Comicbook movie fatigue anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

1. No fatigue...but maybe some disappointment in some recent DC movies. As a comic book person the more the better. I can say I don't want to see anymore reboots of characters. Enough is enough with Spider-Man and Batman. I can't wait for Infinity War and Antman's second movie. Enjoyed Black Panther. Loved Dr. Strange. I've said on many other forums....Marvel can do movies but DC can do TV. I really do wish that DC could get their act together as far as movies are concerned. They are just awful. Too dark and again...please no more reboots. I was a DC reader since I can remember...but their movies just suck. I hope they can do Jack Kirby's Fourth World/New Gods justice. I still haven't seen Wonder Woman...but hopefully by this weekend I will see it. I've had the Blu-Ray since black friday and it is still in its shrink. So many movies being made that I have an eye on. Mostly independent comic series like Scout by Tim Truman. I have no desire to see any of the Rob Liefeld Image stuff coming to the big or little screens. It's a good time to be a comic book geek :)

2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe Marvel will bring in Alpha Flight where he can be Puck perhaps?

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Alpha Flight is part of the Captain Marvel comic book now so if the Captain Marvel film does really well, and they make a sequel set in modern day (the first film is set in the 1990's) then every chance we will see Puck.

4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why do studios bother to make actors to get into "hero-shape" if they're made to wear those rubber fake muscle suits? Obviously I'm a Christopher Reeve fan. He filled out the spandex just fine (sounds weird, I don't care :winkgrin:.)

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Pip the Troll

Michael Rose likes this.
  6. I would say I am there, and have been for a while.
    I am worn out on quite a few movie themes and the Marvel movies seem to tick more and more "don't care" boxes than ever before.

I kind of judge this by how I feel towards these shows being on cable TV.
    An example. Many years ago if a Star Wars movie (original 3) were to be on TV (cable or otherwise) it was an event and I was ready to watch.
    Same thing for a few of the Marvel movies...a few.

Not anymore. Just last night "The Force Awakens" was on and I was ambivalent. I did other things.
    All this week there have been various Marvel movies, on various cable channels at no extra charge, and I just don't care.
    I have nothing against the movies, per se, but I don't care enough to take time to watch them either so I would say I am fatigued with most Marvel movies at the moment.

Suspension of reality must be in play when watching these movies, but they have gone too far into the realm of style over substance for my liking.
    Things are just too impossibly far fetched, too many one in a billion close calls, too much everything.

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree, especially about 'too much of everything'. I'm probably in the minority here, but I always preferred standalone superhero movies. You know, the ones where the focus was on a single superhero, such as superman, or batman, or the flash, etc, acting alone as if no other superheroes existed in the same universe.

Whenever you get a gaggle of superheroes in a single movie, it always feels like a diminished experience to me.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You know we've gotten stories about "fictional characters with magical powers" literally forever, right?

Do you really think all movies should be about "ordinary people"? :confused:

Jim B. likes this.
  10. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Another random one on there: Idris Elba. Who's he playing!? Is this movie going to be 4 hours long!?

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

He the rainbow bridge 'gate-keeper' in the "Thor"'s.
    I tell ya',
    There BETTER be a "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" reference in this thing!

beercanchicken likes this.
  12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

bostonscoots wrote the following as part of a post:

Concerning Superman and shaving, there are two answers:
    • Before The 1986 Reboot By John Byrne: Superman's hair doesn't grow on Earth, so there is no need for him to shave.
    • After The Reboot: Superman "shaves" by using his heat vision and a reflective surface to burn off his facial hair.

bostonscoots likes this.
  13. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

When a director like Peter Weir "retires" due to lack of financing and there's an endless stream of comic book movies taking his place, I would regard that as evidence that things are way out of balance.

And yes, a good story about an ordinary person stuck in an extraordinary circumstance is almost always preferable to one that could never happen.

enro99, Deesky and Severin22 like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's the middle ground that's affected. Plenty of small films about ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances are made and released. My wife saw 472 films in the theater last year, and no more than a handful of those were comic book movies. Now they don't get a whole lot of advertising, and the vast majority of them only run for a week.

Sorry, but it's the exact same complaint I hear about radio, where people wrongly claim "there is no good music being released these days". It's not true - there is a ton of good music being recorded these days, but little of it is being played on radio. If you wait for radio to deliver the next great thing to you, you're going to be waiting forever. And in the same way, you're not going to be inundated with TV ads for small, meaningful films. You have to be proactive and check the listings to see what films are opening this week. As I said on post #142 of this very thread, there are 19 different films playing at the 20-plex one mile from me.

Edit to add: She's going to see two films this evening - Death of Stalin and Isle of Dogs. Neither are comic book movies.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  15. Propinquity

The difference in funding is significant I think. When Dead Poet's Society was made years ago (a major studio release), the actors showed up on set weeks before filming and played theater games, developed relationships, etc. If that movie was made today, the actors would show up a few days before production and it would be made at break neck speed. And as you noted, it would have a very limited release. I'm sorry we don't agree but these types of cuts do result in a significantly lower quality product.

The relationship between blockbusters (and their opposites, the small independent release) and popular culture can and should be discussed. It's great that your wife saw 400+ movies and only a handful were comics. But most of us living in the real world are bombarded with this garbage and offered no alternative. A quality independent release that nobody sees has no cultural impact.

j_rocker and Severin22 like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Sorry, but I really haven't seen the drop in quality that you indicate. I see plenty of tiny little films made by committed actors.

If you click on the link in my last post, you'll see the list of 19 different films at the 20 plex in an indistinguished suburb of a mid-sized American city.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  17. Severin22

Severin22 Well-Known Member

Lol... Riiiiight.

18. Severin22

The movie industry right now is basically like it was before Easy Rider came out in 1969 and blew everything wide open. I am hoping we get another revolution like that, but I am not sure it will ever happen in today's world.

19. Propinquity

Chris, I take your point that only a handful of comic book movies are made each year. Sometimes the hype surrounding their openings (i.e., weekend grosses reported as if it were actual news) overshadows everything else. I hope you will at least concede that today's smaller independent dramas are not in the same league as the ones put out by the major studios in the 70s and 80s.

20. Chris DeVoe

I see more than a hundred movies in the theater a year, and I'm a piker compared to my wife. I'm 57 and have been going to the movies for roughly 50 years. I would hope that this would qualify for more than "Lol... Riiiiight."

Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

In that, we're in absolute agreement. I HATE movie grosses being reported, as if that had anything to do with what films to see.

I don't own a theater or a movie studio, so the grosses have no connection to my life in any way.

I'd put a crime drama like Good Time up against any Seventies film. Detroit is the film that should have been made in the Eighties.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You seem to expand your notion of an "ordinary person" story. Does this mean any human who doesn't have superpowers or be in a fantasy circumstance?

Would "Lawrence of Arabia" be about "ordinary people"? Or "Godfather"?

23. Severin22

Apologies :) Everyone, has there own tastes. But for someone like me, when a director like David Lynch hasn't made a movie in over a decade because of the current studio system, and not by choice, that's a travesty.

j_rocker likes this.
  24. Propinquity

I'm not taking the bait, Colin. Believe me though when I say I find you way more interesting than Tony Stark or Peter Parker.

25. Propinquity

X1000. Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.