Completely OCD question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by L.P., Mar 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry, this is completely OCD. If a stack of say 25 records inside a shelf drops to one side, from 90° upright to say 45° degrees, because someone was rearranging shelves and let those stupid records slip, can this do any harm? I don't think there's enough energy to bend or even crack a disc, but it made me cringe a little.

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Unlikely.

vinylontubes likes this.
  3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

What was room temperature? For how long? ;)

macster and L.P. like this.
  4. No, and by the way, you can never keep records perfect. Try, try as you may but they all wear and they all get crackly and noisy. Lesson: Don't let stuff like that bother you.

bhazen, neruda, punkmusick and 3 others like this.
  5. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Mine don't, if they weren't noisy and crackly to begin with.

6. You must be a youngster, and you must not play yours. Buy your records new and you actually play them, and yes after a number of years they do.

bhazen, macster and L.P. like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yet. If you play them, over time they will, no matter how well you care for them

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Indeed, but depending on gear and record it may not be noticeable for many lifetimes.

bever70 and timind like this.
  9. :faint:

macster likes this.
  10. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

The majority of records I bought new in the 70s still play like new, sorry for your pops and clicks.

nick99nack, SirMarc, anorak2 and 6 others like this.
  11. I don't have pops and clicks, I play them rarely and I put them onto tape and CD and I play those. I've done it for decades, Don't make assumptions about people.

macster likes this.
  12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

This sound like a question for my friend but he may need to know how far you are from the center of the Earth.

L.P. and bever70 like this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

I contend if a human plays records, no matter the table or the care taken, the records will show signs of wear.
    Unless they are severe, or I focus on them, I don't really hear the pops and clicks when I'm listening to music. I seem to be able to listen through them. But, records I bought in the 70s had the crap played out of them and show it. I had what would've been considered a quality table and swapped carts regularly. I was careful with the records, but when you have 50-100 albums, you play them. When you play them daily, they wear. I wonder how many times I played A Wizard, A True Star or The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars? Had to be in the hundreds. My copy of Diamond Dogs was rarely played and is still pristine.

Now, if I would've had 2000 albums back then, I would've played them a couple times a year instead of a couple times each week or day, in some cases. Like I say, if you play them, they wear. Maybe our definition of "play them" is different.

14. Jimi Floyd

I wasn't addressing you specifically, but now I can make the assumption you are quite a nervous kind of guy.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  15. :laugh: "Whatever gets you through the night".

Fishoutofwater and Jimi Floyd like this.
  16. Jimi Floyd

I used to tape my records first, than use the recorded cassettes 99% of the time, having the vinyl stored like jewels in a closed drawer. I knew that strategy would pay in the long run, and I am profiting of the outcome today. Yes, I play records much more today than back then and I have got much better equipment now too.

Floyd Crazy and timind like this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

I also adopted the practice of taping albums for play sometime in the early 80s. Although I have to say, it never was as satisfying playing the tapes for some reason. And this even after buying cassette decks that made copies that were indistinguishable (unless listening very closely for differences on headphones) from the album. But yeah, my albums purchased after 1980 or so are still pretty much perfect because of minimal play.

Not trying to be a dick, but your reply above pretty much makes my point. If you play, and I mean really play your records, they will wear and become noisier. If you collect records, and look at them, instead of playing them, they'll last a very long time. You should see my pristine copy of Welcome To The Pleasure Dome. It's been touched by human hands maybe four or five times. Comparing that to my copy of Songs In The key Of Life which I listened to the other night; crackle city, but the music is wonderful.

18. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

:pineapple:

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Not if you can then clean and store them correctly...

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No harm done...repeat and believe...

21. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

OP For OCD questions you've come to the right place - the mere fact anyone posts here by default makes them OCD about audio. No need to qualify your questions - we all share the affliction.

I love it when certain members here point fingers implying "it's the other guy, everyone else is OCD, but not ME!"

L.P. and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Why when I read a thread title like "Completely OCD question", does the subject of "vinyl" suddenly pop into my mind?

23. You made me laugh out loud! Its the "joy" of vinyl my friend. I love my LPs but CDs are so much more relaxing:wave::hide::biglaugh:

Drewan77 and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Relaxing to me is to put on Pandora and sit back...

25. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

No.

(....reminds me of the question - "if a man speaks in a deserted forest & his wife isn't around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Ponzio, Maltman, forthlin and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.