Completely blowing it during a TV performance

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by overdrivethree, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

She should have blamed it on the rain.

jfeldt likes this.
  2. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

Sinead O'Connor and Van Morrison did a duet on Letterman that was pretty terrible (and in this case not Sineads fault!) - check it out here on youtube:

3. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

I remember this as particularly awful on Morrison's part, yet it was included on Live on Letterman. And I didn't notice anything wrong with the Replacements as such.

How about the sound engineers blowing it when the Clash appeared on Fridays?

4. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Still waiting for the clip to turn up and confirm it, but when I was a young lad, I seem to remember that when Family performed "Burlesque" on Top Of The Pops in 1972, Roger Chapman spent most of the song in fits of laughter. I'm not sure he even managed to get through the first verse.

Can anyone else remember this?

5. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

That is actually quite hilarious.

2:18: Van conducts the orchestra

2:53: Van randomly yells "Blah Blah Blah" into the mic.

And at the end, he nearly drops Sineads' mic.

6. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

Most likely a technical problem, knowing the show, particularly as I remember this particular incident happening.

Pebble Mill At One was a live weekday magazine show, which came from the BBC's studio complex at Pebble Mill, Birmingham. The show didn't use a studio as such, instead shooting everything in either the complex's reception area or outside. Being a live show mistakes were fairly common, particularly as it didn't use a dedicated studio as such.

Dan C and EddieT like this.
  7. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Here's Van again:D

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

One of my favorite bands of the 80s and 90s who should have been bigger, the Connells, got their big chance to perform on Conan O'Brien's show in 1993, and singer Doug MacMillan unfortunately had a pretty severe case of nerves. I don't know whether you could say they completely blew it here, but they were much, much better and more confident on stage night in and night out than they show in this environment:

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  9. varispeed

varispeed what if?

This is my all time favorite drummer mistake-causing-trainwreck at 6 seconds into the intro (and by the way, I want ALL those 1965 girls)-

GerryO, Gumboo, milankey and 4 others like this.
  10. Craig Torso

Craig Torso Active Member

Yeah, strikes me that Van's goofing around. Despite his reputation as a gloomy Gus. He's got the band grinning, and Sinead laughing despite herself.

AnalogJ and krock2009 like this.
  11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I'd say he was going through a mid-life crisis. He was turning 50, and probably insecure about it. A friend of mine saw him live at The Supper Club around the same time, and said he was an absolute mess.

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

krist novoselic blows the bass toss at the end of the song and knocks himself silly.

analog74 and PROG U.K. like this.
  13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

That was a fun performance, everyone freaked when Mick licked Ron Wood's face! I haven't thought about that in years.

14. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

PWEI doing Ich Bin Ein Auslander on "The Late Late Show" in front of mostly old people. From what I understand after soundcheck they went and got ****-faced drunk and this was the result:

(Starts about a minute in)

This isn't really blowing it I guess, seems like they couldn't care less who knew it was a backing track. If anyone actually saw them live in the early 90s they were great.

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  15. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

4 pages and nobody has mentioned this?

FOR5, junk, goodiesguy and 5 others like this.
  16. danner

danner Forum Resident

Their Austin City Limits performance from the "final tour" was pretty sloppy too. I've only seen the DVD version, so I have no idea how much of it actually aired on PBS. There's one point during "Fair Touching" where a very drunk Nate Farley wanders out into the crowd with his guitar, and as he attempts to climb back up on stage, he falls on his face and makes a loud "CLANG" with his guitar.

17. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The band is excellent, though!

zebop and krock2009 like this.
  18. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Other have pointed out but it can't be said often enough......
    The Replacements on SNL is as good as it gets.
    One of my most-watched all-time clips on the net.

A. Scrounger and Dan C like this.
  19. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Pfft... that assbutt Craig did performed that tired old instrument trashing schtick at every ducking performance as far as I remember. His overrated ass deserved to fade into obscurity.

krock2009 likes this.
  20. Stone Pony

Stone Pony Well-Known Member

John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett on the OGWT performing Bob Lind's Cheryl's Goin' Home.

Pretty impressive until it all starts to go very wrong around the 3 minute mark!! :D

21. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

What about the David Bowie 1980 Floor Show segment where he did a duet with Marianne Faithfull. The song was, "I Got You Babe." Bowie, one of the best singers of all time, with one of the worst singers of all time.

She made a mediocre song even worse.

Bowie could not hide his dismay.

22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Gotta add my voice to those in praise of the 'Mats performance. It just teetered delightfully on the edge of chaos... that's what we like to see.

Speaking of Tommy Stinson, his new boss Axl Rose made a right hash of his live TV comeback at the 2002 VMA's:

It was a real shame - I saw the old lunatic live just three days before this, and he was spectacular. That could just have been smoke and mirrors, mind....

23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I remember him doing 57 Channels and Nothing On (not one of his best)-----his voice cracked-----so then he kept doing it throughout the song-----or that was my impression----it was awkward.

24. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I just watched the video you posted. Did you make a mistake? One of the greatest performances of all time!

25. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

My friend worked that show that night, and lost all respect for Van who was obnoxiously drunk and belligerent

krock2009 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.