Contemplating new CD or Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

I use an Oppo BDP-103 as a CD player in my two channel set up. When the family wants to watch a movie on Blu-ray I disconnect it, bring it upstairs, and then a day or two (or 10) later, I do the reverse so I can listen to CDs again.

I’m tired of doing this. I figure I can either get a cheap $79 Blu-ray player for the TV or leave the Oppo up there and buy a modest CD player for my stereo. I’d probably be looking at something like the Yamaha CD-S300.

I know that the Oppo uses the Cirrus Logic CS4382A (8-ch, 24-bit, 192khz) DAC. The only info I see on the Yamaha is that it has a Burr Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DAC. No specific model that I can find.

How might these two DACs stack up against each other? And the two machines overall? I know the Oppo is an impressive piece of kit, but perhaps I’m better off utilizing its video capabilities instead of of using it solely for audio.

Other suggestions?

2. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

I play Blu-Rays through my son's X-Box and have a dedicated Blu-Ray player in my bedroom set up. With that said, I know nothing about DACs.

3. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

What's more important to you????....Watching movies or listening to music???...whichever is your choice, I'd leave the Oppo as the player as it's a great one at either.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Depends on how much of a videophile you are and whether you have your upstairs TV hooked up to a rig for sound. But yeah, unplugging and making the unit pull double duty that way is prolly not the best idea.

If you play only Blu Rays, the superior upscaling capabilities of the Oppo are prolly going to waste up there. And it's a hell of a CD player to have. The consensus on the Yamaha is that it's a good CD player.

From a strictly economic POW, you're better off getting a cheap BR player.

5. Gruni

Gruni Forum Resident

You didn't mention what brand TV you have. Say you had a Samsung TV you're happy with, and it has the larger remote that will control a blu-ray ...then I'd probably consider a Samsun Blu-ray. I bought one for $25 off ebay that works great. I don't love that blu-ray b/c there isn't a single light or button on it, but most are that way now.

Otherwise, you might consider a Sony 4k Blu-ray player. You're next TV will probably be 4k. Sony has the x800 and new er x700. If you wait till black friday, you'll be able to find a good deal on one. The Sony players are higher quality in terms of look at feel than my ole Samsung.

6. cjc

cjc Senior Member

What is the BEST cheap Blu Ray player for strictly audio compact disc?

7. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I'd be inclined to use the Oppo for movies and buy a new CD player. To me the Oppo is a BR/DVD player first and foremost, so why not use it to play movies?

I'd rather have a dedicated CD player to play music on. And I'd consider buying used to get more player for the money, or at least buy one with digital outs so that you can upgrade the DAC if you want to down the line. Ultimately, I feel you'd have the best source for your music this way, and the Oppo will remain excellent for video.

Matt Richardson and Lebowski like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

People still buy Blu rays??? Ha-ha, get a cheap Blu ray player for upstairs...

9. Lebowski

Haha, yes. The kids have a few BDs that they like to watch over and over and over (and over) again...

Matt Richardson and Bingo Bongo like this.
  10. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Do you listen to sacd? Dvd-a? Blu-ray audio?

The yamaha isn't going to cut it.

As a standalone redbook player it's great though.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Plugged into what? If into an AVR or a DAC, then AFAIK nobody has shown it will make a difference. If you want analog output, then I doubt you'll find a cheap new one, they are pretty much HDMI only now. Also do you mean Blu-ray, or UHD Blu-ray, that's another wrinkle.

The Pinhead and cjc like this.
  12. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

If you are on,y using it for kids movies just buy them a cheap BluRay player.

Lebowski likes this.
  13. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Which is Best stand alone Redbook cd only ( no external DAC) player for cheap?

14. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I would get a Blu-Ray player for the family room and keep the Oppo for music duty. Perhaps a player that can link up with the tv/receiver if a universal remote isn't used. The Oppo can always be used as a reliable transport.

