Comments on a Janis Interphase 1A Subwoofer needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I'm considering adding a sub to get some real foundation moving bass in my system. :D

I found the above at a used place. They want about $450.00 CAD for it. That's about the price range for Polk and some other drivers that I was looking at. It has a separate crossover / controller amp. The actual sub looks like a square coffee table. Sorry, I forgot what driver (12"? 15"?) is in it.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks!

2. Gary

No one? Maybe it was an inferior sub then... :confused:

I found a few on the internet for $999.00 USD so the $450.00 is a good price. On the other hand, if it's a bad sub, $450.00 is too much! :D

3. Dave23

Dave23 Senior Member

Gary, don't know anything about the Janis Interphase, sorry. But if your looking for a sub that handles music as well as HT and don't want to go as high as a Sunfire, you might take a look at the Adire Audio subs. Excellent value, great performance IMO.

Adire Audio Rava $399.00 US
    Adire Audio Rava SE $599.00 US

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio/loudspeakers/exact_series/rava.htm

Just a thought :thumbsup:

-Dave

4. Gary

Thanks, Dave918! In any set up I believe that it should be able to handle music reproduction as #1. Everything else should come after that - including HT!

Appreciate the link! :)

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Hsu Research subs come highly recommended by many, including a recording engineer I know in Boston. Hsu's subs are known for extending very low, low enough to get the "pedal tones" on a large pipe organ (which can go to 16Hz). The lowest priced sub may be within your reach, but it's a bit more than what your used sub is costing. (Looks like their lowest model VTF-2 model is being given a Class AA rating by Stereophile...$499US.)

http://www.hsuresearch.com

Is there any way you can borrow that sub and try it out? You might see if it works good on the music you listen to, and in your room, before having to live with it. Might help with the neighbors, too, to put it on top of a patio block. :)

6. Gary

Thanks for the link, Rudy!

This place is in it strictly for the money. No refunds, they'll fix it (eventually) if it does not work, cash only.... and it's a store, not the back of a truck! :eek:

I think I'll pass on this sub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.