Cool Edit - Clip Restoration question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

What does this actually do? I tested it on a waveform that was hugging the 0db line (not to start a war, but it was the new Zeppelin live CD, I was putting it on my IPOD) and it appeared to smooth over the rough spot, sort how a Click Fix works. Does this somehow repair any distortion by blending in sound from either side of that spot or something?

Thanks,

BOB

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The only thing you can do is to try it. Sometimes it works on certain material that has been compressed and limited, sometimes, not. I have done it with some success, but I recently tried it on The Donnas' "Spend The Night" CD and oh boy! It was a nightmare!

The de-clipper works on mildly to medium clipped material. If you use it, it really should be the first thing you use before any processing.

It really is not intended to be used as you are using it, but if you can restore some dynamic range to a maximized track, go for it! I've done it. Bradley's done it.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Grant is right. It is only worth trying.

4. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Me, too! I have also played around with this feature with mixed results. Like Grant said, experiment.

5. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Yup.

I had it help rescue a choral piece that was *seriously* clipped by accidental preamp overload.

(Hint: If this happens, and the max level is below 0 in CEP, you need to jack up the level until you do clip it a tiny bit more (let's say if the max level is -3, and the wave looks flat topped, then amplify by 3.2 dB) before running the de-clipper. CEP has to believe it's actually clipped or nothing happens. If the wave file is distorted but doesn't look flat topped you may still be able to get some benefit by increasing the gain so CEP does seriously clip it. And of course you can't be in 32 bit mode or CEP won't clip it at all. Thanks to Grant for pointing that out.)

But alas! sometimes it just doesn't help at all.

As to how the process actually works, I've no idea, and I'd be interested to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.