Copy protection on these Cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

I just got the new "The Best of The Monkees" and the stereo Cd
    of "Elvis #1 hits" and discovered something....

I believe BOTH of these Cds are copy protected!!

While i was able to rip the files and make MP3s for my IPOD with no problem, I was NOT able to copy either Cd to make a safety for myself (which i always do) and I was NOt able to burn a Cd from the Mp3 files.

I'm pretty pissed. i bought both of these retail, paid my money like a good Cd buyer and I cant make a Cd copy in case i lose the original.

Has anybody else had this problem with either of these two disks?

Mikey

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

What are you using to rip these, and are you getting ASPI layer errors??

3. RetroSmith

I ripped them with Exact Audio Copy.

They rip fine, because the MP3s sound fine. Its when I burn a Cd that it bombs out.

I *could* use a different burner on another machine to test, but i have strong hunch they encoded something in the datastream to mess up the burner.

4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Is this possible? If it is, could someone elaborate more on this? Hmm...

5. RetroSmith

Eureka!!

I tried a copy in the other machine and it worked!!

So, i guess the burner in the first machine has a problem.

Both machines are running Windows XP and EZ CD Creator 6. i dont beleive I have to worry about any ASPI files, correct?

Sound like the burner went bad?

6. Sckott

Yep. Did you hack the ASPI layer, because XP isn't friendly with most any CDR programs... Unless EZ6 must have forced the layer on XP. That's possible.

No, if you rip something, it should burn NP. No excuse except system performance and the burner, blank, and everything systematically external to the ASPI.

7. RetroSmith

Sckott, I didnt do anything with the ASPI layer, but the burner was working fine.

And I tried two different sets of blanks and they both bombed out.

Should I try loading ASPI.exe?

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Mikey,

Did you just get a new set of CD-Rs? With certain programs, such as Nero, if you're set to burn at 16x and you have a 12x disc, it's going to crap out every time. This can be solved by changing the burn speed in your settings.

9. Sckott

**No one should be burning at more than 8X. Bad ju-ju. I burn at 2, 4 and SOMETIMES 8. Check articles on the web that have to do with inherent jitter when discs are written at high speeds...

Some burners burn pits more accurately than others too...

** - This is mainly my opinion. Do what works for you :)

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Really? I've always heard (from non-audophiles, though) that everything up to 16x was okay, but anything after that is unstable. I usually burn at 12x (my burner is a 24) and I haven't noticed any loss in sound quality.

11. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I think it depends on how much memory you have in your system and the DMA bus. But i always burn and rip at no more than 8X myself. I have had problems with burns in the past before I upgraded at speeds over 16X. Just me. :)

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is a point I was trying make on a thread in the Audio Topic section, that it's not a good idea to burn at higher speeds. But I also don't think it's wise to burn at 1x or even 2x with today's blanks. But eveerything depends on your burner/computer setup, and the blanks.

Seems all people are usually concerned about is faster, faster, faster...

13. Sckott

Test things yourself...!

1. Burn at 16X. Something you have lying around.
    2. Store the CD for a month or more.
    3. Try re-imaging the disc using SECURE MODE in EAC. ONLY!
    4. See if your image comes up roses with 100% integrity.
    5. If all goes well, you're very lucky!!

Many blanks and burners can't cut the butter when it comes to keeping integrity of the image without jitter. I've lost TONS of stuff by burning 12-32X. The impressions aren't accurate, and SOME players just don't wanna track it.... Again, this is MY experience, and it's been tested around the assumptions herein, and it's been solid burning 2-4X with trusted blanks.

14. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Anything more than 4x is not a good idea. Burning\recording od a Cd is still a very unstable area.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Billy Joel Boxset has copy protection..I was unable to make a copy on a PC or Home CD Recorder last year...

16. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

My copy of Rosanne Cash's Rules of Travel is "Copy Controlled" which, I'm guessing, is a way to stop the disc (can't call it a CD now :D) being copied or ripped.

As I bought it on the way to a friends home, the first thing we did is stick it in his Mac. It played perfectly and copied perfectly. Upstairs in his son's WinXP box, it ripped to mp3 and copied perfectly.

When we tried to play the disc on the PeeCee, it asked if it could install a program. Despite saying No! it installed the program anyway and played a very low res version of the album.

