DCC Archive Cool cover versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Today I spun Train Kept a Rollin' by the Rock n' Roll Trio and the Yardbirds take on that fine tune - Aerosmith's version isn't handy for me but it's great, too. Any other tunes that have great cover versions come to yer collective noggins???

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just had The Byrds' My Back Pages in. A damn fine cover. One of (if not) their best Dylan covers.

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I mentioned this before, but here it is anyway. It's a compilation CD called Common Thread: Songs Of The Eagles. What it is is a bunch of Eagles songs performed by some C/W stars.

Now I'm a hardcore Eagles listener ever since Take It Easy came out, but I'll tell ya, this is good. I actually prefer a few of the covers over the originals.

4. Ian

Ian Active Member

Cool cover versions... Hmmmm let's see...

Faces
    "Wicked Messenger"

Rod Stewart
    "Tomorrow Is A Long Time"
    Definitive

Otis Redding
    "Satisfaction"
    Devo's version runs a close second

The Who
    "I Don't Mind"
    "Leaving Here"

Motorhead
    "Leaving Here"
    Motown for the mosh pit

Brian Ferry
    "Eight Miles High"

Nico
    "The End"
    Stormtooper chantuese

Hawkwind
    "Cymbaline"

MC5
    "Livin' In The USA"

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Ian ]

5. Matt

Matt New Member

The Byrds and the Band do great versions of Dylan songs (though many of the songs the Band did were really collaborations).

I first heard "Take Me To The River" when it was done by the Talking Heads; a great cover.

"Don't Do It" by the Band and "Money" by the Beatles are great, more impressive because they're Motown songs and Motown can be done so poorly (not a big Phil Collins fan, or Mariah Carey).

Maria McKee used to sing a great version of "Sweet Jane" in the early days of Lone Justice.

6. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Ever heard of Buddy Miles? He did a great version of that song. I'm sure I still have that 8-track lying in a dusty corner somewhere...

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Great cover versions?

Geez, The Beatles & The Stones. Anything not written by them.

I was so clueless when I was a kid, I thought that "Roll Over Beethoven", "Not Fade Away", "Honey Don't", "Time Is On My Side", etc., were Beatles & Stones originals.

When I finally heard the originals, years later--Wow!

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

They're not?!? (just kidding)

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Indeed. The Beatles made Twist & Shout their own, and as good as Little Richard is, I'll take Paul singing Long Tall Sally any day of the week...

Time Is On My Side. It's All Over Now. I Can't Be Satisfied. Little Red Rooster. You've Really Got A Hold On Me. Money (Beatles *and* Stones). Fortune Teller.

Still haven't heard the Benny Spellman original to Fortune Teller, though...

10. Matt

Matt New Member

The Beatles got me listening into "oldies" in the first place. Before they came along, the oldest music I had was "Murmur" by R.E.M.

For awhile, I was unsure if they did the original versions of "Money" or "Please Mr. Postman" or if they were actually covers (ridiculous, eh?).

I just wish they did more Buddy Holly. "Words of Love" was a good cover. Thank god for the BBC sessions, too. "Hippy Hippy Shake," "Keep Your Hands Off My Baby"...was there anything this band couldn't do?

11. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

"I Hear You Knockin'," Dave Edmunds

"Both Sides Now," Jason Falkner

"This is Where I Belong," Bill Lloyd

"Crackin' Up," Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

"Why Do Fools Fall in Love," The Beach Boys (always liked it, especially that a cappella break ... sounds super on DCC's "Spirit of America" CD ... actually ditto for "I Can Hear Music")

"Chimes of Freedom" (from live EP), Bruce Springsteen

"I Shall Be Released," The Band (I really miss ya, Richard Manuel)

I also concur with: "Money" and "Long Tall Sally," The Beatles, and "Time is on My Side" and "It's All Over Now," The Rolling Stones, plus "My Back Pages" by the Byrds ...

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, I'd hardly call that a cover. Yeah, it was written by Dylan, but it was written while playing with The Band, and they recorded it first, so...

Kind of like (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman and Delta Lady...

