC live action films.

18. Solitaire1

Yes I have and enjoyed it. Although it was focused on Green Lantern, it covered a wide scope of the entire DC Universe. In return, one animated movie I'd recommend is Justice League - Crisis On Two Earths. Excellent movie featuring The Justice League vs. The Crime Syndicate (from a mirror universe where the good guys are the bad guys and the bad guys are the good guys).

Jim B. likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I've been thinking of getting that one actually so thanks for the recommendation.

20. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Marvel are a film studio now, a film studio that adapts it's comic books if they make a film that interests me I'll go and see it. I went to see Black Panther and I went to see Dr. Strange and Civil War though I skipped Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Spider-Man homecoming both of which I'll just rent on iTunes at some stage. The New Avengers movie looks interesting to me as well as the new Ant Man film so I guess I'm not really tired of Comic Book movies.
    I have however grown weary of DC films, they keep coming out to poor rotten tomatoes scores so I think the last of those I saw in a cinema is Wonder-woman I didn't bother going to Justice League.

21. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I look at the movies as comic books. And so far most are as throw away as the books I read as a youth. I'm fine with them making all the movies. I don't need to see them, or if seen then I don't need to buy them and own them. Black Panther was fun, but after years go by, it won't be remembered as much except by the millions of viewers who were awakened to their own potential because they saw a hero that looks like they do. You can't really underestimate that kind of influence. Hopefully, that will become commonplace. So, even just 'good' movies can have their lasting impact.

Let 'em roll. I'll never be satisfied with the attempts to bring big arcs to the theaters. I couldn't be less interested in Infinity War even if the Surfer shows up in some way. Of course, I'll see it. And complain. But that's fun, too.

22. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

It's the only profitable films they make anymore, no?
    However much someone might be into them, it's hard not to see it as a cultural decline.

23. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Yeah, at this point, pretty much Hollywood's only "guaranteed" $$$ makers...
    And it is kind of sad in a way. Just picking a popular movie which did good in the box office (i think) and isn't that old....
    "Forrest Gump". If it was released today, would it even be a blip on the $$ or mainstream radar? I feel like that was a movie that crossed the pop and "art" pretty well but it seems people aren't really interested in that anymore. And in a way, I get it; there's nothing about movies with no major special effects that are "must see" in the theaters anymore now that everyone has 60 inch TVs at home.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Cultural decline"? Really? :rolleyes:

Was it a "cultural decline" when 100 Westerns came out every week? Or some other genre dominated?

There really aren't that many superhero movies out there - it's just that they sell lots of tickets so it seems like there are zillions of them...

Stormrider77 and The Revealer like this.
  25. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Yes, if anything comes to monopolize, it's not a pretty thing. I'm pretty sure that along with Westerns, there were melodrama, comedies, science fiction, etc.
    Of course, the argument can be made that there are still dramas and comedies being made, the difference being that people now have ACTIVELY rejected them. I saw the preview for the new Chappaquidick movie,.... I wouldn't watch that except under torture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.