King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I think that is correct and the estimable Mr Fripp may well have the tapes. Hopefully Bryan and Elton would be ok with them being released. I am a big fan of both of their 1970s work but it goes to show how everyone was shooting in the dark back then.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The original King Crimson E'G CDs are well-regarded and offer, for some, the best versions of the original mixes, but it's quite tricky to know which mastering you have (there were several). See here for more info: Getting To The Bottom of King Crimson On CD

warewolf95, drasil and albertop like this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Thanks I will look at my cds and find out. Thank you for the thread link I shall have a read through.

4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Nostalgia can take up a lot of space. I speak from experience. :)

Flaming Torch likes this.
  5. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Elton never auditioned. Fripp heard his first album and decided he was not suitable.

warewolf95 and drasil like this.
  6. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The boxed sets are limited to 7,000 copies afaik.

boboquisp likes this.
  7. Yes, what I've read is that a session was scheduled but Fripp cancelled it after hearing the Empty Sky album. So the actual audition never took place.

drasil likes this.
  8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

A Bryan Ferry run-through "Schizoid Man" alone is worth the price of admission! :cool:

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I TOLD ya it was difficult music...

warewolf95 and asdf35 like this.
  10. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Great.... more money coming out of my wallet.

warewolf95 and trumpetplayer like this.
  11. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Road to Red is fabulous. Starless as well and a bit better than Red. I originally held off for On (and off) the Road plus THRAK Box and ended up having to search those down for a decent price. Now this and what to do. As someone posted earlier if you are patient the price will come down and you can find one. Prices on ImportCD are great for RTR and Starless etc. but THRAK Box is MIA and I believe that could happen with this one too. I hate overpaying big just to find a month later its $50 less but...................hate even more getting shut out.

12. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Just finished listening to their August 10th, 1971 performance at the Marquee, and I am very interested in this new set. I really like the the song selection from around this time, too, which I can't always say about later eras.

KDubATX likes this.
  13. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I've been shopping around for this. ImportCD just listed it and it's about $25 less which is much less than they usually discount. It is a limited release but all the others were as well. If you buy from Burning Shed it still looks like the best deal at $176 delivered. I have no idea why the different KC box sets are available later at different percentage discounts at ImportCD. More availability? I do know when I decided to buy the THRAK Box a few months ago it was difficult to find at a decent price. Maybe this will be the same or a few months from now significantly less. No clue.

14. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

ImportCD had the best $ on the 80s box by a long shot so I pre-ordered there. Then the week of release they cancelled the pre-order with no notice. Wound up waiting a few months and buying it for a good price, but for more than the original pre-order listing. Would hesitate to pre-order there again, but would have no problems ordering from them later this fall once it is 'in stock'.

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Great performance with solid sound quality. By this point, the Islands line up was really coming into its own and delivering with confidence.

16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Sorry to deviate so far from the topic at hand, but I was weighing whether to pre-order from ImportCDs or Burning Shed and, while BS has the lower price, my estimated total still included VAT. Is that actually removed at checkout if you're not a UK/EU resident?

It's been years since I ordered from them, so I honestly have no recollection how their checkout process works.

17. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

I placed an order for this from burning shed a few days ago. They did remove VAT, but with the shipping cost to Colorado it works out to just about the same price. Roughly 130 pounds

Runicen likes this.
  18. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Other than In The Court, once Sailors Tales has been released, will that be all the gaps plugged tour wise? I seem to recall Atlanta 73 (?) being an excellent show but it doesn't appear in any of the boxes?

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The 1973 US shows are not explored in any box (except for a audience recording included as a bonus in Starless). Perhaps there are not enough decent recordings (soundwise, of course).

20. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

You are correct on both counts

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yes, I would love it if they could magically discover some decent sounding tapes from this period, but I would be amazed if they came up with enough for another box. The Atlanta show is great, as is the Paris performance from earlier that Spring (presented on the DGM site as an audience recording). These performances seem to be haunted a bit more by Muir's freewheeling ghost and the interaction between Fripp and Cross is more fluid and fruitful, before the rhythm section seemed achieve all out dominance.

jay.dee and Rne like this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Does the DGM live site still do downloads for sale. I could not find any link on the site?

23. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Yes - they do - but it seems a bit more convoluted than previously.

You need to go to 'Tour Dates' and then filter using the year on the left hand side and 'Download' on the right hand side (like I have to get to the show at the link below), then at the bottom of the screen you have the option to 'Purchase Show' where you get a FLAC or mp3 option.

King Crimson, 23rd of October 1973 at Apollo

It's not very intuitive - and seems to only work well if you know the particular show that you're looking for.

warewolf95 and Flaming Torch like this.
  24. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Crimson? Intuitive?

25. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Fair point :agree:.

NumberEight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.