Connecting a Sonos Connect to a DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally getting around to setting up my Sonos Connect, but realizing that I might not have the right cables since I'm using a different amp (PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated) than I originally planned.

I have three options, so looking for advice on which option is likely to yield the best results and what/how I will need to connect...
    1. Connect the Sonos to a Music Streamer II DAC. I'm not sure if this is viable unless I buy some different cables. The MusicStreamer II has an Asynchronous USB, but the Sonos doesn't have a USB output.
    2. Connect the Sonos to a AudioEngine D1 DAC. This looks pretty easy and doable with what I have. Only, it's probably the lowest end of the 3 DAC's I could connect to AND I was planning to give it to a buddy of mine.
    3. Connect the Sonos to my Integra BlueRay player. I suspect this would have the highest quality DAC, but have no idea. I also have no idea how to go about doing this or how this would allow me to switch between listening to CD's and playing the Sonos.
    Which option should I go with for the best sound? If #1 or #3, let me know how you think I should connect the components.

2. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

The blue ray player likely has an input on the back for digital inputs -- an optical cable or a coax cable, or both. As does the Sonos. I'd probably go with optical.

The blue ray player should have a menu from which you can pick an input, once a digital cable is attached at the back.

3. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I see you have 30.3 Integra. I say bypass the Sonos comptely and plug the 30.3 into your network. It will get a direct stream from your DLNA server and save steps and connections.

4. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Hi Brian,
    Assuming you want to preserve and extend an existing Sonos ecosystem by connecting the integrated amp and use the Sonos Connect as a DAC & transport, you could simply go the analog out route from the Sonos Connect, using a set of RCA ended interconnects no?

5. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was assuming that any of these other 3 DAC's would be better than what's onboard the Sonos, which is why I was asking about these other options.

6. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Ok I misunderstood the heart of your question. I was assuming it was a question about how to connect the Sonos box as the title suggests. I clearly see now that your questions is really one about the quality of the Sonos Connect DAC vs the other 3 options. Perhaps someone here can comment with authority on the DAC quality of your 3 options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.