considering remastered Genesis Seconds Out

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member Thread Starter

Hackett and Burning Shed sites list a new remaster of the live Seconds Out lps

at the bottom of the track listing Burning Shed mentions '2009 remastering'

how were these on the cd live box?

did they butcher the release like the Nick Davis work on the original studio albums?

Hopefully if remastered Steve Hackett's guitars will be brought up in the mix

The original release was criminally weak on his guitar parts
    some going so far as to suggest he was mixed down on the news that he was leaving the band

anyway,

has anyone heard the new lp
    or have comments on the remastered Seconds Out versus the original release

thanks

2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I just got the remastered Seconds Out today. To my ears it sounds great. Steve's guitar is brought more forward in the mix than the original but not so much so that it is blatantly obvious. It doesn't say anywhere who mastered this version, just that it is 2009. Im guessing its the Nick Davis mix. In the dead wax it says, tm Miles, The Paradigm 1/2 speed process.

I haven't heard the Nick Davis Cd remixes. This is definitely louder than the original LP but not in a way that I don't want to turn it up. I would describe the bass as being better defined than the original. The bass pedals definitely have more detail and definition. The subtleties of Steve's guitar work is more obvious. I am quite happy with this version.

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight
    I was especially interested in hackett's guitar
    Glad to hear it is brought up in the mix

Which vendor did you buy it from?

Thanks

4. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I just finished listening to Suppers Ready. There are definitely Hackett guitar parts I have never heard before. SR is one of my favorite live albums of all time by one of my favorite bands with one of my favorite guitar players. This is a great listen. Things are certainly more forward but on vinyl it sounds nice.

On a side note. If you are at all interested in the Genesis Revisited II by Steve, I would highly recommend it. I absolutely love it. There is one or two vocal issues I would take exception with but overall I think it's great.

5. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

The 2009 CD mixes have DR values of DR10 for CD1 and DR11 for CD2.
    I haven't yet heard this new vinyl, but the CDs have more weight in the bass than previous CD or vinyl releases (that I've heard; including original CD, Definitive CD, original UK LP, original Japan LP).
    And yes, SH's guitar is more evident but not in a way that spoils the familiarity.

The dynamic range is a little compromised but I still consider it a good listen.

Has anyone ripped and analysed the DR readings of the new vinyl? Is it the same as the CD, or better?

6. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I love this new pressing, and all the remixed LP's for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.