Complete Peanuts Books: Anyone satisfied with just having a few?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Keith V, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love the Peanuts comic strips. I’ve had most of the Fawcett Crest books growing up (still do) and I also have lots of compilation books.
    I have about 6 of the Fantagraphics Complete books not in sequence.
    I know many of us on the forum are very OCD about being a completist....myself included....but is there anyone here who’s happy with just having a few of the books?

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have only the first volume. I'd love to have them all but there's just too darn many. Actually I haven't gotten sick of the first one yet because it's so different - Charlie Brown is a little troublemaker in the beginning. It's kind of refreshing.

Keith V likes this.
  3. Keith V

True, he really is

Yeah. It’s just too much. Too much money, too much space, too much to read....

I’m reading the 63-64 one now, as a lifelong fan, I recognize about 60% of the strips so the ones I’ve never read are a nice surprise.

By the way, all the strips are online.

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I started at the beginning and stopped buying where for me the quality went down: After 1978.

John K.

Keith V likes this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I have the first nine, which I bought as they came out, that gives me up through 1968. I'll probably get the tenth volume eventually, but then that's it for me. Not that it wasn't still a good strip, but I think the writing started to decline a bit in the '70s, and I just don't enjoy them nearly as much as the earlier strips. Still, for almost twenty years Schulz was top of his field, and what's that, like 7000 strips or so? Amazing.

(Still have a couple dozen of the old Fawcett paperbacks too!)

Keith V likes this.
  6. Keith V

They smell better than the Fantagraphics

O Don Piano and Culpa like this.
  7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Yes they do! :)

Not to mention they also have different layouts for the vertical reading experience, including missing panel borders, and as I recall occasional "extra" or "extended" background art (most likely not by Schulz?)

Suncola and Keith V like this.
  8. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I had a few of the old Fawcett paperbacks when I was a child, but I have no idea what happened to them. I know I never see them at the thrift stores, and I've been looking for a while.

Keith V likes this.
  9. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Schulz did some of my favorite sequences in the nineties. My all time favorite sequence is one he did where Sally purchases a ride on Snoopy's airline, gets mad when she doesn't actually arrive anywhere other than her back yard, decides to sue, and in a bizarre twist, hires ...wait for it... Snoopy as her lawyer. They go to the courthouse, and Snoopy panics when he realizes he's in over his head. Very, very surreal.

10. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I’d love to have them all up to ‘80, as after that it’s mostly Snoopy (who I like in small doses but is still my least favorite character) and repetition.
    I tell my family you can’t go wrong with going to Barnes & Noble and getting these or Criterion BDs as a present for me, as when it comes to music I’d rather have my pick of pressing.

Texastoyz and Keith V like this.
  11. Keith V

In one of the Fawcett Crest books, they changed “1962” to “1970” (not in Schulz’s handwriting) to make the book seem new I guess. [​IMG]

Suncola likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm still looking for the book I had as a kid: "He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown".

Keith V likes this.
  13. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Many copies on eBay, it looks like. There’s even one edition that comes with a read-along 7”

Keith V likes this.
  14. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

I have 1950-1976. That covers my childhood fascination period and all that came before.

Keith V likes this.
  15. Keith V

Yeah. My books went up to about 78 while growing up. If I ever choose to collect a whole bunch in sequence I’d probably stop at about 76.

In case you were wondering, the ones I have are:
    50-52
    53-54
    57-58
    63-64
    69-70
    71-72

Suncola likes this.
  16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

What I have:

1950-64 (though the first two are the budget paperbacks)
    1969-72
    1975-88
    1991-94

To me, that's plenty.

Keith V likes this.
  17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I have all from 1950 to 1968.
    I want all up to 1976.
    I’m just not a fan of Spike and Rerun, and Snoopy’s overwhelming dominance after that.

That said, I love the Peanuts strips and admire Schulz deeply.

Keith V likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I bought them as they came out, so I didn't really notice the expense. I have every strip but one, as there was an error in the first printing of one book, with a duplicate strip included.

Keith V likes this.
  19. Keith V

Didn’t they print the missing strip in the following book ?

20. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Bought them all. I was afraid some would go out of print like DCC and MFSL discs.

Keith V likes this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I have them all, in the duo packs with the slipcases, but Ive probably only opened and read about 3 of the 25. I love the strip but find it hard to commit to reading them. Also they are nice books so I cant just leave them laying around in the can like I could with the old paperbacks.

Suncola and Keith V like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Thought it was just subsequent editions.

Keith V likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup - 1977/78 is the last volume I bought. I have all of them through that one.

As a completist, I was tempted to get the rest, but I just didn't enjoy the last few I got, and I knew the strip wouldn't improve, so I bailed...

Keith V and O Don Piano like this.
  24. Keith V

Which book had the problem?

25. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

Got them all. Couldn't imagine not getting all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.