Considering Wand Master or SME Series V tonearm upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pingles, Jan 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pingles

pingles Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve got an early production SL1200mk2 with some sentimental value and was thinking about upgrading the arm.

initially the Wand Master looked good to me but I got slightly nervous by the uni-pivot stability and then started investigating the SME Series V (which would have to be used not new).

Both look reasonable but not sure what to do. Anyone with experience have some advice?

2. pingles: I'm the original owner of a 1200 mkll. Full mod, with the SME 309. Definitely worth it. Would you have to upgrade your cartridge, also?

3. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski Forum Resident

Haven't heard many good things about the wand master but I've never heard one.

The SME is a good match for the SL1200 but the IV may be better value unless you specifically want adjustable VTA and silicon damping. I've got an SME IV on a PT Anni and it's a great neutral sounding arm.

Have a look at the Groovemaster arm, I had the 12" version on a SP10 Mk2 deck and it worked brilliantly

https://audio-creativeshop.nl/product/groovemaster-ii-tonearm/

GyroSE likes this.
  4. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The SME arms are great - I have an SME309 (rewired and fixed headshell). It has adjustable VTA and I thought that the IV did also?

Just the thought of Unipivot arms gives me the heebie-jeebies incidentally, especially with a £4k cartridge bolted to the end!

Andy Saunders and GyroSE like this.
  5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

The SME IV indeed has adjustable VTA but not with a knob as on the V. The SME 309 has the same type of VTA adjustment as the IV. I think the 309 might be the best and most affordable choice in this case.

MGW likes this.
  6. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

l had an SME V on my lightly modded SL1200MK2 and it sounded good but a little relentless, which l put down to the SL1200MK2 as the V has not shown this trait on any other TT which l have put it on......however we do all hear things differently- good luck.

MGW and VinylSoul like this.
  7. The Wand arms have had some very positive reviews and are fitted to some high end tables.
    I've had a 10" Wand Plus as a second arm on my Project RPM10 for a few years now.
    Very well made. Easy to set up and use with great support if needed from the designer, Simon Brown. Keep an open mind.
    Some reviews
    Wand Tonearm Reviews

8. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Exactly!
    Especially once the headshell is cemented in place I struggle to see any major differences between the 309 and the VI. In my case, the finger lift is also removed and the arm removed cartridge tags to RCAs - never compared it to a stock IV but I doubt that I would be disappointed.

9. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

I have a SME V on my Oracle Delphi, and recently added an SME 312s to my Clearaudio Innovation. Both are exceptional. On the Delphi I used to have a 309 and found the V was a huge improvement overall. Used SME prices have gone way up so if you're gonna get one, get it now before they become unobtanium.

GyroSE likes this.
  10. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Tlay likes this.
  11. pingles

pingles Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks all. I caved and ended up getting a used Series V, hopefully it works out but if not sounds like I won’t have lost anything in testing out.

Andy Saunders likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.