I'm pretty sure that I could easily copy the disc without the Copy Controlled stuff on my Mac quite easily. Putting the disc in my iBook's CD drive, it appears on the desktop as two separate drives. One has all of the music, the second all of the Copy Controlled stuff.

I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out what the point is of including some technology to stop copying when it doesn't work?!?

[Copying was for educational purposes only - I'm happy to buy my music]

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Joey Ramone's "Don't Worry About Me" is the only disc of mine thus far that I've noticed any copy protection on.

18. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Mike,

I don't know much about XP <--> CDR interactions, since I've only had XP for about a week myself. I haven't been able to get all of the burning sw I use regularly to work with it yet, but the one I use for audio works just fine.

It's called CDRWIN, in case you haven't heard of it. It's audio-only (doesn't do data discs AFAIK), does all its work in disc-at-once mode and uses cue-sheets which allow for some very flexible editing and laying out of audio CDs.

It'll take a .WAV image + cuesheet straight from EAC and burn it to CD seamlessly.

Should you choose to try it out, I'll be happy to help if you have any issues with it (as long as I can!).

Damián

PS: I also go low-speed for audio, 2x - 4x but no further. Can't do 1x cause my burner don't support it.

19. RetroSmith

cool, Dam!! thanks!!

20. Sckott

Damián,

Are you sure you're talking about CDRWIN and not EAC? CDRWin is the German bin/cue software primarilly for DATA that burns DAO.

EAC is a German product as well, but works similar in ways, only use is AUDIO, and both EAC and CDRwin use CUE sheets as well....

New versions of CDRWin (v.5x) are now designed much like EZCD Creator and Nero, in which you have menu orientated protocols...

Not sure if there's a bit of confusion there.... Or maybe it's me...

21. Damián

I'm fairly sure, yes.. I know EAC does have burning capabilities too, but I've never used it as burning software myself.. I use it for imaging CDs to HD.

You may be right too regarding CDRWin, since you mention version 5.x and I'm stuck with 4.x .. it does just fine, so why change it?

As far as I'm aware it doesn't do data discs, in fact when you select 'Record Disc' the options are 'Load Tracks' (WAV or MP3 files) and 'Load Cuesheet', .. OTOH now I'm wondering what 'd happen if it was feed a cuesheet referencing a data track, .. never tried it.

I believe it copies CDs too, perhaps it takes data discs for that. Again, I haven't tried it. I *believe* I remember it wouldn't let me 'rip' data tracks from a hybrid CD, just audio, FWIW.

That's about as much as I remember about it right now but yes, I'm fairly sure I'm talking about CDRWin, at least the version I have.

Thanks for your comments, best regards

Damián

22. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I've been burning for a lot of years. My first burner cost over $300, and that was heavily discounted and didn't include the needed SCSI card. The early IDE burners were garbage and had poor software support.

I've burned everything at 2X and 4X until two months ago.

I'm now burning at 16x to 24x with absolutely stellar results. I think the quality of the discs I am burning now may be the best I have ever made.

It depends on your drive and the media. Many current drives won't even burn below 8x. My new 52x Aopen has been tested by CDRInfo.com as having less jitter at 24x than an older PlexWriter has at 4x!

My drive also has lower jitter at 12x, 16x, and 24x than it has at 8x!

But test numbers alone have limited value. But the discs I am burning now sound fantastic and I am not having any errors/failures!

Don't fool yourself into thinking ultra-low speeds guarantee better quality. Get an up-to-date burner after researching test results, and always use quality media (I stick to Japan-made Taiyo Yuden).

23. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

There are two "families" of CDRWIN floating around. The original from GOLDENHAWK TECHNOLOGIY does data and audio discs as well as DVD-R/RW. The current version is at 3.9C 15FEB03.

Any version higher than this is from a German company using the same name and is unrelated to the original.

24. Sckott

AH, yes that's right. I'm talking about the Goldenhawk product. That does data, but can also do audio, but as a burn-only task.

I've been using CDRWin for yeeears, since 3.0... It's only recently they added MP3, wav support.

Then there's CDRWin 5.0...Does pretty much everything...

25. Damián

Surely mine is the 'unofficial' version then.. but I love it! :D

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.