Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Mazzy, I'm so sick of missing out on that I can't tell ya...
    they're always very low in number made. Even when Dylan did the in-store
    promotions for "Tempest" there were only 75 made for the entire U.S. "Shadows..."
    they made maybe 100. I can't really remember any ex-Beatle actually offering TP's.
    Dhani last solo LP he had a low number available in a bundle deal, missed that too.
    Acetates are even better! :biglaugh:

edenofflowers likes this.
  2. Ha. I probably would have paid the extra $100 for the test pressings but I didn’t even see that option when I Preeordered the deluxe.

I wrote here earlier that I thought the listing of 1000 copies was an error and I was correct in the end .

Oh well.

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Me.

Maranatha5585 and forthlin like this.
  4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

But is there any evidence of this?

Harrison told Billboard in 1999 he planned to release a "boxed set of old demos, outtakes, and unreleased stuff," and at the time of "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love" he said, "I hope someone does this to all my crap demos when I'm dead, making them into hit songs." He included unreleased bonus tracks on the All Things Must Pass reissue before he died, and his estate has put unreleased bonus tracks (just not very many) on most of his other albums.

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

It really is still 1000 - just 15 of those will have the four (4) extra white label TP's.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Yes. But when listed separately each listing said 1000 which was an error.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Have not had time to go through this thread. Unless I’m misunderstanding, the box is the same content on four different media, with no new extra audio or visual material (over the old deluxe blu-ray set). Is that right?

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I have no idea what is DEEP in the Harrison vault -- and neither does anyone else outside of Dhani, Olivia, Giles, Jeff Lynne and maybe Ken Scott -- but if you just took all the officially released rarities that didn't make it onto the recent reissue CDs, you'd have a great multi-disc set. I'm talking stuff like "Mo," "Horse To The Water" (both versions), the two Songs of George Harrison EPs, "Ride Rajbun," "Save The World" (remix), the SNL performances, the iTunes-only bonus tracks, the DVD-only bonus tracks (like the "Sue Me Sue You Blues" demo and the clean "Miss O'Dell") -- etc. etc. etc. There's a lot of this stuff, more than you might realize.

As for the unreleased archives, we already know there's enough high-quality material to do a proper Super Deluxe of All Things Must Pass. A whole disc of the Spector demo tape, 2-3 discs of the raw sessions, etc. Olivia has taunted us several times with snippets ("Fear of Flying" demo, live "Congratulations" demo, "Whistling Uke"), sometimes even praising a demo in the liner notes of a CD where it does NOT appear! (That would be the "So Sad" or "Simply Shady" demo from 1972 -- I think -- described by Olivia in the Dark Horse CD liners.) George himself said he had "three albums worth" of new songs he was working on in his final years -- and when Brainwashed came out, at least a couple of the tracks were poached from his proposed outtakes box ("Run So Far" and "Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" in particular). "Valentine" was considered good enough (and finished enough) to preview for Timothy White. Also, if you go back through those Billboard interviews of the 1990s (my personal Dead Sea Scrolls), you'll see that George had started other projects (like a Ry Cooder-influenced album in 1991 or 1992) that got sidetracked by this, that or the other. (Specifically, the Beatles reunion, the Denis O'Dell lawsuit, and his cancer diagnosis.) We have anecdotal evidence that George recorded constantly, when not gardening, and often rolled tape whilst jamming with celebrity friends. And with the leaked covers of "Fear Of Flying" and "Abandoned Love" and re-workings of his own songs ("This Guitar" and others) we've heard, it's not hard to believe he left behind tapes of George Formby, Cab Calloway and/or Dylan (and maybe Rutles!) covers.

That's not even getting into live stuff, like both complete Bangladesh shows, something cobbled together from 1974, and others.

So yeah, I'm a big believer in a deep and rewarding Harrison vault. I think the main "problem" -- and I hesitate to call it that -- is that Olivia and Dhani are very protective of it, and Dhani either wants to oversee it all and doesn't have time, or feels obligated to oversee it and doesn't really want to. If they were to hire an outside curator -- a fan who knows what to look for -- they could put out a half-dozen high quality archival releases, fill in the major gaps in the George Harrison "puzzle," and close up shop in less than a decade knowing that they did George proud.

