Comicbook movie fatigue anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Because they have lots of showings for many of the films. I can't tell you the number of times my brother is called me asking him to find movie showtimes for a film starting at 8, rather than 7. Having the same film in two or three theaters accommodates people like him.

Because it's excellent and highly rewatchable? Because the visuals show a world that never existed (I, for one, love seeing a highly developed city free of the influence of Mies van der Rohe.) Because the acting is very good? Because it features, like Wonder Woman did, strong powerful female characters, pulling in a lot more people?

And, to talk about the elephant in the room, it has a mostly Black cast, and from everything I've read African Americans see more films per capita than most other ethnic groups.

This gives me an opportunity to repeat this wonderful joke:

Martin Freeman who played Bilbo and Andy Serkis who played Gollum are the only major White characters in Black Panther. There are the Tolkien white guys.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, that's been the dynamic for some time, but these days those smaller type of films do get made more often, not by traditional Hollywoo, but by streamers looking to feed their insatiable hunger for content (like Netflix).

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

[​IMG]

There's no escape......
    just a question....
    Wasn't Dinklage supposed to be in this?

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Since his name's on the poster you put up here, I'd say that he'll be in the movie! :D

5. vince

He IS?
    Boy, my eyes are shot!

6. Oatsdad

Ha! :D

Yeah, he's listed - but it seems like no one knows who he plays.

He's listed on IMDB for the movie but without a character attached.

I'm hoping he'll play Silver Surfer! :D

Michael Rose likes this.
  7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

That's my issue. I'm weary of the thrill. Action sequences don't do it for me anymore.

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Although the parts already been cast, since he'd be totally CGI'd anyway, I think Peter Dinklage would crush the role of Thanos!;)

9. Chris DeVoe

Isn't Peter Dinklage in the lower left hand corner of the poster, about to get his head smashed by Hulk?

10. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Man of Steel was the last straw for me - I sat through it thinking "Aren't these movies supposed to be fun? Wasn't Superman a good guy? If Kal-El/Clark Kent's reason for being on Planet Earth ISN'T to save innocent lives, what IS his reason? And how does Superman shave, anyways?".

I was done. The pretension of the genre had become tiresome, as was the angst and existential crisis the heroes themselves seemed to be always in the throes of ("Having superpowers and washboards abs are an incredible burden I cannot bear."). Add to that the extended universes stocked with third rate superheroes (Aquaman was always kind of ridiculous, but never more so reimagined as a tattooed surfer dude who is the protector...of Iceland.)

Today, I'm the father of a 7-year old and have been drawn back into the fold again. I was very pleasantly surprised that Thor: Ragnarok and Spiderman: Homecoming turned out as two of the most entertaining superhero movies I'd seen in years. They were funny, heroic, and genuinely clever. More to the point, they had actual heroes doing heroic things like saving innocent lives from certain doom. When Spiderman saved those kids from crashing in the elevator of the Washington Monument I laughed because I didn't think anyone was interested in making this kind of crowd-pleasing popcorn munching superhero movie anymore.

Not sure about the upcoming Avengers movie, though. Iron Man...and the talking raccoon?

Severin22, Michael Rose and enro99 like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

The two Guardians of the Galaxy films are tremendous fun. Yeah, they do suffer from that "the entire universe is threatened" thing, but they are enjoyable precisely because they are third rate. The talking racoon is a serious badass, but has a massive inferiority complex. The human lead cannot get anyone to call him by his apparently self-applied handle of "Starlord". Because they don't have a huge mythos (or at least nobody who isn't a giant comic book fan gives a damn about) they are able to have fun with them.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

This is just crazy! The reason I don't go to the movies anymore.
    Typical Hollywood...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I don't see his name...

14. vince

.........The '70's/'80's 'tunes' help, too!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. vince

THANK YOU!:agree:

16. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Look at the names at the bottom of the poster. Under the "FI" in in "Infinity" you will see "Chris Hemsworth" on line 1.

Under that on line 2 is Peter Dinklage:

vince likes this.
  17. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

And no I don't have fatigue because I'm behind on these movies. I feel like I watch more kids movies these days, since I got two little ones running around the house!

18. Oatsdad

No - that's Sebastian Stan, aka "Bucky"/"Winter Soldier"

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Ah, OK. I plan to binge watch a whole bunch of Marvel films to get caught up before Infinity War.

20. Oatsdad

Shockingly, the Winter Soldier debuted in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"! ;)

Though Bucky was in the 1st Cap movie too...

21. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

22. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Uh...fatigue for like 15 years now.

23. vince

24. Chris DeVoe

25. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Enjoyed the first two Superman movies and Michael Keaton as Batman but I'm tired of the genre and wish it would go away. I don't know how we arrived in a place where fictional characters with magic powers are deemed more interesting and fun to watch than ordinary people.

Severin22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.