Concert Fidelity CF-080-LSX2 line stage owners, try Amperex "Bugle Boy" 12AU7 tubes!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Those of you who have the Concert Fidelity CF-080 line stage (and I know a few of you do, copycats!) you need to try Holland made 12AU7 Bugle Boys!

I've had Masa's CF0080 line stage for many years. Actually I have two of them, the prototype in black (you might have seen it in action at RMAF and CES, etc.) and a newer production model with Mullard EZ81 rectifier. If you have Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7's in your tube stash, this is THE preamp to use them on. I've used Tungsrams in there, Telefunkens, Mullards (too laid back) and even RCA "Clear Tops" (too aggressive) but I think I've really found the best 12AU7 for this design.

The Bugle Boys really make a 3D sound, more than usual with this line stage. I mean, any $20,000.00 preamp is going to make magic but the Bugle Boys give extra. In any other circuit I've tried them in I've been underwhelmed but in the 080 it's extra magic.

So, take a tip from me and get a NOS pair. Make sure you don't get fakes. The real ones are out there but could be over $100.00 a tube now. Worth it in this case...

They are also great in the Concert Fidelity A/D, etc. but the line stage is THE place to have a primo pair of these.

http://www.concertfidelity.jp/index.html

If you want an even more forceful sound (too over the top for me) you can try some 12AT7's in there. Both Hajime Soto and Masataka Tsuda (Masa) tell me that this is OK. It's louder in gain but if you want to have a treat, try a nice Mullard, Mazda, etc. 12AT7. I had a pair in mine for a week but I wanted more neutrality with that 3D midband intact so I went back to the 12AU7 tube. The Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7's do it.

Carry on.

Attached Files:

Paul@Z-axis likes this.
  2. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Beautiful pics!

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Start the identification process for those Amperex tubes by looking for "X" seams across the top of the tube - that's a good starting point in identifying Phillips family products. If they're like Amperex 7308s, look for a Herleen factory code that will be 2 lines of numbers/shapes/letters etched in light gray/black along the bottom side of the envelope. Brent Jesse's tube site has a nice decoding list to identify the who/where/when Phillips family tubes were made - bookmark this for a great reference page if you're looking for genuine NOS tubes: http://www.audiotubes.com/mullcode.htm

4. Steve Hoffman

Mike,

Much appreciated. Don't want anyone buying fakes.

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Easy to fake paint markings on new production tubes - a little research will save $$$ in the long run.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Those tube pins may need a cleaning. ;)

7. Steve Hoffman

Just some pic I found on the Internet. You'd be amazed at how many people (probably most) who have no idea what a "Bugle Boy" is but don't want to ask.

8. Steve Hoffman

Good thing about Bugle Boys is that no matter which version one has (long plates, short plates, winged plates, Grey plates, purple plates, plaid plates, etc) they all sound about the same. In other words, the same basic sonic signature.

The thing is, real BUGLE BOYS are not rare rubes. Expensive tubes but not rare, same as Telefunken input tubes. A lot were made, a lot were sold in the USA.

On the other hand some of these RTF or RFT (whatever it is) from France, etc. tubes are much harder to find, so it is a relief to me that a "common" tube like an Amperex Bugle Boy is my tube of choice in this unit. If I didn't have 40 new old stock already, I could find some good examples. All it takes is money and a good, honest dealer.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I really like that fact that we can get better and different sound by using old vacuum tubes. It's like preserving history in some ways.

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

12au7s haven't shot into the stratosphere like a lot of the tubes audio gear uses - 12AX7s, GZ-34s, 7308s, EL-34s, 6550s, KT-88s, 300Bs - if you're patient you can occasionally unearth some goodies that don't add up to a house payment, but they're few and far between. The Amperex tubes showed up sold through a number of Philips controlled brands, and also labeled for companies like EICO - those tend to sell for less than the Amperex tubes with the neat logo.

11. Paul@Z-axis

Paul@Z-axis New Member

Hi Steve, are you still using these tubes in your LSX2? I'm hunting out options for mine so will track some down, sounds like that make Masa's pre sing!

12. Steve Hoffman

Still using a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy ECC82's, yes. In the gentle circuit of the Concert Fidelity preamp the pair of Bugle Boys should last forever.

13. Paul@Z-axis

Paul@Z-axis New Member

Thanks, will hunt some down..

14. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

I just rolled in a pair of Beckman/Amperex 7316 tubes (according to Brent Jesse, one of the best 12AU7 type tubes ever!). Can't believe that they go for $400 for a matched pair now...crazy.

Fantastic sound through all of the Concert Fidelity gear, no doubt about it. Clear like spring water...

I wonder if our host is still using these electronics?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  15. Steve Hoffman

I'm using the line stage in my other room, yes, with Bugle Boy ECC82's in it, of course.

16. chelseadave

chelseadave Active Member

Hi Steve. I am very interested in the Concert Fidelity CF080LSX2 preamplifier and I have at the moment A Shindo Labs Vonnegut-Romanee Pre. Do you know the fundamental differences between the two. Cheers.

17. chelseadave

18. chelseadave

I have just bought the Concert Fidelity CF080LSX2 Line Preamp and have installed Mazda 12AU7 tubes.
    Will now experiment with footers and cables. It sounds superb.

19. Steve Hoffman

Have fun with it.

20. chelseadave

The Concert Fidelity dealer here in England has phoned me up raving about some new Tubes he installed in his Pre Amp. He had Mazda 12au7's but replaced them with Mallards Ecc186's and said they blew the Mazda's away.
    I have ordered a pair (£180 a pair) to replace my Mullard 12au7's and cannot wait to try them in mine.

21. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

While much of tube rolling has to do with matching specific components and the specific taste of the listener, I have generally found that the Holland Bugle Boy 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes seem to be as universal as possible--I haven't seen a situation where it was not at least a nice sounding choice.

22. Russ Adam Bodner

Russ Adam Bodner Member

I’ve been running Bugle Boys in my LSX2.

I recently purchased the new Concert Fidelity ZL200FX monobloc amplifiers and the XHP7 headphone amplifier.

I am loving them!

23. Russ Adam Bodner

Russ Adam Bodner Member

Steve,
    Wondered your opinion on the CF ZL200FX AMPS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.