Cool Edit Pro Users.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Hey guys, if any of you use Cool Edit Pro, I have a major question....

I have a bunch of 45s, all on the same label, all done in the same studio, all cut by the same place. 60s stuff.

I'm in the process of archiving every side to Digital.

Just about all of them have some surface noise...some more than others, but most are about the same. The really bad ones I'm not dubbing, I'll wait till I get a better source disk. All are compatible stereo.

What I'd like to know is this: Does anyone have a really effective set of settings for the CEP noise window that seems to work really well on 45 noise removal. The whole thing, all the values.

The idea is that I'll find one set of settings that works well, then use that on all the 45s, and get most of them done. I can always re-do a few later on if need be. This would save me a whole bunch of time
    and maybe I could actually complete this project.

anybody? Grant?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Under the Noise Reduction/Pop/Click eliminator, try hitting "auto find levels" and play with it a bit. Always listen first for the effectiveness, then you can undo what doesn't work.

Note: DO NOT use the same settings for different 45's. There is NO good blanket script for CEP that will help all kinds of vinyl. It's a painstaking hunt/peck kinda thing.

3. RetroSmith

Sckott, thanks for the post.

All the 45s are the same vinyl, the same label, pressed about the same time. I should be able to find a median setting, no? i dont care if some come out a little better than the others, I kinds need to get the job done. I can always go back later and redo some, as I'm going to save the original unfutzed with files on CD.

mikey

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh, but not the same EQ settings or dynamics, etc.

But what I was really talking about was condition. Try the same NR level on many of them... but you're gonna find out - it's best to find levels each time.

Again, this is not a perfect world.....but try it!

5. RetroSmith

i will....and thanks, dude!!

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Mikey, there are no "one size fits all" settings for this type of thing.

7. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I have a suggestion, though. Try setting the max threshold detect and reject thresholds the same. THis seems to reduce the incidence of the click remover distorting transient peaks considerably, without much negative consequence that I can see, at least on the records I've tried it with.

8. Grant

If you clean up surface noise, I hope you havethe CEP 2.1. It includes a new spectral decay feature that ROCKS! You can eliminate, or virtually eliminate artifacts. My hint in keeping it from affecting the music? Keep the FFT LOW, like in the 2000 range!

9. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Don't you tend to get burblies/sparklies if you do that, Grant?

10. RetroSmith

Thanks for the advice, fellahs!!

11. Grant

No! That's what the new spectral decay control is for.

I think the reason people use high FFTs is because they are trying to carve out every bit of noise. I don't. All I try to remove is the underbelly. I use the:

NR level at 100%
    FFT of 2048
    NR reduction of about 40
    Precision factor of 9
    Smoothing amount 1
    Transition width 5
    Spectral decay 85-90%

Snapshots of 4000

Some of these settings won't mean a thing to you unless you upgrade to CEP 2.1. It's free if you have CEP 2.0 or 1.2.

12. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Thanks Grant, I'll use those as a starting point next time.

Like you, I always use 100% as well. Anything less seems more obvious. (Although I sometimes find it useful the alter the NR spectrum, leaving the bass untouched.)

I've upgraded to 2.1 but haven't yet tried its noise reduction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.