Costello's "King of America" on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan C, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

"KOA" is one of my favorite Costello albums but I don't own the vinyl (the Ryko CD is decent but a bit bright IMHO). The UK pressings are most always considerably better than the Columbias, but I've heard this one sounded good in both versions. And of course the clean Columbia LPs are easy to find for a few bucks. Has anyone compared the US and UK pressings?
    Thanks,
    Dan C

2. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I have, but it was year's ago (I had a Linn at the time). One of my favorite Costello albums. When I was in London I picked up the Demon pressing and you know what, I liked the Columbia better. Shocked the hell out of me.

- Gabe

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I own the Columbia, and have never heard the UK. While I cannot offer an opinion on what's better - the Columbia is a fine pressing. The only reasons I can offer for this is in the nature of the music itself....

A large amount of acoustic instrument's, and rather longish album sides probably forced them to go for a cleaner sound rather than the sometimes "hot" compressed pressings Columbia was famous for during that era.

Giving it a listen right now - I would hazard a guess that they might have received a good buy on some higher quality vinyl around that time as well - it's pretty quiet. (Bass response is un-typically good - deep and rich as well). As I see this one in good shape fairly often in the used bins it's worth the $5 (or so) and you can always upgrade to an import later, if you find it preferable.

Munger74 likes this.
  4. Dan C

Thanks for the replies. There are a few nice copies on eBay right now I'm keeping my eyes on.
    Dan C

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

This is one of my favorite albums ever. I have mint copies of both the US and UK, and have never been able to hear much (any?) difference between them. Either is preferable to any CD issue I've yet heard.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Dan C,
    I may have an extra copy of the Columbia pressing for you. I will have to make a basement expedition this evening to double check. I can't remember whether I held onto it or unloaded it, but I know if I still have it, it has not been touched for something like ten years and you are welcome to it.

Regards,

7. Dan C

Thanks Ken, that's very kind of you. Let me know if you're able to dig it up.
    Take care,
    Dan C

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Dan,
    I found it. The cover has some creases, but the dust jacket w/lyrics and the LP appear to be in excellent shape. Send me a PM with an address to send the LP.

Regards,

9. Dan C

Columbia "King of America"

Bringing this post back from the dead. :)
    Ken was kind enough to send me an extra LP he had. I finally got a chance to listen to it tonight.
    Yes, it murders the Ryko CD. The LP is velvety smooth, natural, and easy to listen to all around. Despite the length it has amazing bass, especially important with the acoustic bass on this album.
    The CD sounds "transitory" and processed in comparison, and Costello's voice is sort of tizzy on top. Yuck!

That said, of course the CD is with every penny for the bonus tracks and Costello's liner notes. And I'll buy the Rhino as well.
    The LP just confirms that this is one of Costello's most brilliant albums.
    Thanks again Ken!
    Dan C

10. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I remember when it came out I thought the album sounded way too bright. Too crystal clear for my tastes (at the time). Perhaps I'd think differently now!

The Ryko CD... yuck. I'm hoping Rhino will do a better job (they seemed to do so with Imerpial Bedroom).

11. "Suit Of Lights" had a lot of fizzy quantization noise on it on the RYKO cd.

I still play that lp off the us vinyl or Columbia cd. Never heard any uk editions.

- - -

the quantization problem is also on the Ryko version of 'Armed Forces', especially the tunes "Wednesday Week" and "Talking In The Dark". The Demon comp 'Ten Bloody Marys' beats the Ryko except that TBM has puny bass.

Thought that "Loveable" sounded amazing on the orig Columbia domestic vinyl, thought that one song was worth the price of admission alone.

My Ryko has a bonus disk of EC and The Confederates playing live, it is not a full length bonus disk.

- - -

The Rhino will have to be better.
    I have an orig white label Columbia 'My Aim Is True' lp and the Rhino cd has superior fidelity on that title.

12. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Are you sure you don't mean "Jack of all Parades". "Suit" sounds fine, but "Jack" is distorted on the right channel.

- Gabe

13. Dan C

I always thought that the weird stuff going on in "Jack of All Parades" was on the master, but I didn't hear it on the LP. I need to listen on headphones to be sure. Strange that only one song would be affected like that.
    Dan C

14. GabeG

GabeG New Member

The problem with "Jack of All Parades" IS on the master (or at least that's my assumption). It is not Ryko's transfer, that's for sure. It always bugged me on my Columbia vinyl. I thought it was major mistracking only on that one song. When I got the Demon british vinyl it was there also - only on the right channel.

- Gabe

15. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

i have the ryko au-20 gold cd w/ bonus tracks
    and don't really like it.
    i guess it's ok at lower volumes.
    opinions on the new rhino?

16. GabeG

GabeG New Member

The Rhino KOA hasn't been scheduled yet.

- Gabe

17. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

The first pressings of the Ryko issue had a cool bonus CD with a bunch of live tracks by Elvis and the Confederates. I always wondered how many of these things were pressed since I never saw another one after I bought mine the day it was issued.

Chris

18. Dan C

I have that one too, very cool to own. The Ryko of "Blood and Chocolate" also had bonus interview disk with Costello in very early pressings. Unfortunately I never found one.

I looked for the Rhino "Mighty Like a Rose" when I was at Tower in Denver this weekend but it wasn't there. I thought it was out now. :confused: I want it!
    Dan C

19. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

When I bought the Ryko version, mine didn't come with one either. I called Ryko and they told me to send my copy to them and they'd replace it with a copy that had a bonus disc (either that or they just sent me my bonus disc... can't remember really). I lucked out... at the time they only had a handful left.

I just bought it this weekend... I found a promo copy in the used bin for $12 (kind of steep for a promo if you ask me). The bonus tracks are wonderful... I really wish they included ALL the MTV Unplugged songs. I have a bootleg with all the songs performed. It was a great show.

I also saw a vinyl copy of KOA this weekend... I think I'm going to go back and get it. :)

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I saw Mighty Like A Rose at Border's over the weekend, so it did come out. Can't figure why Tower wouldn't have it.

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Picked up the KOA LP today. Listening to "Brilliant Mistake" as I type this in fact. I just A/B'd with the CD, and the CD sounds scooped compared to the LP; there's a nice chunk of midrange taken out that exaggerates the high end. Doesn't surprise me, since I always hated the sound of that CD. I'm glad I picked up the vinyl! And it was only $4!

22. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

funny i saw the columbia cd today and passed.
    good thing though.
    cause vinyl is the way to go
    and inexpensive.
    great songs too.

23. Dan C

Mighty Like a Rose

I found mine at a Circuit City while away on business a few days ago. The bonus disk is playing right now and it is indeed fantastic! I've never heard the Unplugged stuff. It's SO good! I agree, this material should be on it's own disk released in full. The demos are interesting but not as good as demos on "Spike", which is like getting a whole 'nuther album.
    Great stuff. Guess I'll have to buy all of the Rhino/Costello CDs as they trickle out. :love:

BTW, glad you got KOA on vinyl. Are you loving it as much as I love mine? :)

Dan C

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Re: Mighty Like a Rose

It's wonderful! I'm really glad I bought it. It hasn't been getting as much time on my turntable, because I bought the Beatles blue box this week!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.