Cool Vintage Record Shop Signs - Photos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

Owned by the most gregarious and friendly record shop owner I have met in over 50 years, Jimmy Barrett

[​IMG]

McLover and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  2. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

No question!

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

What was referred to as Radio Row. The area where the World Trade Center was built. Also had loads of HiFi shops in the golden era of HiFi.

Tribute likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My local record shop. Sound It Out in Stockton, North East England. It's a LOT better than it was when that film was made now. Tom's (the owner - in the photo) a good guy, he's very friendly, very passionate and is proud of his shop. His prices are fair, often a very good deal and I've bought some great records from there. Highly recommended if anybody here can get to it.

There's also a fantastic shop in Sunderland, again in North East England, called Hot Rats. Both of these shops are so worth supporting if possible and run by good people who love music. They both get a lot of excellent records in.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    McLover and Tribute like this.
  5. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I don't remember this particular shot being posted here before. If I'm wrong, let me know!
    [​IMG]

Fender Relic and Tribute like this.
  6. Tribute

That is how I always get mustard on my records. I find that 401 Cleaner followed by Windex will get it off without a mess.

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

This looks like something my parents would do to trick me into going to the barber when I was a kid.

Fool me once....

Rhett and davers like this.
  8. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Jack's Record Cellar in Francisco ... just off Haight St. on Scott in San Francisco. Shopped there for many years with the Flamin' Groovies' Roy Loney working behind the counter before I knew who he was. Has been there since the 78 era, and it's still cooking, despite its inauspicious sign and quirky location. If you have a great store, people who love music will find you.

Fender Relic and j.barleycorn like this.
  9. Carl Steward

Old Town in Orange, CA ...found a 45 I'd been searching forever last time I was there, it was a buck. A keeper of a store.

10. Carl Steward

Loved this place. One of a kind, more of a museum than a record store because the stock rarely changed. A piece of me died when it did.

Tribute and j.barleycorn like this.
  11. Carl Steward

[​IMG]
    Once upon a time, pre-CDs, the SF location on Bay and Columbus was vinyl Mecca.

12. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

13. Tribute

I hope you got him to sell it for a more reasonable price.

14. Tribute

That was one of the best stores on the planet and it had the world's best autograph collection covering every style of music. That is about one-sixth of the store - closed by greedy landlords

j.barleycorn likes this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Jellyfish at that record store in the early 90's.

16. Tribute

Jellyfish should get together with Sting at a record store. He tried, but apparently he had the wrong location

[​IMG]

forthlin likes this.
  17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Specs Records & Tapes (later Specs Music) was small to medium sized chain located in stand alone buildings and malls through out South Florida. I was here quite a bit back in the day. The company was bought out by Trans World Entertainment who re-branded the stores to FYE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ModernDayWarrior

19. ModernDayWarrior

20. ModernDayWarrior

Sound A Rama right in Rahway NJ where I live and used to shop as a kid. As well as Vintage Vinyl and Rock and Roll Heaven.
    [​IMG]

Fender Relic and Tribute like this.
  21. Tribute

Trans World was one of the most evil forces in the history of music distribution. It did everything possible to destroy local and regional music dealers and replace them with worthless stores. A few years back, I went to a "moving sale" at a mansion in my area [the home of TWE]. It turned out it was the owner of Trans World himself selling his lamps, garden tools and what not (I saw some gear and asked him). When I asked him where he was moving, he told me to an apartment (in a lousy complex). I wonder what kind of divorce he was involved in.

McLover and Michael Rose like this.
  22. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I bought most of my music as a kid in the 80's at a Spec's music in central FL. I remember how they had LP's in the center, and the walls were lined with cassettes. Eventually CD's would take over the LP bins. Good times.

Tribute likes this.
  23. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I lived in Miami for a couple of years in the late 70s and I remember Specs. I met Baird (?) Spector(?) who I believe was in the process of assuming control of the stores from his father. I actually had dinner with him & his wife at their condo. I know this is all pretty random but it's that "Degree of separation" thing. :)

Michael Rose likes this.
  24. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Oh yeah ! Ran into him at the Dylan show from two weeks ago in Albany, he called me the next morning to rave about it !

25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Wow, what a turn of events. I worked for TWE as a teen when their music stores were 'Record Town' (pre-Camelot buy out) in my mall. It was fun enough for a part time job. I actually worked for them twice.