Cord cutters - How many streaming services do you pay for?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by telliott, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

I have Comcast Xfinity now. When I use CNN on my iPad or desktop I also get the commercial in progress screen. I don't get that they just don't have apps for stand alone news channel viewings. Even with commercials. That would be great.

Just looking towards next year when I might consider cutting Xfinity completely !!!???

BTW I love having Netflix and Amazon Prime. Also have Hulu through a share with my ex. Apparently we can have on multi devises in second homes.. She gets my Prime. But with Hulu, two people can't watch at the same time. Works for us.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

We have
    Amazon Prime
    Hulu with Live TV...which is where I watch CNN and MSNBC (no interest in Fox News)
    of course we have to keep a Comcast Internet cable connection as well.
    I also have a small antenna on my chimney for over the air looks great, and it’s a good backup in case all of the above fails for whatever reason.
    I’m ok with this set up.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I have a DirectTV password that I rarely use. HBO blocked me after they updated their tech and could see that I don't have DirectTV - that was interesting. For about six months a couple years ago I was downloading MSNBC news shows direct from the NBC servers that their employees access. I remember when I first started using that hookup that I found using gooogle - I was looking at the url and thinking, "Hmmm, it looks like I'm in MSNBC's servers." That was cool. :laugh:
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Forum Resident

Netflix only, although I get tired of the content. I had Hulu twice and wasn't into it. The only section I looked at was the Criterion Collection and now that is gone. Netflix has the right offerings (movies, good tv). More classics would be better. But I guess I have that covered!
  5. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Forum Resident

Midlands UK
    Only NETFLIX, don't even watch Freeview (standard TV) and haven't for about 5-6 years..tell I lie I watch 4 On Demand for Formula 1 .. listen to a helluva lot more Music these days :)
  6. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

The problem is that they want us to subsidize all those crappy channels we don't care about. But I guess there is someone for every channel??

I would love a total a la carte pick each channel you want one my one. See how it all plays out.....
  7. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

My modem has the twoc hannels 2.4 and 5. I get around 275 MPS with 5 if I am in the same room and around 22o if I am downstairs (2.4 is better through walls). I get about 90-100 MPS with 2.4. This is Comcast Xfinity and NOT with their upgrade Blast service. This is in Seattle.
  8. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Elmira, NY
    Valid point, but I would say it depends on your circumstances. My situation? I don't have others that I have to satisfy and I'm no longer tied to the hip with mainstream media. I turned in my cable box and modem for VOIP phone with TWC (now Spectrum) two and a half years ago. It was tough going at first since I was a MLB/NFL junkie going cold turkey, but I managed. Hey, I quit smoking almost 33 years ago so there's no reason I couldn't ween myself off TV.

I pay $65/mo. for internet and $27/mo. for unlimited talk/text and 4GB data with H2O having just switched from AT&T (can't stand Verizon). I was looking to pay less than $100/mo. for combined Internet and that allowed me to do it. As far as streaming I had Netflix but cancelled over a year ago because I use YouTube Red and Google Play Music far more. I have Amazon Prime, but I very rarely stream video or music. I do HBO Now when GOT is on. I do have access to TV when I go to dialysis, but when I do watch it's just Turner Classic Movies and I have to admit to seeing some classic, wonderful movies there like White Heat with James Cagney, Dark Victory with Bette Davis, and Out of the Past with both Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas. If I could just stream that channel I would.

I don't want to say I would never pay for TV again, but right now I don't feel it's worthwhile.
    showtaper likes this.
  9. eric777

eric777 Forum Resident

No, I don’t get any of those. The only news I get is what’s offered on the major networks such as ABC and NBC. Stuff like that isn’t available with what I have. I use the internet for that stuff.

The converter box I have gives me things like PBS and other local stations. I do get CW and Fox which I do watch occasionally.

I mostly watch movies if I’m going to watch a lot of tv which is what I get through Amazon Prime. I had Netflix for a little while but I have found Prime to be more favorable.
    Reader likes this.