Connection the RCA to XRL produces limitation in wave of audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lexfer, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Searching upgrading audio in my transferences of vinyl I resolved to change my old cables RCA x RCA and doing the connection from my amplifier to the audio card by means of a cable RCA - XRL. Quality got better pretty principally in the problem of noise but the wave that is observed in the program appears cut out or limited and transferences are heard weak in the zone of bass notes.

[​IMG]

I suppose that a bad manufacturing of the cables is a problem of phase or saturation due to such time, here images.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If it is not problem of cables.. ¿Any solutions?

Thanks and excuses for my Englishman.

2. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Your wave forms are only visual guides
    The cables look cheap, XLR must be Neutriks, RCA too if possible
    Its not a balanced connection, its single
    Strap pin 1 to pin 3, it might help
    Englishmen always need excuses...

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Vidiot and gloomrider like this.
  4. Lexfer

As much the cable like the connector xrl are PROEL check mark but if I succeed in doing the connection correctly and results are worthwhile I will make all the effort to follow his recommendation, and Rolo46 I am not a Englishman, I am Colombian but they already are 2 people that for the translation believe that I am a Englishman and truth I do not know because.:righton:

After the fashion of the images I understand that of both manners the result is an unbalanced connection that is the one that I need, in this case the person that manufactured the cables tells me that did all the same to the example No 1 it is saying without bridge in the XRL but joining 2 of the 3 lines in the shield of the RCA, I verified it at home and effectively they are that way:

[​IMG]

The error that I notice is perhaps than the connection in the XRL the colors of the lines do not coincide exactly with the pins, the red cable if correctly is in the pin 2 but other two are exchanged and I would like to be known that problem exists when having connected that way.

To both Thank You For help.

5. Lexfer

Hummm...EDIT. Checking everything well apparently this correct, colors and the pins of XRL are connected of the following way.

-Pin 1 - mesh or land -
    -Pin 2 - (+) Red -
    -Pin 3 - (-) Black -

He confuses me that in the reference picture the mesh or the land - Pin 1 - appears from black color and the blue-colored minus sign 3 -.

[​IMG]

6. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Seeing your new picture, the cables appear to be correctly made. You say the RCA "tip" is wired to pin 2 and the RCA "sleeve" to the other two pins so it should work. When you are recording have you set the M-Audio inputs to "Line" and optionally turned off the 48V power on rear switch?

If you can get some adapters like this you can use any standard interconnect:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-GPR101-Inch-Adaptor/dp/B000068O3S

By the way converting an unbalanced RCA to a balanced XLR connector in this way will not improve noise. Noise can only be cancelled if both ends of the connection are balanced.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

8. Lexfer

I believe that this image summarizes everything and confirm that cables are correct and the configuration of the M audio is also the correct.

[​IMG]

Until now my present-day connection is her following one, works well and the readings of the wave of audio in the program the adobe are honest and without clippings but it supposed any improvement in general changing over to XRL.

[​IMG]

On noise believe me that if you are younger with the XRL, I am preparing a sample that already I will be showing them results although I can be confused with the own sound of seriously ill that with this connection they are very weak and for that reason less hummm perhaps is noticeable...A lot more neat if but with less force and blow in seriously ill.

Does it mean that he saturates too much and can't he adjust the earning level?..Odd also your case but if the note of the change of quality would take as much in noise as in quality of sound between the two methods.

Thank you for the recommendation but as he sees it is her practically the same one that I take until now except that mus connection takes two adapters that in case of going on with them I will make some new cables with direct connection, same as the one that recommends me in your link.

9. Lexfer

Well, after a lot of proofs with the cable XRL this works in a 75 % because to sorrow that the recording is more neat and clean also with noise hummm walks off with good part of the serious frequencies. Then for now solo the is still pending to revert to my ancient configuration RCA x RCA but with new cables and following your recommendations. Thanks.

c-eling likes this.
  10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Lexfer likes this.
  11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Let me amend what I said earlier: you may experience less noise using your new configuration but it's not due to the XLR having been introduced. The shielded cable you had made may have better environmental noise rejection than your original cable plus adapters. You could ask your supplier to build a pair of shielded cables with RCA at one end and a TS plug at the other.

Lexfer likes this.
  12. Lexfer

Exactly, that I wanted saying in my previous message..The cable should be RCA x TS, direct, without adapters. Solo for the benefit of a more light noise is worth the grief the change, thank you for the explanation.

13. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

That particular interface has 3 different types of inputs. When you use an XLR cable, you end up in the mic input which has a built-in preamp with about 40 dB of gain, which is why your waveforms are clipped. When you use a 1/4" cable in the front, you can choose between instrument or line using a pushbutton. This primarily affects the input impedance, and for hifi use, you want the button set to line. You can also use a 1/4" cable in the rear inputs. Those probably have the cleanest signal with no added gain. All of this info is in the manual on page 13. http://www.lclark.edu/live/files/14551-maudio-fast-track-pro-manual

14. Lexfer

Very interesting, we know because the cut-out, ultimately we would say that the XLR connections in this particular case are not recommended. With new cables and connection with TRS and TS hare the relevant tests in both the front and back and of course a more attentive reading the manual, thank you for that. I will be reporting back the results.

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Poor guy; just joined the forum and gets insulted twice!

16. Lexfer

En caso tal ya sabemos que tarados y subnormales existen en cualquier parte del mundo y si le parece inteligente entonces les devuelvo los insultos en español, sentirán lo mismo que yo...nada. Su solidaridad de nada me sirve si no me dice como o de que manera me insultaron, asi que guárdesela... no la necesito. Thank You.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It was a joke based on Scots and English rivalries. I appreciate the finer points of humour might not translate however....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.