13. JPartyka

All true. You could argue that actually Dylan recorded it first (with the Band backing, yes) during the "Basement Tapes" sessions, but I guess for all intents and purposes that was just a demo. I guess I was just going by a strict definition of cover, as in recording something you didn't write yourself ...

14. JPartyka

Hmm. Looking back at what I just wrote here, it doesn't look right ... I guess I too think of a "cover" mostly as something that's been recorded AND RELEASED before ... so Luke's point is well taken ...

15. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Of course most Beatles & Stones covers, although I prefer Howlin' Wolf's Little Red Rooster and am not a big fan of John Lennon's versions of Chuck Berry's songs. I much prefer his Larry Williams covers! For some reason I hate most of the Kinks covers (ie. Louie, Louie, Naggin' Woman, Dancing in the Street, etc). They really stand out as "sore thumbs" among Ray's songs.
    As much as I love Bo Diddley, I prefer The Zombies version of Road Runner.

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Soundgarden doing "Come Together".

17. Ian

Ian Active Member

Soundgarden's versions of "Into The Void" and "Stray Cat Blues" are pretty good as well.

18. Matt

Matt New Member

Toots & the Maytals do a great cover of Louie, Louie. Man, never expected to hear that from a reggae band.

Speaking of Lennon's Chuck Berry covers, Jerry Lee Lewis is almost the only artist who's made Chuck Berry covers that I really liked. People seem to make great recordings that are clearly influenced by Berry's guitar ("Fun, Fun, Fun"), his lyrics ("Subterranean Homesick Blues"), or anything else, but bands seem to have less success covering his tunes. Never liked the Beach Boys doing Rock N' Roll Music, the Beatles version of that was almost a sign that the pressures of Beatlemania was getting to them (John's vocals sound stressed out to me)...the Stones performed good versions of "Around and Around" and "Bye Bye Johnny," but I'm not a big fan of Mick's vocals on those. Just my two cents...

Oh, and of course there's Elvis, who did tons of great covers. A lot of garbage, too, but a lot of gems as well.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I must say I really like most of the Stones' Berry covers:

You Can't Catch Me
    Down The Road Apiece (not written by Chuck, but...)
    Around And Around
    Carol
    Little Queenie
    Confessin' The Blues (again, not written by Chuck)

Yep, there are a few I didn't list, because I don't really care for them. Come On is kinda lame.

Down The Road Apiece, on the other hand, really rocks. Amazing cover...

20. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Beatles. The vast majority of their BBC canon were covers...and in many, if not most, blew away the originals.

21. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I prefer James Taylor's versions of "Up On The Roof" "You've Got A Friend" "How Sweet It Is" and "Every Day" to the originals. And I like the Blues Brothers doing "Soul Man" more for the dancin' and visuals than the singing...and then there is always "RESPECT" from Aretha Franklin rather than Otis Redding.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Dough ]

22. Unknown

Unknown Guest

How about:

Pantera - Planet Caravan
    WASP - The Real Me
    Megadeth - Anarchy in the U.K.
    Metallica - Blitzkreig
    Anthrax - Parasite
    Tori Amos - Raining Blood

;) ;) ;)

23. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I also like the Stones covers of Berry tunes. I do, however, hate their cover of My Girl.
    Toots and the Maytals also do a cool cover of We Shall Overcome.
    Speaking of Toots, the Clash did a pretty nice job with Pressure Drop. I also love their cover of I Fought The Law.

24. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

The Beatles' recording of RNRM was done in _one_ take (on Sunday 18 Oct 1964, exactly 37 years ago last week).

Sure, I wish the vocal was a bit richer, and I wish the whole track had a more solid balance... but I don't dare complain about such an impressive live performance from the 5 of them (JPGR + Sir George on piano, obvious once you know it).

Just stickin' up for the boys! :D

25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Getting back to Buddy Miles:
    He re-did "Down By The River(Neil Young) as opposed to "Take me to the River".
    His re-make of the Neil song is great.
    Especially the live version that's on the Mercury "Best of Buddy Miles" cd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.