CONDOR - TV Series - must watch if you liked Rubicon, etc

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scott222C, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Based on the novel "Six Days of the Condor" by James Grady and the best "spy" TV series I have seen for a long time, including Homeland, Rubicon, etc

Great watch so far, watched 7 episodes from 10 in the first season.

Shawn likes this.
  2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I saw this on the tv guide of my set top box and wondered if it had anything to do with the book/movie adaption. I'll check it out when I get the chance.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, I did like Rubicon quite a bit, and Three Days of the Condor was one of my favorite films of the 1970s. I'll have to check this out.

jbmcb likes this.
  4. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

I loved "Rubicon" and was really sad when it had been cancelled back then but to be honest I was disappointed in how "Condor" turned out. I've seen the film a few times and so I had my expectations. I also really liked Leem Lubany, the actress who plays Gabrielle Joubert. She was so great in the Palestinian film "Omar". "Condor" started out exciting but towards the end it didn't feel plausible anymore but very rushed and kind of stupid.

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Three Days of the Condor is one of my favorite films of the 70's so I was a tad hesitant to watch this series. I watched the Pilot last night and just couldn't stop so I sat through the first 6 episodes and loved every second of those. The show has good rhythm, a solid cast, and consistant writing and directing. I was pleasantly surprised by William Hurt's and Brendan Fraser's performances. I'm also a huge Kristoffer Polaha fan and he's perfect in the role or Sam Barber.

Shawn likes this.
  6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’m really loving this show. I had some issues with the Pilot, where as a fan of the film it’s hard not to compare and be out off with several choices made for this adaptation. However, following that the show comes into it’s own nicely and is quite compelling. My one critique would be their tendency to have things play out in an obvious way, not always, but enough that it’s mildly irksome. But it’s still enjoyable nonetheless, with a solid cast and tight direction.

Simon A likes this.
  7. Vanguardsman

Vanguardsman Forum Resident

Seems to me that they had fun making this series. It shows. And no digital effects!

Simon A likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

For those still scouring the thread looking for what channel/platform it aired, according to the wiki entry, it originally ran on something called Audience (a, "channel"?) owned by AT&T. Apparently it was exclusive through Direc TV, then AT&T's U-verse. Then with its' second season, on C-More, a Nordic service also known as Canal+, and the Irish RTE2. It's been optioned to run here this year on the cable premium channel EPIX in the U.S.

Far too many good programs on television platforms most people aren't familiar with, not to at least give us a heads-up on where we can find these gems when recommending them? Can't call it a "must-watch", if you won't tell us where we must watch it.

9. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

The show was a nice ride - but thought they hurried to much on the ending.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet it DID have digital VFX, but you didn't see them. Sometimes they're really subtle, like changing license tags, changing billboards, obscuring real phone numbers, deleting skid marks on a street, adding bullet ricochets, things like that. Its not all explosions and flying saucers. IMDB lists 59 people on the VFX crew -- but that means they did their job extremely well if you never saw the seams that held the magic together.

Simon A likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've always been fascinated with the sorts of shows who spend a lot of their FX budgets just making it easier to fake "reality". I've been aware of "green screen shows" since the Sci-Fi series Sanctuary with Amanda Tapping, in the 'aughts.

I understand there are just some sets you just can't produce ergonomically and within-budget. But starting from the idea that all you need is one soundstage and a clever scene-shooting schedule to put it off, really changes the game.

12. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

For people in the UK, this is on Sky/Now.
    Wasn't aware of it until now, will give it a go.

13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The show is set in and around Washington D.C., but filmed in Canada, VFX to the rescue!

14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Just started watching this on EPIX...holy cow it's fantastic.

Two episodes in and I'm totally hooked.

Simon A likes this.
  15. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

It's a good spy thriller show, but season 2 seemed to drag on.
    Seems like it's been renewed for season 3, but details aren't clear.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Finished S1 and loved it...then watched 3 Days of the Condor. The movie is quite good, but I enjoyed the show more. What I loved is that they pulled some of the best dialog from the film (and I'm guessing the original novel) and used it on the show.

Looking forward to S2 but it looks like it's not on EPIX yet.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Season 2 started on EPIX...the first two episodes are up and I got to the first one; to say I'm hooked is an understatement!

18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Curveboy likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Will have to check it out.

20. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

this look interesting , i vaguely remember seeing some eps some years back but no firm recollection

gonna check it out

21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Wrapped up Season 2 and I'll say this is probably my second favorite show currently on TV (just behind Titans.)

Hoping S3 is in the pipeline!

Simon A likes this.
  22. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Season 1 was stunning. And then along came S2. Oh dear, its the proverbial chalk and Roquefort. I couldn't watch it. Awful.
    The movie is outstanding and I got it on 4k bluray for christmas. Its Highly recommended on 4k blu ray.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The people I know who are into the show all agreed S2 was better than S1

24. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I really enjoy Condor and hope there's another season.

rikki nadir and Curveboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.