Complete Buddy Holly?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there a way to buy the complete Buddy Holly on CD? Ideally a boxed set, but, if not, which separate releases would cover his entire discography with the least duplication?
    :)

Hep Alien and Dave112 like this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

3. Sadly that's long out of print and 2nd hand prices are insane. I'm glad I got a copy as a birthday present when it was still easily available. It really deserves a reissue.

4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Thank you. Unfortunately it costs £200.

5. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Needledrop or listen to the LPs for me...from what I've read the mastering on the CDs isn't all that great.

6. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Jimmy B., Hep Alien, Mylene and 9 others like this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Spazaru likes this.
  8. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I managed to get a copy of this set in 2010 before prices went up. It's essential only if you want alternate takes, undubbed masters (i.e. no added background vocals) and all the later overdubbed versions from 1959 to '69.

9. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident

If you look around, Purple Chick did a fan curated version of just that.

10. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

FYI i just checked, this box is available at Qobuz for EURO 83,99.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  11. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I'm not sure if it has all of them. Probably not quite all of them, but the two of them together can be had for really cheap and IMO gives you everything essential he ever did and then some!

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  12. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Get The Complete Buddy Holly (1979) 6LP box set on vinyl & burn your own...

It includes everything Buddy recorded in chronological order...

I also own the Analogue Production albums & CDs of The Chirpin Crickets & Buddy Holly...beautiful sound

You also need the SH mastered 2LP Legend & For The First Time Anywhere but you can get these on CD remember..

Legend on CD is titled From The Original Master Tapes...

All of these are the best sound for Buddy Holly available

13. Shak Cohen

I like these two a lot, but I think the Jack Hansen and Norman Petty/Fireballs posthumous overdubs are great as well...not everyone would agree with me on that though...

Lewisboogie, cwitt1980 and Spazaru like this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I've loved Buddy since my early teens! If you want to try some of this out before you buy. Every collection mentioned here is on Spotify. I was just listening to the 200+ song complete collection and Spotify's version sounded great!

Now for my claim to fame, two years ago I was asked to perform a '50s rocker for a middle school performance where at was working. They were thinking Elvis, but he was kind of over done and folks usually made him into a charicature, so I suggested Buddy instead and they went for it. You have all these kind of shy embarrassed kids performing their numbers. Then I come out and just explode into Not Fade Away! It was so much fun, when I sang the first notes of "I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be!" The crowd was visably going whoa and everybody sat up on their seats! I think it helped that I did the whole shy Buddy thing first and talked about coming from Lubbock, Texas, then they didn't expect me to take the roof off the place. Man, that was fun! I was blessed to be that guy once, Buddy got to be that guy Everyday!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  15. Shak Cohen

Going slightly off topic, but the Jack Hansen tapes were remixed and remastered in 2011, on a release called "That Makes It Sound So Much Better".
    Rollercoaster Records
    So maybe if the Petty/Fireballs tracks can be gathered together on one disc, that would be the entire box out on CD?

Hep Alien and melstapler like this.
  16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

A few year's back I purchased a dubious boxset entitled "THE BUDDY I KNEW" Which consisted 6 c.d.'s of everything from apartment demos to d.j. promo announcements to "THAT'LL BE THE DAY"....this set also includes radio reports the morning after the tragic plane crash!!the sound quality is great overall!I have the complete hippo-deluxe boxset...and an English import of the M.C.A. 6l.p. boxset!!no turntable...but I intend to digitize this vinyl set in future.I love buddy holly!!!

17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Hopefully a controversial gray market label will clone the Buddy Holly "Not Fade Away: Complete Studio Recordings" box set sometime in the near future. It would sell very well.

18. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Yes... there are bootleg boxesets out there....buddy has been issued...re-issues....I hate,boot-leg anything but "THE BUDDY I KNEW" is an interesting beast.I've never seen another copy new or used... and I purchased the only copy at "H.M.V." in manhattan when they were still in business.

melstapler likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

20. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    melstapler likes this.
  21. Brief but very productive!

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yes! The audio quality is superior on the original (1979) than on the 'Not Fade Away' Collection.
    The NFC is a wonderful set though! A reissue with new mastering would be wonderful!

I found something I can't find any information on.
    I stumbled across this GIF, a second or two of Buddy & The Crickets I've never seen before
    and I can't find anything on youtube to support it.
    Is there a full clip of this? I'd love to see it!
    [​IMG]

23. darling

darling Senior Member

It's from a TV show called Hightime. There's only about twelve seconds total. Buddy starts at about eight minutes and ten seconds in.

24. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

L

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  25. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

And unless better sources, tapes and care in mastering ever turn up, unfortunately....you know the rest. I heard most of the previously-booted material was sourced from the Purple Chick set. And with the master tapes "reportedly" burned up in the Universal fire, apart from some a few decent mastering (SH, KG), unfortunately the more recent CD's will all we'll have. :-(

Shak Cohen likes this.