King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The good folks at DGM are aware of the glitches on Poseidon and Islands.

2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Plus I heard the 2 track soundboard recordings are better sounding than the 2 track cassette soundboard recordings which make up much of the Road to Red box....button to be pushed after I sign my new 3 year lease on my car:)

Archtop likes this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'd say that Starless sounds a bit better that RtR, but not to any huge degree. There are also two multi-tracks of the Asbury Park show which both have their merits. Other multi-tracks are in the RtR box - these shows were on TGD or released as CC editions.

Now, back to Boz playing roots and fifths. :nyah:

4. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Burrell was a guitar-playing vocalist as was Lake. It's not as though Fripp just decided to make him a musician all of a sudden.

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. Archtop

I didn't know that about Boz, but I can say that to my ears and tastes, Lake took to bass very naturally whereas it sounds like it was a bit of a struggle for Boz. Most folks assume that if one can play guitar, moving to bass is simple and it's easier to play. Perhaps there's some truth to this, especially if one is playing very basic material, but to be a thoughtful, creative improviser on bass is just as difficult, if not more difficult (in some physical ways) as it is on guitar or any other instrument for that matter.

budwhite and lschwart like this.
  6. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Well, it's as easy as moving from guitar to violin. It's easier in a sense that one doesn't need to play chords, but one has to understand them, and play in sync with a drummer, and a singer and/or horn section or string section.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  7. Archtop

Well, it's actually easier than that for me. First violin is tuned in fifths and bass in fourths. I moved from guitar to fretted bass to double bass to fretless electric bass over the years and I own a viola but I can't play it. It's just too small for my hands. At the end of the day, I prefer bass to guitar personally because it's far more rewarding.

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Can anyone tell me exactly what/how much audio material is *only* included on the BR discs and/or DVD's?

It all seems a bit confusing to me . . .

9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Just getting acquainted with the box.

I really like how all content in the box is present on the Blu Ray discs. I think that is a first for the series.

I've never heard "Earthbound" before, largely due to reputation regarding sound quality. Well, even in extended form, it does sound very rough, but I can't fault the performances, which are outstanding.

That carries over to what I have sampled for the complete concert recordings. The "cassette" soundboards leave a lot to be desired, but impressive otherwise.

The 1971 concerts sound much better overall.

So far, I am drawn most towards the rehearsal "blows" on the Lizard Blu Ray, and Denver Summit Studio recordings.

It's going to take a while to absorb everything, old and new (for me)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Same with me. This box is so massive and after three days of intense listening I decided yesterday to take a breath, go for an intermission and listen to something else.
    Regarding Earthbound I found that there is a big difference between the mastering of the Earthbound compilation and the individual concert recordings on same BD vol. 22. I am in favour of the complete concert versions for sounding less sharp and overdriven.

11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I'm a sorta fan of King Crimson but I will say one thing.

Islands has to be my funeral song. It's the most beautiful tune I've ever heard, my god... I really wish Crimson kept that mood going forward but I'm missing the appeal of the group obviously.

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think that there's a wider truth in this about all groups that improvise a lot. Much of their music will always be 'too far out' or 'not out enough' or 'mediocre' or 'short of inspiration' or 'noodling'. When they strike gold, though, it's a gold that another band wouldn't have dug for, and that's what pays for the experience. With Crimson for me it's 'The Night Watch' because there's something strangely magical about that guitar solo on that ballad.

footlooseman and Archtop like this.
  13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Feel the same way about Tangerine Dream. The only band I can think of where the live records are better than the studio ones, and I've heard Crimson is similar.

14. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Ripping vol. 22 BD with DVD-AE I get lost. There are only tracks and chapters und the order seams arbitrary, not the same as in the menue under regular replay. Can anybody give me a hint for better orientation?

15. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

The postman always rings twice...

[​IMG]

16. Mine finally arrived today. I’m loving the three Zoom Club sets- and the artwork/design is really classy. So much content! This will take a while.

Joti Cover likes this.
  17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Ever heard Ai Aso's cover? It's pretty interesting.

Mr. H, jay.dee and asdf35 like this.
  18. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Ladies On The Road can be quite harsh. The humorous insert is at some '72 occasions not very much to my taste.

Glasgow '71 is up to now still my favourite performance. The first bass notes track 1 sounds like a church organ. Get Thy Bearings is just great although intonation of first verse is questionable, the sax soloing is one of his best. Those deep roaring sounds are real' crazy!

19. So far Zoom Club 4.12.71 is my favorite. There is so much energy and the mix is guitar heavy so it has plenty of weight. I’m just scratching the surface so that’s may change.

The extras for the albums proper are compelling listing as well... these guys at DGM know how to make a box set.

20. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Yes, Nightwatch is tied for my #1 fav KC recording. I think lyric referring to the great painting is so well done.

EddieMann, Sordel and Kalli like this.
  21. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I agree with you. As I've been making my way through the Starless box, I always enjoy hearing Nightwatch -- it never gets old for me!

22. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Can a Gort finally add Sailors' Tales to the thread title??? Please!!!

GregK and tonewheeltom like this.
  23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Someday I'll stand in front of that painting and listen to this song. Someday...

Marty T, GregK and ermylaw like this.
  24. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Thanks to Gary for the thread title fix! :cheers:

Runicen and jacethecrowl like this.
  25. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

For some reason those are always that way. Same w/Yes Steven Wilson disc's. When I get to these I'll post up. I'm only on disc 12 rip so far and listening starting w/Disc 1. So far this is crazy great.

Judge Judy and Kalli like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.