Component Video switcher for audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aphexacid, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro. Thread Starter

About 10 years ago (probably more), before hdmi was standard on everything, I needed a good quality component switch box. So I purchased an Inday RGB4X-R switcher. It served me quite well over the years.

However, I find myself needing an rca switcher for a receiver to switch between cd/and a turntable.

So hooked up the Inday switcher with rca audio cables to the red and blue ports, and it seems to be working fine.

My question is, should I not be doing it? Can it harm anything? Is there even a difference between the rca audio jacks versus the video jacks?

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Component video cables can work excellently for audio. They are made more consistently, with tighter specs. They are a particularly good choice for phono or digital coax, where an off-the shelf audio cable would also fail to perform (like it does for video). I would expect nothing less for a component video switchbox (with simply mechanical switching or relays, that don't try to detect video signals).

3. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I like the passive ones. I have one that used for component video 18 years ago or something and it worked great. I used it for audio when I needed it on and off for years, and I think it is great! You may not need it to do what it does forever, but it has been very helpful for me when I need it!

4. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro. Thread Starter

That’s what I figured, thank you guys for the replies much appreciated!

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I don't think you should do it, depends on how happy you are with the sound you are getting and most importantly the quality of the equipment you are using because otherwise you probably won't notice any difference. Anything you add in the sound chain will be in detriment of the final sound. I would prefer just to swap the rca connectors rather than add more cables and a switch box

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thankfully, if he has cables and a switch box, he can run some subjective tests to see if he can hear a difference. If he can’t hear a difference , then there are no detrimental effects to the sound.

macster and patient_ot like this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Back when I ran a powered speaker system I used a video switcher box to switch components. It works fine, so long as the switchbox doesn't add audible noise. If you get nervous about using the switch box you could buy one made for audio, though it will be more expensive. JDS, Schiit, and some other companies make them. They sometimes come with passive volume control also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.