Connecting An Oppo BDP 103 To A DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

I am considering getting an Oppo BDP 103 and connecting it to my Cambridge Audio 840 CDP by optical cable, so that I can get the benefit of the high quality DAC of the 840. Right now, I have a cheap Samsung bluray player connected to the 840. One of the reasons, I am getting the upgrade is that the Oppo offers SACD and DVD Audio playback.

If I am not mistaken, the Oppo converts DSD to PCM during SACD playback. I understand that my DAC (or any other DAC) will not process DSD information. However, if the DSD information is converted to PCM, would the DAC on my CA 840 (or any other DAC) receive and process the information, once it is converted to PCM?

In other words, can I connect a universal player that converts DSD information to PCM to a high quality DAC and get high quality (176/24) playback from SACDs?

Please excuse my ignorance, if I used incorrect terminology.

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

I think you have a couple of choices here.

1.........Instead of buying an OPPO BDP 103.........buy an OPPO BDP 105D and you have covered EVERYTHING!!!.......and I mean......EVERYTHING!!!!!

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Overview.aspx

OPPO 105D has a better DAC (Sabre 32) and extra attention paid to analog audio output and thus clearly outperforms the OPPO 103D hence the extra $$$.

or 2...........If you want to retain the Wolfson DAC sound of Cambridge buy a Cambridge 752BD and cover (almost) everything!!

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/azur-752bd

Either way would mean no longer needing/using your '840 but should NOT be a sonically backwards step at all.

It's highly likely you will PREFER the sound of EITHER option over your '840 AND you gain the benefits of multi format playback.

Not sure about the Cambridge but the OPPO 105D sends out DSD via HDMI and Analog.

They are BOTH great contenders.........it all just depends on your feature requirements and which sonic presentation does it for you.

Cheers,

John

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

rstamberg and bru87tr like this.
  4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

No, because the S/PDIF outputs on the Oppo will not output any signal during SACD playback, for copyprotection reasons. The HDMI output will however provide DSD or 24/88 PCM signals.

The only way to use that 24/88 signal with your DAC is to get a HDMI de-embedder (a small $20-100 box with HDMI input and S/PDIF output). It's not an operation out of the manual though, so you'll need to get information first about which combinations of player and de-embedder will work.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    SamS likes this.
  5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I was interested in this Azur player cause it uses Wolfson DAC's. Keep in mind though, SACD is available in PCM form only on any outputs.

rstamberg likes this.
  6. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

The other day I was listening to the new Mofi SACD of Weezer's first album on my 105D and thought it sounded really harsh. So much so that after a few tracks I checked the settings and it was set to convert DSD>PCM>analogue and I immediately changed it to DSD>analogue and it was like night and day. I'm not saying the PCM DAC is bad in the 105D, I use it all the time for my DVD-A, CDs, and I even run my Squeezebox Touch into the coax input but I am not impressed the DSD>PCM. Maybe it was just that disc, but it sounded terrible. I think you'd be better off going DSD>analogue.

Linger63 likes this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You can also get the DSD stream off an SACD disc via HDMI to a receiver.

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

"The 752BD is a true universal player with support for high-resolution audio formats including DVD-Audio and SACD. Because of the Azur’s internal upconversion to 192 kilohertz for all audio signals, SACD is available in PCM form only, with no option for direct DSD playback regardless of which output you use."

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-752bd-3d-blu-ray-player

9. Brother_Rael

Suggest you go to page 28 subsection 4, the paragraph on DSD of the Cambridge's user manual. Or, come round and use my 752BD, select the appropriate setting, put on a DSD disc, watch the display on my amp say DSD, then sit back and enjoy.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200995791-User-Manuals

Maybe avoid that site you linked in future, its info appears unreliable. The 752 will send the DSD signal via HDMI. Done deal.

bru87tr likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The below is direct from the CA 752BD manual.

DSD – SACD DSD data is output over HDMI without any conversion. For
    decoding by an external AV receiver capable of receiving DSD (HDMI 1.2a or higher inputs are required and the receiver must actually include support for DSD as it is not a mandatory requirement of the HDMI spec).

Bill

bru87tr and Brother_Rael like this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If the S&V reviewer had just read the 752BD's manual he would have known that DSD can be output over HDMI to a DSD capable processor ;). That's pretty shoddy work IMO.

Bill

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Well, I thought it was weird myself, otherwise what would be the point of HDMI ?

I also would not have thought S&V reviewing a high end player would get that wrong.

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

How do you like the player ? I was interested in this one or the Oppo 105.

I really like the looks of the CA and also like it uses Wolfson DAC.

14. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Yeah that's what I do too.

I go through HDMI for M/C DSD though.

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I guarantee you that Brother will say it sounds great.
    Brother would also guarantee you that I would say the OPPO sounds great.

You really do need to research ALL the features each offers......... and LISTEN to BOTH....

FWIW there are STILL a few OTHER contenders out there like NAD, DENON and MARANTZ for starters!!

Lastly........It's NOT a chore.........have FUN auditioning!!!!

Cheers,

16. Brother_Rael

Hi, that was one of my reasons for getting it! I already had the AVI Lab Series CD player which had twin WM8740s in it and I love the sound of that. The 752 pays all the same formats as the 105 and it just differs in a few areas.

Here's a good review from AudioEnz in New Zealand:-

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2013/10/cambridge-audio-azur-752bd/

Have to say I love mine. I bought it just before Christmas, and from the build, the fast loading times, the excellent sound and picture, it's been a sound investment.

All I can say is I'm delighted with it, but you should probably try it out on demo if you can and see how you go.

17. Brother_Rael

Haha, yip, on the money!

rstamberg and Linger63 like this.
  18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

True, but I would still like to hear is opinion if that is ok with you. :)

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Thanks for the opinion!

It already has one thing going for it for me, Wolfson DACs. It is definitely on my short list and thanks for the link on the review.

I also like the looks of it over the Oppo 105. I actually like the looks of the Oppo 103 over the 105 also.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think if you are looking at the Oppo 103, 105 and CA 752BD it would be good to see what features are important as well. I would say the 105 has more features than the 752BD has but if you have no need for those features then it doesn't matter. Looks are also important to me as well and I prefer the looks of the 105. I think between the 103, 105 and 752BD you can't go wrong as all three are excellent players :).

Bill

21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I don't hate the 105 looks, it is a decent looking player. The brushed aluminum looks so much nicer.

22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Have you seen the silver OPPO?

bru87tr likes this.
  23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Of course mate.........why wouldn't it be??

Just trying to help.

bru87tr likes this.
  24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

oh yes and If I were to buy one it would be that color. :) Reading my mind ?

They will have it in stock soon. Crutchfield has it in stock but would rather buy durect from Oppo.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You could give Oppo a call and see if they have any refurbished silver 105s or 105Ds. Worth a shot :).

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.