Could a label somehow get the rights to the DSOTM original QUAD mix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taurus, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

I was specifically thinking of DTS Entertainment because:

1) They are very small compared to BMG or Warner & so wouldn't be a threat to EMI.

2) They could issue it on DTS' "5.1 music disc" format. This is a disc that has only a DTS track on it--that's it. And you can use a regular CD player to play them as long as it has an optical output so a receiver can decode the DTS bitstream.

What kind of negotiating would it take to do this?

Thanks.

[T]

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That DTS only put out selected Quad titles makes one wonder if they either had rights problems with others, or couldn't afford what was being asked for using certain tapes. And, of course, they might have asked and been rebuffed, or never asked at all. Just impossible to say, but if the Quad DSOTM was to be available, you would have expected it to come out long ago. With the new 5.1 mix, hearing it on an official disc is very unlikely, I would think.

ED:cool:

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Unless it was done illegally, the band would have to sign off on any legitamate release. I also don't see it happening anyway because it would compete directly with thie new EMI disc.

4. vex

vex New Member

I understand that DTS was working in earnest to secure the release of the original quad mix of DSOTM as a DTS CD back when they were pretty much the only digital-surround-for-music game in town. As the promise of the new hi-rez digital formats loomed on the horizon, the DSOTM DTS project was dropped.

I had heard that Alan Parsons had even talked to David Gilmour about the project but David did not seem interested at the time (perhaps David knew something that he wasn't sharing with Alan?) I'm sorry, but I don't know any more specifics, but I do know the project made it to the very early stages (on the DTS side, at least).

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The DTS version that is out there is very good btw. It will be interesting to compare the 2 mixes tommw.

JohnG

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Yea, with 5.1 being the "new kid in town" old quad mixes will be for most part neglected. which isnt a really bad thing, as a lot of them were crummy.

ever heard the CCR quad mixes? I mean why did they bother?

7. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I like the CCR quad mix of 'Gold', and on the rare occasion when I play them, -that- is the mix I play.
    Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill is another great quad mix from the 70's era.

8. vex

vex New Member

Me too.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

When the DTS CDs were first being introduced, wasn't there ad campaign something like "wouldn't you like to hear DSOTM in 4 channels, like is was supposed to be heard"???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.