King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Barnes And Noble is having a 20% off sale on their website, so I went ahead and ordered this set. I also have the Larks' Tongues, Road To Red and Thrak boxes, and this will certainly look good sitting on the shelf beside them.

xj32 likes this.
  2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I'm really happy I don't have to rip each individual CD. Everything is on the Blu Ray.

alx7 and xj32 like this.
  3. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

I don’t know if it’s there under a different title, but I can see a track on the Poseidon CD that isn’t on the Blu-ray.

4. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I've said before that I don't like this period of Crimson very much, but this box is such a revelation! Still don't care much for the Islands album or Boz singing, but there is much to enjoy on this set.

Judge Judy and Sordel like this.
  5. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

If you are using DVD Audio Extractor it lets you select a track and play it with the screen display you see when you use your BD player. That's how I ID'd my rips along with referencing the track list in the book..

Kalli likes this.
  6. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Is anybody having problems with discs 5, 6, and 17? I am unable to download to iTunes.

7. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I'm stupid then. I didn't think all the content was on the blu-ray. Could have saved myself mucho time.

8. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

9. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I don't think all the content is on the Blu-ray discs.

10. KirbysAdventure

KirbysAdventure Forum Resident

I want this quite a bit. A box featuring the ProjeKcts, TCOL, and TPTB would be nice as well. Especially since they've been teasing a remix or TCOL, with acoustic drums.

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Pretty sure I've ripped those, and ... no problems here.

12. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

ripped without issue for me. I used Exact Audio Copy

13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

What's missing?

14. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Nothing. I was reading a track list somewhere and it was quite incomplete. As you stated a step forward having all this on Blu-ray. Happy Thanksgiving!

15. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I have a rehearsal of A Man, A City from the original Islands DVD-A from a few years back and I cannot find it on the BluRays in this set...

16. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I looked for that track and it's not there so i'd say you should keep that disc.......but there's so much else on those discs you might not miss it.

xj32 likes this.
  17. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

At least I'm not crazy :)

18. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

So the state of play for this box set is:

Everything on the CDs and DVDs in the box set is on the blu rays.

The blu rays contain some content not on the CDs and DVDs.

Everything on the old DVD-Audio releases is in the box set
    except for a rehearsal of A Man, A City which is on the original Islands DVD-A.

Quincy, asdf35, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

So I finally got off me duff and listened to Blow No. 3 and that's clearly in G minor, so it's reasonably safe to conclude that it's Rick Kemp on Blow No. 3. I haven't A/B'ed Blows No. 1 and 2 vs. 3 to try to ascertain whether it's the same bass player on all three yet, but will endeavor to do so whilst plowing through as much of my new material (I've got too much, to be honest) as I can.

I would add, just for the sake of it, that Fripp starts this lovely sustained note thing at 3:58 of Blow No. 3 that's really nice. Things then unravel in fine fashion from there. :cool:

TFEC and asdf35 like this.
  20. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Yes all was saying was I'd love to see blu-ray audio release of " in the court"....I have multiples releases of it....and I love the big box set....just would like a stan alone blu-ray!I love the "on/off the road" boxset...."discipline" was my first exposure to crimson...and I saw them touring that album at the savoy theatre!amazing show....Burford being on fire!!from there I explored a enjoy all of the earlier albums...especially "in the court" and "poseidon"!!!

John Kelman likes this.
  21. jblock

jblock Senior Member

There is no take of A Man, A City on the Islands 40th anniversary DVD-A. There is, however, a take of Drop In, which is included on the Islands Blu-ray on the new box set.

jacethecrowl likes this.
  22. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

why does Earthbound and most of the 1972 tour sound so bad? These are soundboard recordings, but some are from soundboard cassette. What's the difference?

23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

It could be a simple matter of no one watching the level meters on the cassette recorder.
    If the soundman is too busy mixing, he may just throw in the cassette, hit record and hope for the best.

24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

And perhaps the earlier soundboards were reel to reel?

vudicus likes this.
  25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

That's definitely a possibility too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.