Complete Audio Note UK system both digital & analogue now in my listening room.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not to thread crap. But no photo shop. A little adjusting in photobucket where they hist these images. Opening up dark shadows areas adjust saturation etc.

I understand that most people just snap and post and don't even know that you can tap your phone screen before taking the photo , to adjust your exposure. Especially is there is back light.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Guarantee that will NEVER happen!

bhazen likes this.
  3. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

As "Speaker Boy" I would like to say more about moving speakers and listening for their best position.

I have already written about moving them farther and farther apart until the center image splits into a hole in the middle, then going back to where the center image returns. That is one part of the process. But the most important thing that Steve and I have going for this process is that there are two of us, working together. I think it's best to have one dedicated listener and one dedicated mover. Luckily, Steve is truly an artist, so he can listen for subtle differences and make valuable comments about each position we try.

I am essentially an engineer, by training and career, so I am VERY precise about measuring distances. For every move, no matter how small, I make sure that he is EXACTLY in the center and that the speakers are EXACTLY the same distance from his chair. As we try different seating distances from the center, different speaker separation, and different tow angles, I am always on top of making sure everything stays PERFECTLY symmetrical. Whenever we find a position that sounds best so-far, I put tape on the floor to remember it.

Warren Jarrett/SM Audio.

4. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Real good sound is a beautiful gift. Even with my limited resources I get those moments when i am happy in audio nirvana - often from unexpected records.
    Tonight it was out of all PRINCE's albums BATMAN Side 1 'Arms Of Orion' that simply blew me away - never knew the LP was so darn well mastered and pressed. Each instrument clearly in the right spot, Sheena Easton + Prince's voices were palpable and the whoomp of that funky groove coupled with a nearly three dimensional soundstage did that trick. It surely is a fantastic song, too.
    Well The new Thorens TD 206 sounds amazing with the Sumiko BPS EVO III . Thorens know how to build great turntables - Sonus faber know how to build speakers and Anthony Michaelson is a genius when it comes to electronics esp. amplification. Even their entry gear sounds FAB imo..2 subwoofers add the weight to those lower 2 octaves that the sweet Toys cannot realistically reproduce but it's all about the midrange and those sweet silky highs..lol
    Wished one day I could listen to a real world class system like yours.
    But maybe it is better like this. No other person in my crew has anything remotely as good sounding as my set-up. So i feel blessed, that might/might not change once i hear the real Highest end.

timind likes this.
  5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Congrats, Steve! Sounds good, and I bet it does.

However, 'Isis' interconnects? They might wanna rename those. I'm sure most here would know why. I don't wanna delve into politics or world news here.

norman_frappe likes this.
  6. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing further insights into this AN system! Thanks again Steve :)

7. Steve Hoffman

As the stuff breaks in it will be interesting to see how it ripens.

raferx likes this.
  8. thommo

thommo Senior Member

The only AudioNote stuff I've heard was at one of the Classic Album Sunday events - they use the JINRO integrated & AN-E speakers, and they have done for a little while now.

The Hanbury Arms isn't exactly a "controlled environment", but it was a pretty magical experience, listening in to the music rather than the system.

motorcitydave likes this.
  9. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

"AN-E/SPe speakers in Wengewood with dedicated AN stands.
    Isis speaker cable.
    Jinro integrated amplifier.
    TT-2 Deluxe turntable/Arm 3 v1/IQIII cart
    M6 RIAA phono stage.
    CDT Three CD transport.
    DAC2.1x SIGNATURE digital to analogue converter.
    Isis interconnects."

Steve/Warren, is there a specific reason why you have chosen the DAC 2.1 Sig, as on paper the DAC looks the weakest link in this particulair Jinro/M6 based setup? Is there a specific reason why it is favoured over the more logical choice DAC 3.1? Both D/A's (2.1 Sig & 3.1) do not use any from of digital nor analoge filtering, correct?

I'm curious as in the future I will be looking for AN D/A and the step up in price between the two is almost 100%, where the 2.1 Sig will probably be in my budget.

Btw, enjoy your new system Steve, your a very lucky guy having friends like Warren and Peter!

triple likes this.
  10. moops

moops Senior Member

No worries, just messin' with ya.
    I didn't think that would be the case as you can tell you're pretty enamored with this gear.
    Must be cool to see a stack of it staring back at you in your living room.

11. Steve Hoffman

Listening to the music rather than the system. A good way to put it.

raferx likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

I thought the DAC might be the weak link as well, until I looked inside it.

I believe the components sent were just what Audio Note had in stock at that moment. The idea was to get me going with both digital and analog AN playback ASAP. It's all a fine, fine match regardless.

13. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

The price of any component is critical for many, so it's often annoying when trying to search out AN products only to find them listed as "price on request". be it the MM or the Amps.
    This often suggests that it is an item or items out of my price range :-(

triple likes this.
  14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I've been told that's mostly due to changes in currency, and the fact that for many AN UK products, they build them once the order is put in (which I've found out, can be several months wait), so depending on the cost you could end up paying a few hundred dollars more or less after it's completed; that's why it was explained to me that they don't like to post "set" prices.

15. triple

triple Senior Member

If this ^ was the reason, they could put the UK prices in £ on their main web site. But they didn't.

16. Gordon Johnson

Fair comment but I live in the UK and having an idea of the ballpark figure would really help.
    My case. I'm looking to add a tube amp to my set up. It's been a couple of years of thinking and a short spell of saving [so far]. I'm in no rush but it is helpful to know the sort of money I need to get what I want. As it stands the Jinro is probably the only possibility of a match from AN for me but if I don't know a figure I'll look elsewhere especially as I have no local dealer.

17. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Contact AN UK directly. They'll be able to help you I'm sure.

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Jinro is around £16.5K. They had a yellow version discounted at the National Audio show last week for £14.5K. My view of AN is it is best as an all AN system though speakers can be used with other gear as well as amps. Those on a budget seek out some of the old Snell speaker designs on which UK AN are based. I think the latest AN pick up arm 1 to 3 is particularly good value but most of their products run from seriously expensive to for millionaires only.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  19. Gordon Johnson

Thanks folks, I'll be looking elsewhere then.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you must have tubes and decent power try Icon Audio. Anglo/Chinese but affordable prices.

21. Gordon Johnson

22. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Gordon Johnson and raferx like this.
  23. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Just posting what I was told. Otherwise, it's just as much a mystery to me.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Peter Qvortrup at Audio Note UK talks about the sound coming from an AN system or a component as having "dynamic density", "elasticity", "authenticity", "believability", "immediacy", "authority", "evenness", "colour", "refinement" etc. He likes his alternative measurement system. Pretty much no one else does though. I do now as well.

raferx likes this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

The thing about any measurement [system], it requires a certain degree of relate-ability. Without that the measurement system is meaningless. Now you have the set up it becomes easier to see how those terms are related to the components making the measurement system easier to identify with.

If Peter wants to supply all readers of this thread with a set so we can all relate to that measurement system .............................. lol :yikes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.