Concert for George DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tyler, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

I missed this during it's theatrical run, I don't think it ever came to Hawaii.

The DVD sounds and looks great. "Isn't it a pity" is reason enough to pick up this DVD. It's packaged in a cardboard digipak with a slipcase. One disc is the complete concert, the other disc is the theatrical version and bonus materials.

I was moved to tears while watching it. Seeing that huge band play "All things must pass" was incredible.

During "My Sweet Lord" Andy Fairweather-Low is playing what looks like George's famous guitar "Rocky". Was it the actual guitar, or a reproduction?

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I felt like such a sissy but I was too and so was my girlfriend. It really hit me during Something.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

What's the sound like, guys? Is there a DTS track?

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The mix is excellent. I've only listened to the DTS tracks so far.

5. Tyler

I never thought about this until I watched the DVD yesterday. Right before Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty play "Handle with care" someone yells "Where's Bob?". Good question indeed, why didn't Mr. Zimmerman participate in the concert? They've been friends for years and were bandmates in the Traveling Wilburys.

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Dylan had announced a couple of weeks earlier (at an NYC concert) that he'd be unable to participate in the Harrison tribute. Obviously he had his reasons.

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Did anyone else notice Tom Hanks filling in for John Cleese?

8. Tyler

Yeah! I thought I may have been seeing things.

9. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I have enjoyed what I have seen so far. Is Clapton playing George's old Strat?

10. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Re: Re: Concert for George DVD

My wife and I both cried when George died, so it'll probably happen again when we watch this DVD. Mine just posted from Deep Discount, so I'm hopeful for the weekend viewing.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Great concert, I love the performances and sound.

Buyer Beware!! There is some weird encoding used on this DVD. If you have a progressive-scan DVD and digital TV, watch out. This was probably shot on PAL video and transfered to NTSC video and they put on 24fps film to telecine. The result can be pretty crazy motion artifacts with most digital set-ups. Anyone have this problem?

12. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I asked this in another thread and didnt get an answer, let's try here. Does the movie portion of this have a straight PCM track? Thank you all..

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I watched the film version tonight and really enjoyed it. Everybody who put toghether this concert and participated deserves a lot thanks for a job well done.

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'm finally caught up on all the Beatle product from last week. Definitely the best thing I saw this weekend was The Concert For George. Lots to get through with this one, it took us two nights to watch the whole thing. Ran the edited theatrical version Saturday, and the complete concert Sunday. Which is better? Well, that depends on how you react to Indian music. The theatrical version is definitely geared towards the normal western music audience. Only a few short excerpts from the Shankar piece are presented, the most fascinating of which shows Eric Clapton playing his acoustic guitar like an indian sitar, which I'd never heard anyone do before. (Anoushka Shankar is pretty fascinating herself, but that's another thing altogether!). The Jeff Lynne sung "The Inner Light" is done quite well too. Personally, I can sit down and enjoy an hour of well done Indian music, and I enjoyed the Shankar piece, so the complete concert gets the nod from me. The show flows better in its complete form as well, the theatrical cut jumps from point to point, which is kind of odd to have Ringo onstage, then off, then back on again. Plus, the theatrical cut has some songs interrupted for interviews, and the music is good enough that you'll want to hear all of it.

I'm not much of an Eric Clapton fan, but I must say, he's great here, his playing and singing are superb throughout. The band starts out big, and just gets bigger and bigger throughout. By the end, there are literally four drummers up there, and scores of guitarists. "Wah Wah" literally rattles the walls. (The only thing that made me a bit uncomfortable was seeing Billy Preston playing such a prominent roll. His performance is flawless, but considering his recent troubles with the law, I found it hard to concentrate on what he was doing onstage. I'm glad everyone seems to be forgiving and helping him get his life back together, and I did my best to do the same while watching the show). Joe Brown's ukelele ending "I'll See You In My Dreams" ends the show on a melancholy, but upbeat note, and I had the damn song in my head all night long afterwards.

Oh, that and a couple of Monty Python bits, but I must say though, that as much of a fan as I am, I can now truly say that I've seen more of Eric Idle than I've ever wanted to! ;-]

15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I just received the "Concert for George" DVD today for my birthday. I saw the theatrical version in the theatre so I was excited to hear the DVD would also include the complete show. IT IS EXCELLENT!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.