Cost-Effective LP Storage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Aman, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aman

Aman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think that record collectors may want to give this a good hard look... was recommended these by a record dealer I recently did business with.

It appears to be record-storage crates that are specifically designed to do just that ... store records.

2 for 18 dollars!! :p

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=2&subcat=14&product_id=xlp65pc

I ordered five today .. when they get here I will post some impressions ... and also say if I wasted fourty bucks or not! :D

What do you guys think?
    -Andrew

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Good for storing a lot of LPs for "away away". Was that what you wanted?

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I've got a few hundred of my records in those. They work pretty good except for easy access (in my case anyway). I've got almost all my 45s in them too.

4. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:idea: asked my uncle the same thing. he says some cinderblocks and wood boards are college furniture and will do just fine for that job to. then again... I haven't made any progress in getting that stuff yet! :unhunh:

5. Aman

Well I ordered them mainly to preserve my most treasured LPs... which are also my most played! :eek:

Did I make a mistake?

I really don't want to shell out big bucks for big gigantic wooden cubes that are shaped the exact same way as milk carts... plus I don't have the money for it even if I wanted to shell out that much cash :D

6. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Built my own for $60 and it holds about 2000 lps. Home Depot or whatever shelving painted white 7 foot length with pine 1x2 cut at 13 inches spaced every 8 inches on the shelves. Strong and clean looking. I know someone else that got cases built for $1000 that hold the same amount of lps, funny because he is a cheap type of guy. He saw mine and said I could have done that...my response... "why didn't you"
    lol

sean

7. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

For my record storage, I frequent antique and "junque" stores. I have found some very stunning storage ideas that way. Same thing for cds.

When you go into those shops with that mindset, it's amazing what you can find.

Dave

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I bought heavy duty utility shelving from Lowes. $50

9. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I have a couple of those boxes myself. Love them. They're very strong and sturdy!

10. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I have those too. They keep my records safe from my room mates. They also make moving them easy, when it comes time to move. When you move 600 miles across the country with a substantial record collection, these are really nice!!

11. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Nah, that´s what mp3 are for ;)

12. Joe Nino-Hernes

:laugh: :laugh:
    Never!!

13. Aman

I have yet to receive these, but they really do sound great. Thanks for the comments, fellas!

PS: And no, there will never be a day where ANY medium can replace Vinyl. :)

14. Joe Nino-Hernes

Agreed!! :agree:

I just read your profile, your my age!!! Its great to see more young people on the forums! Makes me glad that I am not the only member of our generation that appreciate quality!

15. Aman

Heh,
    And what's kind of cool about it is that I convinced all my MIT buddies (which you could expect are all digital freaks) the sound difference and (IMO) naturalness that you get from Vinyl, that you just can't find anywhere else, even on other analog sources!

16. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

:laugh: :thumbsup:

17. Aman

So far, I'd have to say I like these boxes a lot. Assembly took minutes, and I had my entire collection of records organized neatly with dividers and the whole package (almost 1000 albums!) for under sixty dollars. The seal is air-tight and the fit is perfect, these boxes are highly recommended.

18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Aman,

Where are you storing the boxes? I've seen people put the boxes on shelves. I'm curious as to how you are doing it.

19. Aman

<scottish>ACH!</scottish>
    I'm just puttin' these things on the ground near the turntable and such. I'm not a very organised guy - but I DO want to preserve my records :)

The ones that aren't being used are in the closet, the rest are in clear reach on the ground, right next to the gap between my dresser and my TT surface.

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

21. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

What's this?!
    A thread with three students posting!
    :eek:
    Allright you guys, break it up! Someone call the campus police!
    ;)
    Peace-
    Norm

22. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

23. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I swear I didn't do it!

24. Aman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.