The Pinhead, jeffsab and Lebowski like this.
  15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Another wrinkle for another thread.

Lebowski likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, not the Blu vs UHD part, that needs clarification. Do different players sound different via HDMI, that IS another wrinkle and another thread
    Has anyone tried comparing HDMI outputs?
    ;)

17. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Yeah, no. OP should get a cheapy BR player for the kids and be done with it.

18. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Go to your local thrifts. You'll find what you need for under $20 for the TV. If you're lucky it will have a remote and/or streaming capabilities. Some models are better than others.

Used Sony BDP-S590 or earlier. Also will play SACD beautifully with a great sounding stereo analog output. As a bonus will stream Pandora with no ads even if you have free Pandora. Will also stream Netflix, etc (with newer models more services stream). Check your local thrifts often and be patient.

PM me if you're interested in a clean BDP-S570 with no remote (you'll have to get a remote on Amazon, Ebay, etc. or use a programmable universal.

19. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Go to your local GameStop and get a used Playstation 3 for upstairs movie watching. It was (and still is) in my opinion a bargain. Grab a remote too. I use a PS 3 in the bedroom. It is very rare for a device this old to continually be updated, so the device always is bug free. Gives you access to streaming and is an above-average disc player.

Keep the Oppo for music.

Be wary of buying thrift-store disc players. I realize I'm contradicting myself because I said get a used PS3. But a chain like Gamestop will give u a fair return policy, whereas thrift stores may or may not. I would use it heavily during return period, to make sure it isn't gonna crap out. I've gotten thrift store CD players before because they seemed like too good of a deal to be true, and problems always arise. Though, if you see one in the original box that is a very good indication the owner took care of it, and would make me feel a lot better.

Lebowski likes this.
  20. Lebowski

Actually, this is a great point, and something that I totally forgot about. I used to have a PS3, one of the very early models, if not the first. It was a phenomenal BD player, and also played SACD to boot! I still have it, but the optical drive is shot (still works for streaming though). I bought another one, the slim model, a couple years ago to use as a BD player and occasional gamer, but it "disappeared" during our renovation last year.

Might have to pursue this angle again. I actually still have the Bluetooth remote for it...

21. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

That Yamaha is at Accessories4Less.com for $189.99 In fact, the entire suite of Yamaha spinners is there now.

I'm a big fan of buying just the right tool...no more, no less. So I vote for a dedicated CD spinner :targettiphat:

Lebowski likes this.
  22. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

My 1st generation (with the SACD capability) crapped out too, but thankfully I purchased a replacement plan! There was a design flaw with the fan IIRC. A lot of them crapped out. Sadly SACD playback was discontinued when they launched the thin-style version. But the thin-style version ones seem to hold up much better. Mine has gotta be close to 15 years old with regular usage, and I have had zero issues. And I see them at friend's and family's houses still kicking all the time too. I'm not much of a gamer, but I walk by GameStop in the mall and recall seeing used players priced around $50.

And @Lebowski if you decide against re-purchasing a PS3 PM me about that remote. I never pulled the trigger on one. They were like $50 when new. So we just got used to using the controller. By the time PS4 came out, and the remotes dropped to reasonable prices, it was already our secondary unit, so I never bothered to get it. I would gladly pay you the FMV for it, if you want to reduce clutter. :)

23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That is NOT the kind of duty that you want for your precious Oppo to be doing! Use your Oppo in your audio system, and get a cheapo BR player which the kids can either run-to-death, or ruin.

fluffskul, Lebowski and Bill Mac like this.
  24. Lebowski

Haha will do. If memory serves mine came as part of a "movie bundle" - the console, the remote, and a couple of BD movies. I think it was an attempt at the time to raise awareness that the PS3 was a (very competent) Blu-ray player in addition to just being a gaming system.

fluffskul likes this.
  25. Lebowski

Yeah, their website shows them ranging from $79 - 99 for just the console or bundled with games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.