Consensus on Barry Lyndon Criterion?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been looking forward to this release most of all this year. My favorite Kubrick film. So far I give the packaging an A- (disappointed in the non-technical parts of the essay which plods along like a bad parody of the film).

The extra features are probably not relevatory but fill an entire second disc and are mostly quality recent material.

The 5.1 sound remaster is unquestionably better than the mono to me and the difference is spectacular even with headphones. I usually select the original mono track on Criterion releases but they did a great job adding an astounding degree of sonic atmosphere to the most atmospheric film of the century.

The film always looked great but I need more time to assess it. I do think It's probably fair to say it's a clear improvement but I need to make some more comparisons.

2. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I haven't gotten it yet, but it's on my list. Probably in November at the next B&N sale. It's worth noting that the previous blu-ray was presented in a 1.78: 1 aspect ratio, which while it fills up your tv screen, is a compromised image as the film was originally screened theatrically in a 1.66: 1 ratio. This new Criterion edition uses the 1.66: 1 which was only available on DVD before this release. So, if only for that, I think it's worth checking out.

3. White_Noise

The balcony scene looks quite wonderful. The film after the intermission almost seems like a better transfer but I'm tired. The close-ups during the height of his wealth look considerably clearer.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Mine's being shipped.

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

All reviews that I have read say that it is a winner.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When we saw Barry Lyndon in America in the 1970s, it was projected in 1.85. The theaters didn't know from 1.66. I think the framing is fairly well-balanced and doesn't look bad in 1.66, 1.78, or 1.85. In truth, the difference between the three is subtle (7%).

bobbyhol and budwhite like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mine arrived at my post office this morning...4 hours after my carrier left ! :cussing:

8. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

9. ...on my Criterion short list. Will pick it up soon! (Next sale at Barnes & Noble)

White_Noise likes this.
  10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

He'd be a handful as an employer, though. Have you ever seen 'S is For Stanley'?

jwoverho likes this.
  11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Same here. I missed this years Criterion Sale. If they do one in the winter, I'm on this and STRANGELOVE and a few others.

I'm ashamed to say I have not. It's on my list of stuff to get to. I have no doubt he was demanding.

Grunge Master and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  12. I saw it but passed on it. (3 month old in the house now!). But I'll play some catch up if they do it again in 2017 at Barnes... "Barry" and "Rebecca" are waiting for me.

White_Noise and Jason Manley like this.
  13. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Best transfer yet, and I’ve seen most or all of them. Strongly recommended.

14. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I watched it yesterday. I've seen it a bunch of times. I'm seriously wondering if it's the greatest film of all time.

15. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

One of my all-time top five, for sure.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. White_Noise

The Strangelove release was wonderfully done, especially packaging and the features. I also grabbed The Killing, which was the last Kubrick film I saw from his filmography, but I liked it more than I expected. It's not like anything he's ever done afterward. It's one of my favorites now.

I haven't bought Paths of Glory on Criterion yet. It's my favorite WW1 film and my second favorite Kubrick film but I've seen it so many times...

Jason Manley likes this.
  17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Normally I'd be all over a "finally corrected" OAR release from a favorite director, but the fact is that I'm perfectly content with the 1:1.78 version in the Kubrick Blu-ray Collection release. The tiny difference between 1:1.66 and 1:1.78 is minuscule and I don't think it's all that important for me to upgrade this title.

I did a few comparisons to online screen shots and the tiny amount of head and foot room that would be added is simply not worth it to me. Should I ever stumble upon a great sale, maybe, but for now, my 1.78 version will so me just fine. It's well-mastered and looks great.

budwhite likes this.
  18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

How does it compare to the WB bluray?

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Finally watched my Criterion blu yesterday, as it has been sitting on the shelf for awhile. Hadn't seen the movie in at least five years, maybe more. Still really like it, and the special features on disc 2 were great. I particularly enjoyed the segment from the art expert going over the paintings that were possible sources of inspiration for many of the shots.

Spadeygrove, Gardo and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  20. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Anyone else think that Ryan O'Neal does serious damage to the film as a whole? I always wished they had cast someone - anyone - else in the lead. But I'm open to being persuaded otherwise. I think the film is visually stunning, and the other actors, especially the incandescent Patrick Magee, are superb. My local library has the 2017 DVD release. I think I'll order it.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  21. I’m watching my Criterion Blu for the second time tonight - watched it about 9 months ago when I first purchased it. Such a visually impressive film! As others have mentioned, the special features go into such depth describing the photography, lenses, etc. - you can genuinely tell the care that was taken when making the movie. Regarding Ryan O’Neal... I actually find his performance engaging. To me he plays the character with little outward emotion but lots of inward emotion. He tries to impress and act tough but you can tell in his eyes he is still frightened and a young man. He fits well for the character, I think. I am only 32 years old so I do not know much about O’Neal at the time of filming. Was he just an up and coming actor? A “one hit wonder” type actor? Who else could have filled the role at the time?

Edit... O’Neal’s undetermined accent throughout the film does bug me some though... English? Irish? American? Maybe it was done intentionally to lend a little more mystery.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  22. Agreed!

Gardo likes this.
  23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I love my criterion bluray. Watched it 4 times now. The movie just keeps getting better. The extras are amazing as well. This and Dr. Strangelove almost makes me forget Bull Durham.

White_Noise and Ghostworld like this.
  24. Is the Bull Durham that bad? I haven't picked it up yet.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Only seen it once, in a theater, on its' original release. The wife hasn't seen it yet. Had the Criterion in my hands during the last sale, but I had bigger fish to fry (buy). Maybe in the next blitz...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.