EDIT: Here's a longer, more detailed post of mine that quotes heavily from the Billboard articles:

Why wasn't there a post-Beatles Anthology George Harrison album?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, isn't that a coincidence...when the Blu-ray is out of print, and prices through the roof, all I could read about on this board were how superior the Blu-ray was. Now that it's gonna be available again for a sensible price...out comes the confetti for the DVD. Welcome to the Hoffman Board of Review...:shrug:

(Stay tuned for the weekly, "the only version to get is the out-of-print-version of whatever I already have a copy of, and you can't find a used one for less than a bar of platinum")

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is this stuff out of print now?
    I have no idea.

11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

81531 likes this.
  12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Just was about to post the same! It’s twice that price on Amazon France.

hodgo likes this.
  13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Exactly! over on Amazon.com it's $125 USD, I fully expect it to be around £130 - £140 on Amazon UK. These are ridiculous prices, methinks the reason for this is because it's one of the Fabs they believe they can gouge the fans......

Not in Yorkshire they can't :laugh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I go with the 2CD + 2 Blu-Ray edition.
    I'm pissed off that vinyl editions are always so damm pricy these days.

ted321 and hodgo like this.
  15. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

A way better price than before, but still too expensive.
    I mean it's ONE concert spread on 4 discs with useless etchings...
    If I was to set a price I'd take no more than 35 Euro.

vitorbastos123, ted321 and hodgo like this.
  16. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Because George wanted them on it.

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

George is dead, so you can't fire him.

It is likely that George dictated exactly what he wanted done with his vault material. Olivia and Dhani are likely just following George's wishes, which we really have no idea about.

18. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

It's a nasty game made by companies to make profit. But on a long term it doesn't really help because fans like me and many others are kinda losing interest in new releases as they're mostly just re-releases of old stuff.
    One day (maybe in 50-100 years) people won't care as much about demos or unreleased material of artists from our time because they may not be related to them as much as we are. There are still people interested in Mozart and Beethoven but does the generation under 50 years care a lot about his music? Probably not that much.
    Why don't they just release the stuff that fans want to hear/see and take the money. If this would happen, fans would be probably way more interested in buying new releases because they feature something new and not just "something". A release with like two or three bonus tracks (even if they were unreleased) is still poor. But this is also depending from artist to artist. For example: The Beatles - There is a lot of non-studio-album material officially available out there. Of course there is probably more in the vaults but I'm thankful for Anthology I-III,
    and the BBC sessions. The only things missing are: Let It Be (with bonus footage on Blu-Ray), The White Album demos and the 4k-Version of Shea on Blu-Ray and maybe another concert or a box set with all the footage that is available of them performing live.

Then take a look at Queen: Could have more 70s live albums released but there are just a few rare songs or demos etc. officially available. Luckily the internet was invented and there is a good amount of stuff to listen to. What's missing are you asking? All the unreleased songs from the late 80s / early 90s which are really good even though they haven't been finished. But the material used on "Made In Heaven" was also unfinished and Brian, Roger & John completed it.

I like it when the sound/image quality of an album/movie etc. has been improved but it's still making money with old material.

Or what I'm trying to say in a shorter version: I WANT IT ALL - I WANT IT NOW and companies are getting more & faster money because more fans will be pleased with unreleased material.

19. slane

slane Forum Resident

For anyone who uses Qobuz...

George's Apple Years box is currently available for 99p, surely a mistake so grab it while you can.

John's Gimme Some Truth box is also 99p, and the Sgt Pepper hi-res remix is 49p.

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Not where I'm looking, it isn't.

21. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up! Only visible in the UK store, and had to fool them into thinking I'm from the UK, but there it was. I did this so I could at last obtain the non-Signature Box cuts from the Gimme Some Truth box in hi-res ('Hound Dog' live, 'Here We Go Again', etc.).

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm seeing the Lennon and Harrison sets but when I click on Sgt Pepper it still shows 15.99 for the hi res.

23. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks, was missing the Apple Years box in my collection. Great to have it in 24/96!

24. @chacha told me this about the DVD years ago when the blu ray came out. I guess the topic never came up here.

25. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

Pepper has been corrected, but you can still buy Gimme Some Truth, GH Apple Years, Otis live at the whiskey, Wings - Venus and Mars, REM complete albums, Velvet Underground 45th anniversary edition, Beach Boys 1967, Bob Marley - Stir it up (Not hi-res) for silly prices. Also available Lennon Signature box (24-bit - 44.1KHz) and Rolling Stones Mono Box cheap.

Lewisboogie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.