Considering getting a second cart for 45's, advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

9.5 mv on those Shure carts, is that about standard for DJ carts?
    My Orto S120 puts out that much as well, I think it may have been the cause of a channel blowout on my old VLPS-II Pre :laugh:

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Re: Shure M44 series carts:
    @McLover can probably answer this better than I can, but on the Shure site, it says the M44g is for tracking forces of 0.75-1.5 grams, while the M44-7 is for 1.5 to 3 grams.

3. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I see that now on the links. However isnt the lower tracking force usually better for vinyl longevity?

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Lots of compromises, variables, exceptions (I'm thinking tonearm shape and mass, for instance), but in broad, general terms, that's usually the thinking. In practice? Lots of pieces to the puzzle.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is, but not all arms track best at that light of weight, many broadcast arms tend to track best at medium forces a la -7. Remember for many years, that audiophile, AMI/Rowe and later on Rock-Ola jukeboxes, and AM and FM broadcasting used a lot of M 44 cartridges.

MLutthans likes this.
  6. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

The original M44G had a 0.6mil conical, and the current "DJ" version is a 0.7mil.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Shure has a spec table that shows how the outputs of all their carts compare. Some have very high output, that is common for the type of carts used by club DJs and such.

c-eling likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

One of my friends is a hip hop DJ and swears by the 44-7. I think it is a pretty common piece of DJ gear in that scene.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. colby2415

Yeah, makes sense. How would I know what weight my tonearm tracks at best? I have found very little information pertaining to my specific tonearm, so I can't really google it (tried already, barely any info).

10. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

11. colby2415

so based on what everyone said, im either gonna go for the m44-7 or m97xe

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

M97xE fine for LP discs, not for styrene 45 singles. However, the M35x can accept the N97xE stylus just fine.

389 Tripower and 33na3rd like this.
  13. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm finding that the N97xE stylus sounds better in the SC35C/M35x than it ever did in my M97xE .

McLover likes this.
  14. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

As you were considering some AT carts on the cheaper side -- the AT95e and the AT92 -- why not just go full cheap-out, and try AT's conical-needle CN5625AL cart? It still sells for around $25, buy an AT headshell to go with it for around $25, and you've got your 45 cart solution for about $50. I play 45s a lot, and I'm now on my 2nd CN5625AL cart in 3 years, and it always delivers the punchy sound I'm expecting from a 45. That said, I haven't tried any of the conical-needle Shure carts many posters previously discussed in this thread.

Cartridge: Amazon.com: Audio Technica CN5625AL .7 mil Conical Half-inch Standard Mount Cartridge: Radio Shack: Home Audio & Theater

Headshell: Amazon.com: Audio-Technica Universal Headshell (AT-HS1): Home Audio & Theater

15. colby2415

I was considering that headshell at first, but I Forgot that those headshells will not work for straight tonearms like mine. what's more is the one i need for my specific tonearm is a pain to find. I was thinking of grabbing that AT, but I want something that can function as a backup for my 2m red as well, and I am not sure how a cheap conical fares on a 33rpm LP.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

As do myself. A superior combination, and expands your options.

17. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

In my budget setup, the conical AT does very well on any of my 33rpm LPs, and sounds better than the AT95e elliptical I have mounted on a different headshell.

18. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

The Shure M3D/M7D is a fine cartridge (same cart, different body). An M3D plus a new JICO N3 stylis would only set you back about $100-$150 or so.

The Pickering NP/AC mentioned previously is another excellent option, and a bit cheaper. It sounds great mono strapped, but the Shure is the better stereo cartridge.

19. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Did you have to modify the 35 body to fit the N97XE stylus?
    Have to say I'm really enjoying the M35X. I'm using it for all records, not just 45's.

33na3rd likes this.
  20. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I did get one of the Paradox bodies for my SC35C. I think it's a worthwhile mod.
    So I did this to my Shure SC35C

I don't know if the N97xE will fit a stock SC35C/M35x without trimming. Maybe @McLover can help us out with that question?

I'm still surprised how much I like the SC35C/M35x. The ability to "stylus roll" with the Paradox mod is exiting & frightening at the same time.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The M35x normally will accept the N97xE stylus if. And vice versa.

33na3rd likes this.
  22. colby2415

So, in theory I could get the M35x, and when funds permit, I can just purchase the n97xe stylus and save a bit of money that way? Interesting. Would you still have to re-align the cart after swapping styli?

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I had to redo the overhang.

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And the M3D tracks at 3 grams, needs a high mass tonearm. The M7D needs even heavier tracking forces. And they're getting pricey.

25. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

You can buy an N-21-D replacement stylus from JICO. I'm not sure when they introduced it, but it looks to have been recently. The N-21-D stylus tracks a bit lighter than the N3 stylus. The N3 stylus in either body tracks at 3-5 grams. The original heavier tracking N7 stylus for the M7D hasn't been manufactured in decades; not sure why you'd bring that up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.