Coroner says Joe Strummer died from defective artery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

This is probably old news, but I didn't hear about the specifics until recently. The cause of Strummer's heart attack was a defective artery, and according to the coroner, Strummer would have been born with it. In theory, since it was left undetected, it could have claimed his life at any time.

Somewhat of a relief, especially since Entwistle's heart attack was tied to cocaine use. Not the case here.

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I'm glad you're relieved to know he didn't die a drug related death. Personally, I don't judge people who compromise their health with drugs, bad diet, lack of exercise, self-neglect, etc. I just don't do it myself. I guess it serves Warren Zevon right, huh, for smoking all those cigarettes. I don't know about you, but it's not something I'd say to Mr. Zevon's face. I think it's sad for Strummer's family and friends that he died so young of whatever cause, likewise Entwistle's, and it's too bad for us that both of them were pretty much drifting musically for years. :sigh:

3. Matt

Dude, ask before jumping to conclusions about where other people are coming from, okay?

When he died, some people unfamiliar with the Clash naturally assumed it was drugs. Hey, it's another rock star dying relatively young, probably just OD'ed, that was the attitude. A few who knew about Entwistle's death used his cocaine use as proof of their assumption.

I don't look down on people who use drugs, I know people who use drugs, I have friends who have experimented with it. I never used any myself, I don't believe in it, but I don't feel any smug superiority about it, so you can give up that assumption.

Next, I said "somewhat relieved." What I meant by 'somewhat' is that on the one hand, it sticks it to those shmucks who just dismissed his death as being some bad cliche of rock stars killing themselves with drugs. On the other hand, it doesn't change the fact that Joe's gone. If you've ever met Joe, you'll know how accessible he was, how you could talk to him about politics or rock n' roll for what seems to be forever, and walk away feeling like a million bucks.

Oh, and while Strummer wasn't making the best music of his career in recent years, I'd hardly call it drifting.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Hey guys --

I think you're making this too personal. We're all hugely saddened by Joe's death. We don't need to take it out on each other.

Peace,

HZ

5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Agreed. I certainly meant nothing personal and I think it wasn't a stretch to make an inference there. Peace.

6. Matt

I was ticked off from the line about judging others in that bit mentioning Zevon, which sounded personal. But, HZ's right. Peace to you all. RIP, Joe Strummer.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I think that people are relieved that Joe's passing was not connected with drugs. I was especially saddened when Entwistle died to hear it was connected with cocaine usage. One would think if one knew one had a potentially fatal heart condition that one would stop such activities. But cocaine is a difficult drug for users to stop.

It's sad, again, about Joe Strummer, but at least it was truly natural causes. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.